Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman Kicked Dog

Options
  • 22-07-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I was out jogging last night and i stopped to wait for my mate to catch up, a couple and their kids were playing in this field where i was running and the dog was off its lead. The dog was very friendly and completely harmless, a small jackrussle i think, even came over to me looking to play. But just as we were leaving another woman came in with a similar size dog and the loose dog went over to play with her dog but that woman thought differently and kicked the poor dog. The owner came over and started giving out and the woman was been very cheeky back to them, saying 'go on, report me, like i care'.
    There is nothing the woman can really do to report that woman tho is there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but if the dog is of leash and running over to strangers the owners are seriously at fault before anything else goes on here. They clearly did not have the dog under control which is a key requirement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I would agree with Nody but she is still an ignorant bitch (no offense to dogs) for kicking the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I myself have had to push/kick other dogs away from my 2 dogs which are always on a lead but will attack any dog that comes into their space.

This has happened many times even with warning the other dogs owners.

Some people are just quite slow and don't think of anything but themselves.

Respect others around you and keep dogs under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

There is nothing the woman can really do to report that woman tho is there?

Nope, because she is perfectly within her rights to kick an out of control dog if she perceived it as a danger to herself or her own dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i was thinking the woman with loose dog would get most of blame as dog was off its lead but to kick a dog jus makes me sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Perhaps a bit OTT to kick the dog but you don't know this woman's past experience with dogs. Maybe her dog has been attacked before, or maybe her dog is nervous of off lead in your face 'he's friendly' dogs and liable to snap.

My dog doesn't react kindly to other off lead dogs approaching him while he's on lead. It doesn't help when the owner is within shouting distance shouting don't worry he's friendly he doesn't bite. Then shoots me filthy looks when he kicks off barking and they can't call their dog back because he's too busy stalking mine. I'd never kick the other dog though.

Were you close enough to see how the two dogs reacted? Did it look like one might've been nervous or aggressive. Maybe the woman seen something was about to kick off. How was the dog afterwards anyways, hopefully he wasn't too shaken by the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit OTT to kick the dog but you don't know this woman's past experience with dogs. Maybe her dog has been attacked before, or maybe her dog is nervous of off lead in your face 'he's friendly' dogs and liable to snap.

My dog doesn't react kindly to other off lead dogs approaching him while he's on lead. It doesn't help when the owner is within shouting distance shouting don't worry he's friendly he doesn't bite. Then shoots me filthy looks when he kicks off barking and they can't call their dog back because he's too busy stalking mine. I'd never kick the other dog though.

Were you close enough to see how the two dogs reacted? Did it look like one might've been nervous or aggressive. Maybe the woman seen something was about to kick off. How was the dog afterwards anyways, hopefully he wasn't too shaken by the incident.

i was only a coupe of meters away, the dogs were not growling or standing aggressively, they were wagging tails with tongues hanging out, in a playful mood. The woman was with 2 of her friends and i think she was trying to show off or something acting real snobby and been very rude, the owner of the dog that was loose was going to put him on lead until this woman and dog appeared, its was a empty field. To me the woman over reacted by kicking the dog but this could have been avoided if dog was on lead so it 50/50. (Still against the woman that kicked dog tho, that cruel)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Whilst I don't agree with her kicking the dog, I understand why.
    I was out walking with my mini Jrt & was attacked by 2 labs, owner was a good bit away from them, off lead, wearing headphones, totally oblivious to the fact his lab had badly bitten my 4kg Jrt. " the won't hurt her, they thought she was a rabbit & they never done they before" all sorts of crisp he came out with. As a result when I'm out walking with my Jrt, I will defend my dog & if anyone has a problem with that, it's upto them to put there dog on their lead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Agreeing completely, perhaps for first time ever with galljga1, in that while being off the lease was a wrong any response to said act has to be both reasonable and proportionate as a legal maxim. Kicking the dog was certainly not of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I had to kick more than my fair share of off-lead dogs when walking my last boy, Shadow.
    It was a warning kick to the side or injuries so severe that they would have to be put to sleep. I'm sure I know what most irresponsible and naive dog owners would prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Yup, have had to kick other dogs too. My (slightly dopey) lab got surrounded by small yappy dogs- small jrt I think. He sat down and they started trying to bite him. Nope not happening.
    Second time was when a neighbours rottweiller came out of their garden, across the road and went straight for him, no sniffing, no sizing up, just straight attack. He a good kick to get him off my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

To be honest OP while i do not condone kicking any animal, the dog should have been under control.

Where i live there is this rat of a dog... grey terrier type thing who comes tearing out at my guy, who is on lead, directly beside me... and a few times he has "pretended" to play with my guy... my guy is very friendly..

then he started attacking my guy... whom then started crying etc yelping etc... next time i see that runt if he so much as approaches my dog im going to make a run for him and if he tries to bite my guy again, im sorry but he's def getting a swift kick. Ill defend my dog.

Moral of the story ALL dogs should be on lead in public places - this would avoid this kind of situation arising in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Manach wrote: »
    Agreeing completely, perhaps for first time ever with galljga1, in that while being off the lease was a wrong any response to said act has to be both reasonable and proportionate as a legal maxim. Kicking the dog was certainly not of those things.

That is worrying.

Advertisement