Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Beginner

Options
  • 21-07-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I'm looking to get into hiking for a number of reasons. Firstly I've no hobby whatsoever. I love the outdoors and scenery and I'd like a hobby that keeps me active! I'd really like some advice on where to start.
    I'm a 25 year old male looking based in Wicklow and I'm looking for tips on trails, trail lengths, equipment and all other general ideas.

Thanks ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

This is a good start for trail ideas - http://www.walkingroutes.ie. Coillte website is a good start too. There is an active thread in this forum on what equipment to wear, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe join a hiking club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

there are a number of meetup groups that are active in the wicklow area as well, have a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

there are a number of meetup groups that are active in the wicklow area as well, have a look at them.

Any links to these or names,websites etc

markc2951 wrote: »

Let me check with the mods here that it's ok to link to other social sites first, then i'll post a couple up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

just go to meet up groups and search hiking

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

You'll find information on clubs and their contact details on the Mountaineering Ireland website http://www.mountaineering.ie/localclub/

The mods have ok'd this, that's why I was waiting.

I mostly go out hiking with this group. There are a lot of others as well. I've also hiked with these lads and they're a nice bunch too.

It really is about finding a group that you enjoy and are comfortable with.

Advertisement