Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cook sets

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Can anyone reccommend a decent cook set for 2 adults and 2 kids.
    Ive been looking at a few but its hard to find good reviews. Most are along the lines of
    "just bought this and it looks great"
    The ones ive lokked at are
    outwell feast medium for €50 but this is without a kettle.
    halfords urban escape for €30 but again no kettle.
    yellowstone snowdonia cook set for €47
    and
    vango aluminium cook set for €40.

Id rather keep it at €50 or under if possible but would rather spend a little more than wish i did afterwards. I also have a little kettle that will do the job for now but will need replacing soon so if one comes with the set then great but its not essential.
    Are any of the campers here using any of the above? If not what are ye using?
    Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What you are cooking, what are you cooking on and are carrying it in a car or on your back?

For a family most kettles in camping sets are too small and if weight isn't an issue a heavy cast iron frying pan is great for fry ups on any stove and on a camp fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Cheers for the reply.
    Itll be carried in the car so weight isnt a huge issue but but id rather something that fits into each other as space is lacking in the boot. We have a double burner gas stove for cooking.
    As for what we will be cooking? Spuds, rice and pasta in the pot and the odd fry up and meat for dinners in the frying pan.
    Its just the 2 of us drinking tea so a large kettle isnt needed.
    The set we have was cheap and cheerfull when first bought and is well used and needs to be replaced. Id rather something decent this time round tho so we dont spend more time cleaning it than cooking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I got the halfords urban escape set. Used it already and excellent non stick surface, cooks quickly and cleans up well.
    Bought vango whistling kettle separately on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Cooking sets.....whaaaaaaa????? what happened to wrapping food in tin foil and sticking it on the fire, heating water in a battered metal teapot over a fire all those outdoor things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

53 degrees north have a sale with 40 % off vango at the moment, you can get the set and a kettle separately and will be cheaper than 50 € .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You don't need a kettle. You can heat water for tea just as quickly in one of the pots as in any kettle. Save on weight and cash.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Red Kev wrote: »
    You don't need a kettle. You can heat water for tea just as quickly in one of the pots as in any kettle. Save on weight and cash.:)

A kettle has loads of advantages

1) Its a kettle it can't be used as a pot so won't have baked beans burnt on the inside when you need it
    2) It pours better than a pot
    3) Its safer to pour than a pot
    4) You can even be fancy and have a whistle so you know when the waters boiled.

If you are using a pot then it needs a lid to save heat and reduce boiling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

I ended up getting the halfords urban escape set and their own brand whistling kettle, that doesnt whistle lol.
    The cook set is fine but the handles are very loose. If your on any kind of slope they fall back in around the pots and get very hot. Other than that it does the job fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Little piece of string around the 2 handles to tie them together sorts that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

https://www.alpkit.com/cookware

Alpkit have options in Aluminium and Titanium.
    I have the Titanium mytimug with the koru stove, Also can recommend the trangia stuff have had for about 10 years which all stacks together including kettle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement