Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedora 22

Options
  • 21-07-2015 11:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Getting a new Laptop during the week, well 2nd hand, but close to new. I'm considering Fedora 22. I've used Linux Mint for a time on a previous Laptop and found it to be a bit too user friendly. I will be running a Win 7 VM for any Windows Application. Would anyone else recommend anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Itzy wrote: »
    Getting a new Laptop during the week, well 2nd hand, but close to new. I'm considering Fedora 22. I've used Linux Mint for a time on a previous Laptop and found it to be a bit too user friendly. I will be running a Win 7 VM for any Windows Application. Would anyone else recommend anything else?

You'll like Fedora 22 if you're up for something more challenging than Debian. Gnome window manager will take a bit of getting used to but once you do you'll find it very productive. Fedora will come with a software called Boxes that will allow you virtualise your Windows 7 disk, it's very simple to setup. If you Google there are lots of blogs with detailed lists and guides of what to install after installing Fedora 22, Chrome, Skype, restricted repositories, video and audio codecs etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for the Mass. I've been using Fedora 20 on VM for awhile and I like it. I was of the mind to go with 22 anyway, unless there were other recommendations I could look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've used Linux Mint for a time on a previous Laptop and found it to be a bit too user friendly.

Only on this forum..... :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You could go with Arch if you want a bit of a challenge :)

It definitely forces you to learn how everything works and fits together. Stuff like partitioning, setting up a DE etc. Also the AUR is fantastic for installing the latest version of pretty much anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I never expected to read that .... even on this forum :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I work with RHEL v6 and HP-UX on a daily basis, I find it rather simplistic for the entry level Linux user.

Just installed Fedora. The Laptop now runs much faster! :D

You have a new package manager. Most of the yum commands work with dnf, fastestmirror is built in.

Much faster than what?

Maybe I missed what you put on there prior to Fedora ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Much faster than what?

He was using Linux Mint.

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    He was using Linux Mint.

I didn't read that, only ......
    I've used Linux Mint for a time on a previous Laptop

Much faster than what?

Ste- wrote: »
    He was using Linux Mint.

Used Mint on a previous machine. The laptop I have is 2 years old and was running Windows 8. I absolutely fúcking despise that OS. If I have to use Windows, which I do, it's usually Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise.

So the Laptop runs fairly quickly with Fedora 22 on it.

Used Mint on a previous machine. The laptop I have is 2 years old and was running Windows 8. I absolutely fúcking despise that OS. If I have to use Windows, which I do, it's usually Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise.

So the Laptop runs fairly quickly with Fedora 22 on it.

OT
    Windows 8.1 isn't that bad now they've put back the desktop, I was surprised, it's now better than Windows 7 IMO. I have my laptop dual booting it and Fedora 22, mostly use Fedora but 8.1 is now my choice of Windows OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

OT
    Windows 8.1 isn't that bad now they've put back the desktop, I was surprised, it's now better than Windows 7 IMO. I have my laptop dual booting it and Fedora 22, mostly use Fedora but 8.1 is now my choice of Windows OS.

Just wanted to echo this - 8.1 with Classic Shell is about as good as Microsoft have ever done, I find. Speedy, secure and nice looking.

Must try out Fedora 22, running Ubuntu with 8.1 as a dual boot at the moment but getting a bit tired of Ubuntu. I prefer a challenge! :D

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Must try out Fedora 22, running Ubuntu with 8.1 as a dual boot at the moment but getting a bit tired of Ubuntu. I prefer a challenge! :D

It's nice and my DE of choice is LXDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I tend to skip the even numbers just to avoid being on a continual upgrade cycle :) At the moment we've 13, 17, 19 & 21 on the go at work so 23 will be my next target.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just installed it there now, very impressed with the speed on my 3 year old laptop.

Didn't know there was a games version of the distribution. It would be rude not to.:cool:

Advertisement