Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Tramore

Options
  • 21-07-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

I'll be holidaying in Tramore next week with my young family. I'm aware there are amusements and fairground rides but can you recommend other things to do in around the area and where is good to eat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Here is my list.....

Bring rain gear, a football and bikes/scooters if you can.

- you are only 30 mins from the some amazing hillwalks- Coumshingaun (suitable for kids 5+) and Mahon falls (both suitable for small kids... part of it is buggy friendly). Do not forget the magic road.
    - walk the Dunmore East to Portally cliff walk.
    -swim in Newtown cove or the gulliamene
    - hot chocolates in the surf club (try a surfing lesson- there are five schools)
    -Moes is a great cafe on the sea front
    - big new inclusion play park on the sea front
    - there is a cycle path into Waterford and you can cycle the new greenway route by the river; the town is very bike friends if you can handle the hills
    - run-a-muck, and pirates adventure are suitable indoor play areas for rainy days; as is the cinemas in Waterford (cheap kids movies in the AM)
    - great discovery ecopark (walk or bike) in kingsfisher on the edge of Waterford city
    - Dooly's fish and chips on main st (take away; bring it to newtown cove picnic tables if it is a nice evening.
    -you have to walk the sand dunnes if you come to tramore.
    - there is a nice walk in Dunhill-Annestown (look out for the fairy doors if you have small kids and climb up to the castle at the end).
    - I would walk barefoot over broken glass to get to a ginos (sit-down) pizza in Waterford; very kid friendly place; save space for icecream
    - Brooklyn is very nice on the sea front; the vic upstairs is a little more adult- lovely for evening meals
    - there is a great skate park beside the surf centre on the sea front (lots of small kids on scooters; bigger kids on boards)
    -Fenor is a tiny village 4 miles west of Tramore- visit the bog walk (short walk easy for kids), see the angels in the grave yard; and a massive play park (bring a football). Also in Fenor is copper coast farm (bring a picnic) it is brilliant for small kids.
    - get the ferry at passage east to visit hook light house and perhaps JFK park (bring a disposable bbq)

Have a blast; if the weather is good there is nowhere better on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

invara wrote: »
    Here is my list.....

Bring rain gear, a football and bikes/scooters if you can.

- you are only 30 mins from the some amazing hillwalks- Coumshingaun (suitable for kids 5+) and Mahon falls (both suitable for small kids... part of it is buggy friendly). Do not forget the magic road.
    - walk the Dunmore East to Portally cliff walk.
    -swim in Newtown cove or the gulliamene
    - hot chocolates in the surf club (try a surfing lesson- there are five schools)
    -Moes is a great cafe on the sea front
    - big new inclusion play park on the sea front
    - there is a cycle path into Waterford and you can cycle the new greenway route by the river; the town is very bike friends if you can handle the hills
    - run-a-muck, and pirates adventure are suitable indoor play areas for rainy days; as is the cinemas in Waterford (cheap kids movies in the AM)
    - great discovery ecopark (walk or bike) in kingsfisher on the edge of Waterford city
    - Dooly's fish and chips on main st (take away; bring it to newtown cove picnic tables if it is a nice evening.
    -you have to walk the sand dunnes if you come to tramore.
    - there is a nice walk in Dunhill-Annestown (look out for the fairy doors if you have small kids and climb up to the castle at the end).
    - I would walk barefoot over broken glass to get to a ginos (sit-down) pizza in Waterford; very kid friendly place; save space for icecream
    - Brooklyn is very nice on the sea front; the vic upstairs is a little more adult- lovely for evening meals
    - there is a great skate park beside the surf centre on the sea front (lots of small kids on scooters; bigger kids on boards)
    -Fenor is a tiny village 4 miles west of Tramore- visit the bog walk (short walk easy for kids), see the angels in the grave yard; and a massive play park (bring a football). Also in Fenor is copper coast farm (bring a picnic) it is brilliant for small kids.
    - get the ferry at passage east to visit hook light house and perhaps JFK park (bring a disposable bbq)

Have a blast; if the weather is good there is nowhere better on earth.

Excellent post, thanks for taking the time to provide excellent information!! We will definitely be using your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What a great post! All very do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Try the narrow gauge railway in Kilmeaden too. Big hit with our three year old recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

When did Cunninghams become Doolys?
    I was down in Tramore yesterday with my mother and daughter. The mother is originally from there and I spent 2 months down there in the 80s and 90s every summer.
    Last time I'd been down there was in 09 and was quite disappointed to see a lot of the lower town down near the seafront looked quite dilapidated.
    Am I right in thinking the whole area has been spruced up in the last few years? It seemed quite revitalised. Fantastic to see, particularly all the new cafes and buildings down near the Lifeguard's Hut.
    Also, is Freddies closed? That used to be my "go to" arcade for years.

• Advertisement

Cunninghams were taken over by another crowd briefly, then Dooleys took it on, about, what? 3 or 4 years now? A lot of work has been done in Tramore over the past while, especially the last 12 months, the place is looking great.

One place to go - possibly not of great interest to kids, but the adults will enjoy it - is the new 'japanese' garden which is lovely. Its being called the Japanese Gardens locally, but it is actually a memorial garden (story of a person's life) in a mostly Japanese style. It is very pretty ad worth a look. http://lafcadiohearngardens.com/

It is signposted, but to those who know Tramore, the access is on Pond road, at Tramore House, you cannot access it from Lr Branch Road.

Children will enjoy the Inclusion Playground, along the prom (well back behind a car park), you can see it from the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

looksee wrote: »
    Children will enjoy the Inclusion Playground, along the prom (well back behind a car park), you can see it from the prom.

It is signposted, but to those who know Tramore, the access is on Pond road, at Tramore House, you cannot access it from Lr Branch Road.

I noticed it the other day and was wondering how to get to it!

What struck me was that there seemed to be a lot more "newer" rides in the amusement park for younger kids along with playgrounds as well.
    I'll definitely be keeping it in mind for a few days next summer with the two little ones and that is something I never thought I'd say after my last trip down there in 2009.
    Also, it looks like the Racecourse has had some serious upgrading and investment put into it.
    Shame about Darrers though (or what used to be Darrers) - it looks very grubby with the charity shop there. Place could do with even a quick lick of paint.

Ah, my post is confusing. The Pond Road directions are to the Japanese gardens. I stuck a para in the wrong place - will change it. The Inclusion Playground is on the Prom, towards the lifeguard hut end, but set back a bit - you have to go across the car park to get to it.

Darrers/Extravision/charity shop is indeed very scruffy, its a very prominent spot and looks like a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Hi,

I'll be holidaying in Tramore next week with my young family. I'm aware there are amusements and fairground rides but can you recommend other things to do in around the area and where is good to eat?

The Airport! It will bring you to sunnier and more pleasant climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

The Airport! It will bring you to sunnier and more pleasant climates.

What... like Luton and Birmingham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

great post invara! Have to say, i had a week off work last week and spent a lot of it out in Tramore, at the beach, park,amusements, fireworks and we went to dunhill to go on the Anne valley walk, the girls loved the fairy doors! What a great way to spend my holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

invara wrote: »
    What... like Luton and Birmingham?

I was thinking back to the days when you could fly to Lorient in France!

Advertisement