Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate prices to return to Knock airport?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

What is happening at Knock airport?
    You can fly out of the airport at a very competitive price and yet have to pay a small mortgage to get back in (fly out to Spain,England,Italy, etc for 30 or 40 euro but have to pay c300.00 to return!) I've noticed from Ryanair's timetable.Also I note from the Airports own website that flights eg to Barcelona continue 'til 30 Oct yet Ryanair have nothing scheduled beyond 30th August!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Knock Airport is in serious trouble. Ryanair has basically pulled out and is concentrating its flights out of shannon.
    Its funny how its all going on under the radar (Sorry for the pun) but it does not look well in an election year and a taoiseach from Mayo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    ethical - According to the website, Barcelona is a summer only service. Thur, Sun (June - July).

All the other flights can be booked for months ahead.

Is it really in serious trouble...?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

6541 wrote: »
    Knock Airport is in serious trouble. Ryanair has basically pulled out and is concentrating its flights out of shannon.
    Its funny how its all going on under the radar (Sorry for the pun) but it does not look well in an election year and a taoiseach from Mayo.....

I'd be interested to see a source on this, been up there a few times this year and there are plenty of flights in and out, so not sure where you are getting that from. Be interested to hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Care to expand on This?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Just checked. You can book Ryanair flights in/from Knock until the end of March 2016....(when their timetable changes probably). If the above is true, then surely you would not be able to book these 8 months down the line....?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My girlfriend and I regularly use Knock to travel to the UK using Bristol, Birmingham and Stansted. We usually book a couple of months in advance and have never paid more than 70 euros single. A fortnight ago we did the Bristol route... £14.99 out and £7.99 back.

Rynairs winter schedule rules out Bristol so we switch to the others. In the past 5 years we haven't noticed any decrease in air traffic.

TT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I've a feeling that 6541 might be just a disgruntled FF going by previous posts. I can't say I am happy with FG and what they have done for Mayo which is nothing short of awful, but unless you have a source its pure daft coming out with this sort of stuff.

yop wrote: »
    I've a feeling that 6541 might be just a disgruntled FF going by previous posts. I can't say I am happy with FG and what they have done for Mayo which is nothing short of awful, but unless you have a source its pure daft coming out with this sort of stuff.

How do I post a link to the aviation forum where the status of Knock airport is been discussed, Reduced passenger numbers, reduced flights ?

I love facts - Its a fact that when the debt was cleared from shannon that Ryanair moved its operations from Knock to shannon.
    Its a fact that the government did not fund Knock, instead the connacht county councils made a commitment to fund knock, think about that for a minute. That is mental !I fly regularly, numbers are visibly down, flights are at awkward times, Knock is in bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I love facts - Its a fact that when the debt was cleared from shannon that Ryanair moved its operations from Knock to shannon.
    Its a fact that the government did not fund Knock, instead the connacht county councils made a commitment to fund knock, think about that for a minute. That is mental !I fly regularly, numbers are visibly down, flights are at awkward times, Knock is in bother.

I don't want to dwell long on the politics side but while it would be great locally if Enda Kenny was to pour millions into Knock Airport he wouldn't look great nationally and it would appear he was favouring his local Knock over Cork or Waterford which are also struggling small airports.

I though passenger numbers were on the increase. They had their busiest year ever last year up over 5% and thought they were increasing this year too. Can you link to figures of a downward trend?

Ryanair cut flights in the winter. They always have. I fly to Scotland regularly through Knock in the summer but have to fly through Dublin in the winter.

Flights are always silly times. Doesn't matter on the airport. Anyone here on boards.ie never get a 6 or 7am flight before?

Lastly Knock have big plans going ahead. Airports make a lot of money as people travel thorugh the airport. Following 9/11 most people go straight through security and this is where Knock is laid out poorly with very few shops and facilities after you pass through security. They plan to change this with the money they have received from the local councils and increase retail and commerical facilities post security which will increase airport revenue in rents, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Dudda wrote: »
    I don't want to dwell long on the politics side but while it would be great locally if Enda Kenny was to pour millions into Knock Airport he wouldn't look great nationally and it would appear he was favouring his local Knock over Cork or Waterford which are also struggling small airports.

I though passenger numbers were on the increase. They had their busiest year ever last year up over 5% and thought they were increasing this year too. Can you link to figures of a downward trend?

Ryanair cut flights in the winter. They always have. I fly to Scotland regularly through Knock in the summer but have to fly through Dublin in the winter.

Flights are always silly times. Doesn't matter on the airport. Anyone here on boards.ie never get a 6 or 7am flight before?

Lastly Knock have big plans going ahead. Airports make a lot of money as people travel thorugh the airport. Following 9/11 most people go straight through security and this is where Knock is laid out poorly with very few shops and facilities after you pass through security. They plan to change this with the money they have received from the local councils and increase retail and commerical facilities post security which will increase airport revenue in rents, etc.

Are these plans available Anywhere to look over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Are these plans available Anywhere to look over?

No although they will be on the Mayo County Council website in the future I presume as they would have to apply for planning permission.

Advertisement