Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to re-roof 4 room cottage

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a cottage that is approximately 80 years old. It has one of the slates missing from the roof so I am thinking much of it will need to be redone i.e. the internal timber replaced but re-using the current slates.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give a ballpark price before I do make an offer. Its a standard old cottage with 4 rooms and two chimneys.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Megs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What type are the slates, are they asbestos cement?

If they are they will need to come off in accordance with the rules for dealing with this stuff.
    Gutters and downpipes probably the same.
    You may have woodworm in the wall plates etc so really u should have a good look inside the attic first.

If u do reroof it get it insulated at the same time, with breathable felt etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

The roof might only that one slate replaced. We can come on here and guess and give worst case scenarios but your safest bet is get an engineer out if your thinking of buying. It's only a small cost in the overall price of a building a good builder could be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bitter pies

What type are the slates, are they asbestos cement?

If they are they will need to come off in accordance with the rules for dealing with this stuff.
    Gutters and downpipes probably the same.
    You may have woodworm in the wall plates etc so really u should have a good look inside the attic first.

If u do reroof it get it insulated at the same time, with breathable felt etc

I unfortunately don't know what the slates are made of and wouldn't know how to go about finding out ( the seller doesn't know). From looking they are about a meter long, wave cement slates. I have had a look in the attic, I couldn't see any visibly rot, except one of the ceilings does have a hole in it most likely caused by wetness. I honestly wouldn't know what woodworm would look like.

@Miname, yes I know it could have minimal effort to fix but I was sort of looking for worst case scenario.

Thank you both for your responses. They were very helpful

Advertisement