Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing indebtedness, declining growth...: the future for developed economies?

• 21-07-2015 5:02pm

...older populations... greater dependence on immigration to fulfil economic goals...continuing technological revolution...

I'm aware this is a massive, and complex, issue. Nevertheless, a clear pattern seems to be emerging which has all of the above characteristics. I'm trying to develop a general picture about where developed economies are heading in the next 10-50 years. I get the sense from reading Piketty and others that we have passed a halcyon post-WW II period of greater equality in terms of education, income and healthcare and are into a period of less regulation, far greater dependency on increasing consumerism and public policy being shaped much more by the needs of powerful corporations.

I'm finding the following helpful:

1. Very informative article: Is there too much debt? ("Of greater concern still is the fact that this debt financing seems to be getting progressively less powerful in terms of the growth it purportedly generates")

2. Global Debt Is MORE THAN TWICE AS BIG As the Entire World Economy … What Does It Mean?

3. The world is drowning in debt, warns Goldman Sachs

What do you see as the future for developed economies?
    Essentially, can our economies grow without this overdependence on debt? It seems like we're just postponing the inevitable collapse by the current culture of borrowing amid slowing growth, older populations etc. Is there anywhere online where the economic future of developed economies is being trashed out in debates and discussions? With machines doing so many jobs, is Carlos Slim's recent proposal for a three-day working week a sign of things to come?...

Advertisement