Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever clean out a tower PSU?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Not asking for advice here, just a FYI

My PSU was blowing out fairly warm air, but on this PC I run Folding@Home with a Q6600 quadcore running at 100% CPU for several hours a day. IT used to consume about 250W, measured over several hours.

Cleaned out the fluff today, now it blows cool air and is down to around 160W.

Caution: PSUs can contain high voltages, proceed at your own risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

A tin of compressed air, but seemingly hard to find in cork. Got 1 in pc world but we're out of them on my last visit. Everyone should be cleaning their fans fairly regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I wasn't suggesting it as some kind of radical unheard-of new thing. I've done it to a few PSUs before, But I hadn't measured the power difference before. Doubtless most of the regulars on here will as I do, tend to their CPU fans on a regular basis, and the CPU getting to the limits of its acceptable temp has more immediately obvious effects.

I found it interesting how much less power it used running at full whack when clean.

edit: I'm talking about taking the cover off the PSU and using a paint brush, not just blowing an airline into the case

Advertisement