Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you keep on top of housework/daily routine with kids?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Good Lord life is too short!!!!

That schedule would be pretty standard I'd think in most homes! Mines pretty much identical except mines a handwritten list that I like to tick off lol! Also I like to do the majority of the cleaning on a Friday, so everything's clean for the weekend!

Also I could never do the windows, I'd rather pay someone for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

That schedule would be pretty standard I'd think in most homes!

Really?! Not in my house or any of my close friends ;) a dirty bunch we are obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭millie_moo

I can't see the schedule? Am I missing something

Really?! Not in my house or any of my close friends ;) a dirty bunch we are obviously :)

Yeah I'd think most people with a few kids would do a wash everyday , and dust/ Hoover/ mop/ clean bathrooms etc once a week. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

millie_moo wrote: »
    I can't see the schedule? Am I missing something

Are you on a phone? I don't think it shows up on the touch site!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Tbh, it doesn't really take that long once the house is clean enough to begin with, it's just a matter of keeping on top of it. I have the daily stuff down to about 30-45 minutes which I try and blitz through in the morning after breakfast. Our downstairs is open plan so the kids will be playing in the sittingroom while I tidy around them.

I don't always manage to get the bigger stuff on the list done on the days I have set out and when this happens, I'd have to get it done in the few hours that my OH takes the kids to his parents (I prefer to do sweet f all in silence during this time :) ) If I was to get a cleaner, it would be these jobs they would be doing.

The schedule probably seems a bit anal but I don't stick to it militantly, it's more of a guide and I find it easier to have it set out so that I know what I'm aiming for.

Yes little piggy I'm on my phone! God damn it! Only a recent poster to boards so may hound you with questions lol

Mrspost, how do u manage to get out of visiting the inlaws? Need tips lol

Can't seem to edit on my phone either? Or quote? Grrrr

Yeah I'd think most people with a few kids would do a wash everyday , and dust/ Hoover/ mop/ clean bathrooms etc once a week. No?

Yup obviously doing the cleaning part. It was having the schedule or handwritten list that I was referring to. We don't keep track or have a written weekly list of things to tick off! Just thought that was funny :)

Yes little piggy I'm on my phone! God damn it! Only a recent poster to boards so may hound you with questions lol

Mrspost, how do u manage to get out of visiting the inlaws? Need tips lol

I can open it from the phone

• Advertisement

Yup obviously doing the cleaning part. It was having the schedule or handwritten list that I was referring to. We don't keep track or have a written weekly list of things to tick off! Just thought that was funny :)

Ah I like ticking off lists! Makes me feel like I'm doing something lol. Also makes sure I do things in the right order, so I don't repeat myself, like tidy, then bins, the dust, Hoover etc. also so I don't forget anything and helps me remember when I last changed sheets etc.

Handy when you've a kid running circles around you and distracting you!

Am I the only fool that hoovers downstairs at least twice a day??

Nope, I sweep around at least twice a day. My old house had carpet so I was constantly hoovering downstairs but this place has wooden floors so it's easier to sweep. Thankfully only have carpet on the stairs now.

I usually end up washing the floors more than once a week too cos my little fella is constantly walking lumps of banana into them :rolleyes: And for every other day and random stain, I use floor wipes, they're dead handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Nope, I sweep around at least twice a day. My old house had carpet so I was constantly hoovering downstairs but this place has wooden floors so it's easier to sweep. Thankfully only have carpet on the stairs now.

I usually end up washing the floors more than once a week too cos my little fella is constantly walking lumps of banana into them :rolleyes: And for every other day and random stain, I use floor wipes, they're dead handy :)

This us where my dogs come in handy.....crumbs/or lumps of food are non existent in my house :D:D

Mrspostman you are sooo organised please come to my house and whip me into shape!!!! We don't have any list!! Upstairs is like a bomb went off as we are trying to paint floorboards with an 18 month old and 2 dogs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Yes :)

I'm cracking up here at the thoughts of cleaning lists. Thank god, my other half doesnt read this...

