Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV - Give it to me straight

Options
  • 22-07-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    So after plenty of research and browsing i'm getting conflicting reports about the amount of work available at the moment. Bear in mind that I'd be willing to work anywhere, is there jobs available (labouring, barwor, hotels, etc). Has anyone had a firsthand nightmarish situation where they've not been able to find work and have had to return home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Hey,
    So after plenty of research and browsing i'm getting conflicting reports about the amount of work available at the moment. Bear in mind that I'd be willing to work anywhere, is there jobs available (labouring, barwor, hotels, etc). Has anyone had a firsthand nightmarish situation where they've not been able to find work and have had to return home?

There are always casual, seasonal, hospitality, unskilled labour and retail jobs.
    It has quietened down a bit, but there will still be ag work, hospitality work etc.
    Just keep in ind that for bar work you need RSA etc.
    For Ag Work, you probably need your own transport.

None of them will make you a stash of money, but you'll still be able to work your way from one end of the country to the next if you present well, work hard and have a go.

Worst case, cut your losses when your down to your last few grand and blow it in SE Asia on the way home 6 months later.

One thing Oz experiences will always provide is "conflicting reports" as I have yet to meet two people who did the same thing, went to the same places, found or didn't find the same jobs.

Make a plan A, and a plan B and set a cut-off point for your $$$ then give it a go, or don't. It will definitely be an experience either way. Positive or negative depends on what you put into it and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you are coming for cash, don't bother. As of July 2016, backpackers will be taxed a flat rate 35% with no tax free treshold. That means on an already weakened pacific peso, you will get less than two thirds of every dollar you earn in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Genuinely thank you for highlighting this. Wasn't aware of this until now, I was already making it difficult to balance my budget and tbh this put the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

I'd also just weigh in here and say if your coming for just 1 year it's difficult to say you will earn money to bring home - a lot more to do here than you would at home, travel opportunities, sporting events, concerts etc

You will spend a lot I'm here 10 months and I listened to the myths of lads telling you they earn loads maybe yes over time but not in 1 year

Advertisement