Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia - cooling off period / change of mind?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭

Just spoke to my father and he told me that he has signed up to switch his electric supply from electric Ireland to Energia.

It is not for his house, but the church is looks after and for the minimal supply they use, I don't think that Energia will be of any benefit. The salesman promised the earth and (from what he has told me) seemed to give him the hard sell and got him to fill out paperwork on the spot.

He is coming over tomorrow and will bring the paperwork with him but just checking if anyone knows what the situation is with regards to withdrawing from this deal.

Can't find anything on their site and their customer service is now closed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TBH as long as you move once your introductory offer is up, there's not much difference in the pricing.

So if his discount with his present supplier is up then he should move , just avoid Airtricity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ted1 wrote: »
    TBH as long as you move once your introductory offer is up, there's not much difference in the pricing.

So if his discount with his present supplier is up then he should move , just avoid Airtricity

The electricity is only used once a day so is minimal. I would see very little savings to be made anywhere.

My father came over tonight with his paperwork from the agent.

My issue with this is the underhand way that it was done. The church and buildings were set up in some odd way originally and there are actually 2 separate accounts and 3 meters. My father is in the process of getting this sorted by a spark so that everything runs through one meter and the extra account can be closed. The agent was told this and yet proceeded to complete switch forms for both accounts anyway.

He also completed a customer satisfaction sheet stating that he had explained all the options, explained online billing, etc etc and had my father sign it.

Needless to say, he explained none of what he ticked to say he had done and simply took advantage of an elderly man who was too gullible for his own good.

I'll be calling them, my father's bank and his current provider in the morning to make sure that this switch is stopped, and then I'll be looking for someone to report this agent to for his shady techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CER will tell you to report to the supplier and the supplier will claim he's gone rogue and will be dealt with. When in fact that's how they're trained and he won't be dealt with. Major CER failing to have all first line complaints put to suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

the guy was a field sales agent for that company and promised your dad the world of savings to sign up. These guys make all they're money through commission and would have definatly wanted the two meters as it would be two sales for the agent. Your dad has a cooling off period I believe of two weeks, maybe one.

I work in phone sales and this would not be my approach, but basically I can guarantee you your dad thought era here's a nice guy , deal sounds good, fair play to him for helping me save money etc.... While the agent is shaking with delight at the thought of the commission off those meters.

Anyway, ring them up explain who you are, tell them the contract was signed without proper explanation. Tell them that your incharge of all your dads dealings and this should have been passed through you first. Also if you want to make a complaint, the agent will not last very long in the field. Good luck.

Advertisement