Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy of eircom.net Discover the maximum speed...

Options
  • 22-07-2015 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

hi.

I'm trying to find a house to rent and the very first thing i check if what speed internet i can get at that address.  If the speed is not at least 80Mbps fibre then i discard the house.

I use the eircom.net broadband checker, inputting the address to test.

however, i also compare the address on the 'where and when' site and note the nearest fibre cabinet.

I'm seeing some weirdness when doing this.  For instance, a house i just checked told me max speed is 30Mbps.  But when i look at the map on 'where and when' i can see the house is only about 180 meters away from a fibre cabinet (as the crow flies)

my question is - how accurate would the discover the maximum speed prediction be ?  where does it get its info? is it up to date?  

This is very important to me - I can't take on a 12 month renting contract unless i am 100% sure i will get good internet.   I don't have the phone number at the address obviously, so i have to check the address only. 

Is there any better way i can get the exact speed available at an address? 

thanks for your help.
    cheers
    Adam.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi.

I'm trying to find a house to rent and the very first thing i check if what speed internet i can get at that address.  If the speed is not at least 80Mbps fibre then i discard the house.

I use the eircom.net broadband checker, inputting the address to test.

however, i also compare the address on the 'where and when' site and note the nearest fibre cabinet.

I'm seeing some weirdness when doing this.  For instance, a house i just checked told me max speed is 30Mbps.  But when i look at the map on 'where and when' i can see the house is only about 180 meters away from a fibre cabinet (as the crow flies)

my question is - how accurate would the discover the maximum speed prediction be ?  where does it get its info? is it up to date?  

This is very important to me - I can't take on a 12 month renting contract unless i am 100% sure i will get good internet.   I don't have the phone number at the address obviously, so i have to check the address only. 

Is there any better way i can get the exact speed available at an address? 

thanks for your help.
    cheers
    Adam.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Hi sibergoth

I can relate to the position you find yourself in, it can be a tedious experience. It's important to note that as a rule of thumb eircom can never fully guarantee speeds until a line is installed and tested - but that's not to say we can't offer an indication on what to expect.

My recommendation would be to trust in the speed pre-test over measuring distance from the cabinet - lines are never laid in direct sight of Cabinets and to be honest in my experience of checking speeds for customers I have seen cases where a line is fairly close to cabinet (on that map) yet only receives a fraction of the full speeds.

That's really the only option for checking expected speeds although please do feel free to drop me a PM on an address you have in mind and I'll also see if I can offer further clarification

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement