Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof/winter road shoes.

Options
  • 21-07-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Probably time to pull a trigger on a pair of waterproof or winter road shoes. I am using S-Works from 2008 I think. So I would be looking for something with the similar fit in terms of width at least. Anything worth looking at ? Nothing too warm either I guess so I could use them during the wet days throughout the year.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We regularly have threads asking for waterproof shoes, particularly over the winter. Problem is you cannot keep the water out - it will seep in either via cleat holes or from above. You need to accept that if there is heavy rain or lots of standing water you are unlikely to keep your feet dry. The important thing is to keep them warm. How warm I guess depends on whether you are prepared to go out when it's particularly cold (personally I will no longer go out if there is any risk of ice for exampole, meaning my summer shoes and warm overshoes are all I need)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Beasty wrote: »
    We regularly have threads asking for waterproof shoes, particularly over the winter. Problem is you cannot keep the water out - it will seep in either via cleat holes or from above. You need to accep that if there is heavy rain or lots of standing water you are unlikely to keep your feet dry. The importanthing is to keep them warm. How warm I guess depends on whether you are prepared to go out when it's particularly cold (personally I will no longer go out if there is any risk of ice for exampole, meaning my summer shoes and warm overshoes are all I need)

I can accept that, given that I was out few days ago and with every pedal stroke I was squeezing buckets of water out of the shoes and sock - so a bit of water I don't mind as opposed to a lot of it. In the end I might stick to sealskinz socks, but they're bit too hot for just rainy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have northwave Celsius goretex boots for winter, toasty

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Picking up an old thread from this time last year. Looking at some of the waterproof shoes on offer at the mo, I'm sick of having overshoes keeping me dry enough until the shoes soak up all the water through the cleat holes or through a puddle. I've been particularly unlucky with rain this year so who can recommend me a good pair? I'm thinking mtb pair with spd for walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

cdaly_ wrote: »

Ah you're the one who swears by sandals. If I was touring again I'd consider it but just for the commute and day spins I'd prefer the waterproofs I think. first things first I guess is sealskinz. Shame to be talking about waterproofs on a day like today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a good front mudguard will do wonders for warming your feet in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Front mudguard and Sealskin waterproof socks is a good combination

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the waterproof socks fromSldi last year and they work a treat. I've returned from wet spins where I had overshoes on thinking my feet were dry to find the inside of the shoes soaked yet my feet dry and more importantly, warn. I also have full mudguards and so standing water poses no problems and seepage occurs from above only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I rock along in BBB overshoes(need a new pair) while some rain will roll down off your leg into them the toasty factor on cold days is wonderful. I got them as part of the BTW scheme, they were about €30.00 from the B&M shop but I have seen them online for as little as €10-€15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I see Altura do a waterproof stock as well.
    Anyone any experience of them vs the sealskinz socks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I bought the waterproof socks from Aldi last year and they work a treat.

+1 on Aldi waterproof socks
    Essential

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Get a pair of waterproof over shoes, they keep most of water out but some will always sneak in, just have to live with it, or buy cheap she's you don't mind getting messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Have the aldi socks and find them great . Have a few pairs of sealskinz socks and find them even better especially on long training spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Odd that Sealskinz gloves aren't waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Oh but they are. They hold the water in beautifully...

I put the cuff in under my sleeves to minimise the water rolling down my arm into the glove.

Advertisement