Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wearing body armour underneath a leather jacket?

• 21-07-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new leather jacket. Thing is I'm finding lots of stuff I love but its unarmoured so more for fashion wear. So I had the idea of buying some body armour like trial bikers wear and using it underneath a leather jacket.

What's peoples thoughts of this from a safety perspective? Also is there any products on the market that suit my need? I get a feeling armour for trail biking may not be designed for doing a body slide down a road, are there products out there that are specific protection for biking on roads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I always wore the back protection under my leather jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have full armour under my jacket 24/7, knox chest and back protector. Get the gear 1st and have it on you when trying on the leather jacket......

RST 2 piece leathers FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy separate armour for road use, from just a back protector to back/kidney /shoulders/elbows depending on how much you want protect. Just make sure you try both the jacket and armour at the same time on your bike.

If the jacket doesn't offer built in armour and you think it's a fashion item will it protect you as you slide down the road? No point in spending money on separate armour if the jacket doesn't protect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont be fooled to buying one of those flashy SUZUKI. HONDA GSXR etc fashion jackets...thats all they are...while they will offer some protection the stitching isnt as strong as a proper bike jacket..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Leather used in a "fashionable jacket " will be little use to you in the event of a crash, with or without body armour

• Advertisement

TBH IMO...if you feel you need body armour then you really need to get a proper bike jacket...I on the other hand will wear what i feel comfortable in..Leather, wax cotton, rally jacket...t-shirt :eek:....depends on my mood...and the weather obviously...:o

TBH IMO...if you feel you need body armour then you really need to get a proper bike jacket...I on the other hand will wear what i feel comfortable in..Leather, wax cotton, rally jacket...t-shirt :eek:....depends on my mood...and the weather obviously...:o

I would be the opposite, doesnt matter if its 40 degrees middle of summer or -20 I have the armour on with the leathers. And then the rain gear over it in winter or the lining taken out in summer.

The only thing that changes is the boots and the gloves, Knox Handroids for summer with SMX 5 boots. And Held Air n Dry for winter, I have 2 pairs of the boots with and without goretex.

I would feel like an EGGSHELL without the Knox armour TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You might think you look good in jeans/shorts/t-shirt/river island leather jacket rather than proper bike gear but to be honest the only people that notice what you're wearing are other bikers (and probably the guards) and if it isn't proper gear they'll think you look like a nob that's gonna get hurt some day. Do more research and you'll find something that suits your style but make sure to wear the right gear for the job.

zubair wrote: »
    You might think you look good in jeans/shorts/t-shirt/river island leather jacket rather than proper bike gear but to be honest the only people that notice what you're wearing are other bikers (and probably the guards) and if it isn't proper gear they'll think you look like a nob that's gonna get hurt some day. Do more research and you'll find something that suits your style but make sure to wear the right gear for the job.

Youre right....i notice what other guys wear...especially on hot days, and theyre knocking back bottles of water to stay hydrated....
    Its nothing about looking cool (harleys excluded) ..
    IMO in this over protective world we live in now some bikers are gone soft and feel that they have to look the part in ATGATT , thats fine for them and i'd never call them knobs, (thats how its spellt ;)) but as i've said before i wear what i want, not to look cool...just my choice...and i'd never pressurise someone to buy something just because of my opinion..he'll get enough of that when he walks into the bike shop...;)

BTW...i've been told that i DO look good in jeans...nice arse....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

This ATGATT pratice is well & good & certainly is a matter of personal choice, but I find there's also this holier than thou attitude among some bikers that have become almost preachy about it.

I prefer not to be kitted out like a fúcking riot cop when I'm riding & be comfortable with what I have on, nothing to do with fashion.

047dede97c01e2b3948f5d6473c414aa.jpg

I'm sitting having a smoke & a coffee at the M7/junction 14 garage & some bell-end, dressed like a Power Ranger in his 'colour co-ordinated 1 piece leathers that match my baby Blade', comments on my jacket & jeans with, 'you'll know all about it if you have an off in that gear :pac::pac::pac:'

Fúck off, I've been riding bikes while you were still finger painting with your own shíte FFS :mad:

I wear practical gear that is protective but at the same time, I can walk into a pub & not look out of place.

I paid big €'s for a custom made leather jacket (1.4mm front quarter horsehide) with TUV armour (shoulder, elbow, back), ICON Pursuit gloves, a pair of Draggin jeans & a pair of Haix boots with a composite toe & Hydro-Guard waterproofing.

I'm riding 32 years & it is all I've ever used, or a variation of, & I've been fine despite my fair share of off's.

As Zubair rightly said in his post...'make sure to wear the right gear for the job'

• Advertisement

In fairness there is a hell of a difference in lads dressed up like a ceasar salad, and lads in normal 2 piece leathers with full chest and back armour that you cant even see.

But I know what you are saying about the power rangers, once a week summer wannabes. That look the part down the straights and suit goes BROWN first set of twistys encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for the replies lads. I shouldn't have said in the OP that the leather jackets I'm looking at are fashion in the sense of they're made of poor leather, its more so that they're vintage biker jackets with quite thick leather but they dont come with any built in armour so I just couldn't wear one on its own without some having armour underneath.

Anyway I've since done some research and found quite a few options which provide elbow, back and shoulder protection. Some under armour provides all that plus chest protection and a kidney belt which is attractive. This site seems to have most of what's on the market
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10979470/d/street-bike-protection#&&SearchParameters=10-0-0-0-0-1-24-1-6_1-11_1-1_274

Also whilst searching I came across this product- it is a jacket with an air bag inside which inflates when it senses the rider has come off the bike. Not cheap at around €300 but if it protects vital organs the way they claim it would well be worth it.
    http://www.motoair.co.uk/Airbag_Vests.html

I personally would not wear full moto X armour for road riding, Id say it would be most uncomfortable and restrict movement.
    And if you are gonna get an air bag vest then just buy a set of leathers with it inbuilt like the Dainese D Air set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm with Max H, I wear wtf I like.

I've tried a back protector, hated it. I'd hate feel I've to wear all that sh*t tbh.

Midweek its textiles and hiking boots (when I'm not in my sex cycling lyric budgie smugglers).

Weekends its jeans textile jacket and hiking boots into town.

I've two pairs of gloves, an Aldi pair for summer and an old Frank Thomas pair (about 15 years old).

Oh, and I wear an open face helmet!.

ATGATT ~ Meh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Oh, and I wear an open face helmet!.

ATGATT ~ Meh :p
    I've a matte black Arai Freeway lid that I always go back to...it's just like slipping into a comfortable pair of shít-kickers :pac:

$_35.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I've a matte black Arai Freeway lid that I always go back to...it's just like slipping into a comfortable pair of shít-kickers :pac:

$_35.JPG

My Captain America lid :D

356127.jpg

Hey...leave out all this helmet appreciation...we all know where it'll lead to.....:D

Advertisement