Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into 6th year... RSR help please

• 21-07-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all, going into 6th year this year and want to ask you for some help on my RSR (history). I'm doing it on computing developments in WW2 and want to do the extended essay over summer. This subject would include a lot about codebreaking, colossus etc. Just need to come up with an order of events and overall topics and subjects for each of my paragraphs which I can then write about e.g pre ww2 computing for context for a paragraph or two and the problems which forced the developments etc.... I find have this much easier and structured. Even the most obvious tips will be of help so fire away with ideas and potential topics and thanks so much for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

sean_b97 wrote: »
    Hi all, going into 6th year this year and want to ask you for some help on my RSR (history). I'm doing it on computing developments in WW2 and want to do the extended essay over summer. This subject would include a lot about codebreaking, colossus etc. Just need to come up with an order of events and overall topics and subjects for each of my paragraphs which I can then write about e.g pre ww2 computing for context for a paragraph or two and the problems which forced the developments etc.... I find have this much easier and structured. Even the most obvious tips will be of help so fire away with ideas and potential topics and thanks so much for the help!

This site was really useful for me during the summer before Sixth Year, especially reading the sample project since I knew the layout.

You'll be happy you're doing the bulk of the work now, you can start drafting it properly with a teacher in September and set it aside for a while.

I assume you're doing HL? Make sure you have three reputable sources (one of which must be from a historian AFAIK). Join your local library (they usually have an archive) and try to use Microfilm!

Examiners LOVE local projects (from the island of Ireland), maybe try and link your project back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

any other help any1 please !?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember it's a history essay, so don't get too carried away on the technical language. You want to talk about how the developments/improvements affected/caused/were caused by/enhanced other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Keep a notebooks in which you write down all your ideas and excerpts from books, web addresses etc.

This is important if God forbid you get called up on plagiarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I'm assuming by code breaking and computational developments you're going to cover alan turing...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Turing-Enigma-Inspired-Imitation/dp/1784700088/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438354799&sr=8-1&keywords=ALAN+TURING
    this book is great.. and is what i used as a primary source..

If you're going to use it I'd find the original version, without the INSPIRED BY THE IMITATION GAME or whatever.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! one last question before I get started: What would my order of events/the main ideas and events I would write about (for 1500 words approx.) I want to list these as things to cover and then procede to fill them in when I write up my essay.
    E.g intro
    context (polish capture enigma, maybe even pre ww2 computing)
    .......... etc. (for you to hopefully fill in :) )
    Thanks so much!

Can Anyone help plz? Want to get started today (preferably) or tomorrow :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

sean_b97 wrote: »
    Can Anyone help plz? Want to get started today (preferably) or tomorrow :) Thanks

Just read all of your source material and you should start seeing how to lay it out. Anyway you'll probably have 2 or even 3 drafts by the end so just write it and then rearrange accordingly, adding and removing where suitable.

didn't believe my teacher when he said i'd have TOO MUCH information! haha......
    cracking the lorenz cypher was what actually required the development of the colussus so thats the actual 'event' and what caused the development if you get me. So for the context and the 'pre' information (if that makes sense) what should I focus on? Could mention the codebreaking before hand (enigma etc.) as the title is "How the codebreaking efforts of the British in Bletchley Park were vital to the developments of computing during World War 2" (or something along that subject anyway, don't mind changing the title slightly). But I obviously can't go on for ages about this as it's 1,500 words so would need to spend a lot of that on my intro,conclusion and all the stuff about colossus, lorenz cipher, impact on war etc but at the same time need some type of context. Hopefully this will be the last bit of help i need sorry for asking so much haha just want a good first draft over summer to make it easier next year. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Select and reject' is a really important skill in History. There's always loads more you could include.

I can only say what I said again, be careful it does not become just an essay about advances in computing. It is a History Research Essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 shannonolan

if your doing ordinary and you hit 1000 words you will lose 10%. make sure all your points are relevant and don't get carried away with your word count remember you have to right it all out and the booklets don't give a lot of space and always bring it back to the title and aims ask your English teacher to read over it because it is an essay and a lot of people forget basic English because you don't get marked on it but if its not written right then they person reading it wont understand.

Advertisement