Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vendors Solicitor Extremely Slow

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering how can I put pressure on the vendors solicitor?

Went sale agreed at the beginning of March. Contracts have been signed and the sale goes through subject to some conditions. We currently need some documents from the vendors solicitor. My solicitor has written to and put in calls to the solicitor, no response to the letters or to the messages left with the secretary. I've asked the estate agent to contact the solicitor, they have done by phone and email and not received a response.

Do I now need to threaten to pull out of the sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

That is pretty much all you can do in making sure your solicitor and the EA are putting the pressure on.
    Ask your solicitor for advice though, if they feel it is going nowhere and you should pull out I am sure they would have alerted this to you.
    Solicitors can just sometimes be REALLY REALLY slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

That is pretty much all you can do in making sure your solicitor and the EA are putting the pressure on.
    Ask your solicitor for advice though, if they feel it is going nowhere and you should pull out I am sure they would have alerted this to you.
    Solicitors can just sometimes be REALLY REALLY slow though.

Why are they so slow though? Surely it is in their interest to get the property sold and take their fee? Have they taken on too much work and are snowed under? Lazy?

I've spoken to a couple of people who have dealt with this solicitor previously. One left in the middle of proceedings due to errors and delays. The other is waiting until all business is finished with the solicitor and then making an official complaint regarding delays and mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Why are they so slow though?

it is in their blood. even my own solicitor (60yr old lady) gets easily freaked out when i call her more than once a week. just get your expectations adjusted at the beginning is my advice to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I'm afraid the archaic ineptness of property transaction in this country is accepted as 'normal' by all vested parties. Auctioneers and Solicitors beat to their own drum.
    The only power a purchaser has is the nuclear option - pull out! But then the purchaser is still liable for incurred costs(engineer,valuations,solicitors)!
    IMO, houses should not be let on the market unless all contracts are in order, just like auctions, or at least hold vendor responsible for costs after sale has been agreed.
    To be blunt, it boils my piss!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its probably the vendor TBH a lot of the docs come from them via the solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Sorry to hijack but I think my question is relevant to this thread.

Is it common for the contracts to be signed before all the documents are ready?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Rew wrote: »
    Its probably the vendor TBH a lot of the docs come from them via the solicitor.

Vendor has told the EA that they have furnished the solicitor with all documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

Rackstar wrote: »
    Vendor has told the EA that they have furnished the solicitor with all documentation.

Ask the EA to tell the vendor that you are concerned, and that they need to put pressure on their own solicitor to get things moving? But that's about all you can do unfortunately

Why are they so slow though?

They live in a different dimension where time does not exist...

Contracts have been signed

subject to some conditions.

Do I now need to threaten to pull out of the sale?

Unless the conditions are very clear and objectively can't be met, you can't unilaterally pull out.

• Advertisement

They live in a different dimension where time does not exist...

This one certainly appears to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Unless the conditions are very clear and objectively can't be met, you can't unilaterally pull out.

Assuming there is a closing date indicated on the contract if that has passed they can press the vendor to close within a reasonable time. If the vendors can't do this the buyer can sue to close or walk away from the deal with their deposit. At least that is what my solicitor said when I was selling.Now I don't know if contracts need a particular clause in them to cover this.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

If the vendors can't do this the buyer can sue to close or walk away from the deal with their deposit..

Either side can sue for specific performance of the contract.

From a buyers perspective, if the vendor refuses to engage, it will take several years for court action to be finalised, but he will then get the property at todays price (the contract price) less his legal costs and less an allowance for any damage or deterioration to the property in the intervening time.

Vendors mess with contracts at their peril.

Advertisement