Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat sick loss of appetite

• 21-07-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi I am just looking for some advice about our cat. She is 14 years old and has not been too well over the last 2 months.
    She was diagnosed with struvites in her bladder. She was put on royal canin so food and ate it for 5 weeks and then she lost her appetite. We went back to vet and struvites are gone, but she is still not eating. We have tried every food and she eats a tea spoon amount,. We took he back to the vet and he cant find anything wrong.

She has now started to eat her cat litter , does anyone have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated, we are at the end of our tether and love her to bits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Isnt a cat eating her cat litter a sign shes lacking in minerals and that it can be very serious such as kidney failure or something. maybe try a different vet, but back to the vet asap none the less
    edit this is what i got from a website....

If your grownup kitty suddenly starts eating cat litter, she may have a nutritional deficiency or an illness. An anemic cat may eat or lick cat litter trying to add needed minerals to her diet. Feline anemia indicates a deficiency in iron, trace minerals, vitamins or essential fatty acids. Untreated anemia can be fatal. If your adult kitty eats her litter, it also could signal kidney disease, feline leukemia or pancreatitis. Take your feline friend to the vet right away for a complete checkup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My cats all love scrambled egg, if any of them have been sick and off their food, they will eat a bit of scrambled egg (and a bit of coconut oil or butter when cooking, mine prefer that to oil)
    I've 2 cats (and had another that passed away) with history of struvite crystals, expensive foods didn't work, but what did was a good grain free food. (4 special foods over a number of years, 3 years grain free now with no issues)
    It's important to keep up fluids too, helps prevent crystals.

As for the litter eating, I would go straight back to the vet, I would be concerned something else was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Hi thanks for the replies, we are taking her to another vet today, she has eaten a miniscule amount of food this morning. It is impossible to get her to drink water , i have bought a water fountain and she just ignores it , there is also bowls all over the house in different colours and in the garden and still not a chance of her drinking water. what is the name of the grain free food? thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

scholes wrote: »
    what is the name of the grain free food?
    Taste of the Wild
    Acana
    Orijen
    Applaws
    Porta 21 Feline Finest Sensible without cereal
    Porta 21 Wanted
    Purizon

as an initial short list for you. In general anything containing 80% meat is likely to be grain free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has she had bloods done? If not I'd suggest getting it done asap, think it's around €80 for a full panel. Have you tried wet kitten food, when my cat was sick and off her food I got her to eat these mousse type little trays of kitten food, stank to high heaven so tempted her to eat. Or if your in the vets ask for hills a/d tinned food. It's brilliant for sick or recooperating animals with no appetite.

• Advertisement

Hi Thanks again for all replies and the names of grain free foods, I have also tried the ad food and she licks it.

She has had bloods done and her white blood cell count was a bit low but she had the struvites and an infection so this could have been causing it i think. I will take her to vet again , i will get some kitty food on way home anything is worth a try. she is costing us a fortune but she is worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm currently feeding applaws dry and bozita wet, from zooplus online, the tetra packs of bozita my 4 love it.

Hi thanks everyone, the vet is not there tonight but is going to see her tomorrow. I went out and bought john west tuna in brine and a miracle has happened she ate a bit of it and drank all the juice. she's gone asleep now but it has brought her back to life a bit. thanks everyone for your kind replies

Advertisement