We're hopefully moving house in a month from a 2 bed ex corporate house to a 4/5 bed.... The thoughts of cleaning it makes me gag a little.....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Nope, sometimes 3 for me depending on how much crap the kids have dropped during the day. Kitchen table (and counter tops ) gets hoovered as well sometimes!

I would do most of the chores listed on the chart but i don't have lists, just a mental one. I do get stressed if i miss 1 day of putting a wash on though, why have i turned into my mother!!

Millem wrote: »
    Mrspostman you are sooo organised please come to my house and whip me into shape!!!! We don't have any list!! Upstairs is like a bomb went off as we are trying to paint floorboards with an 18 month old and 2 dogs!!!!

I love being organised and making lists! (I also may have a slight stationery fetish that fuels my love of wrting everything down :o ) I have to admit though, I'm good at organising but sometimes not so good at following through and doing what's on my lists. They still look impressive stuck to the fridge though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I love being organised and making lists! (I also may have a slight stationery fetish that fuels my love of wrting everything down :o ) I have to admit though, I'm good at organising but sometimes not so good at following through and doing what's on my lists. They still look impressive stuck to the fridge though :pac:

Are you my sister by any chance? :pac:
    I'm sooooo far behind in my house, and I'm at home full-time so I don't even have the excuse of working! OH finished his course but his dad is very unwell in hospital and when he gets home all he wants to do is rest! We also have a border collie who is blowing his coat at the moment, and Abigail is still crawling which means that anything she is snacking on gets mushed into the floor! We don't have a dishwasher, tiny kitchenette so no room for one either. Means that in order to be on top of things I have to wash dishes roughly 4 times a day, have to hoover downstairs twice a day and steam mop once a day. I need to put on at least 1 load of laundry per day and our drier is tiny so each load is two drier loads, sometimes 3 if there are towels in it!

Since OH finished up we've started decluttering and the town got one of those public laundrette things so he's said that we can start using that if the washing gets on top of me!
    Having a toddler and being 23 weeks pregnant seemed like a really good idea at the time :rolleyes:

There's only 12 months between my 2 kids so I was in the same situation as you last year shasha! It was really tough. As the pregnancy went on, I started to have what I called 'bedroom days' where I would bring loads of toys into my bedroom and literally just spend the day in there with my little boy playing on the floor or bed. It was great for containing any mess :D We had no dishwasher either, so I would just rinse whatever plate and cup I used for breakfast and reuse throughout the day. Around 8 months, the nesting kicked in and I would do a huge clean, bleaching and steaming everything (and be susbsequently crippled from it) but then get super stressed about my little boy making food stains on the floor etc :rolleyes:

There's only 12 months between my 2 kids so I was in the same situation as you last year shasha! It was really tough. As the pregnancy went on, I started to have what I called 'bedroom days' where I would bring loads of toys into my bedroom and literally just spend the day in there with my little boy playing on the floor or bed. It was great for containing any mess :D We had no dishwasher either, so I would just rinse whatever plate and cup I used for breakfast and reuse throughout the day. Around 8 months, the nesting kicked in and I would do a huge clean, bleaching and steaming everything (and be susbsequently crippled from it) but then get super stressed about my little boy making food stains on the floor etc :rolleyes:

The last time I steamed the floor I refused to let the baby on it for like a whole day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

OK what's this floor steaming you speak of? I've only ever swept and mopped, I like the idea of steaming, seems cleaner than mopping and just moving the germs around! Never heard of steaming though, what kind of a gadget is involved, is it expensive?

OK what's this floor steaming you speak of? I've only ever swept and mopped, I like the idea of steaming, seems cleaner than mopping and just moving the germs around! Never heard of steaming though, what kind of a gadget is involved, is it expensive?

Have you ever seen that ad on tv h2o streamer? I have a Karcher one. Lidl sell the Karcher one and rebrand it as silvercrest for around €70.
    You just add water and it uses a cloth and it blasts the dirt off! You can use the nozzle either and litteraly watch the dirt inbetween tiles lift off.

I have tried a vax one and threw it in the bin as it was rubbish :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Another fan of steam cleaning here. What you do in an hour with a steam cleaner would take hours cleaning normally. You are also using no chemicals. Your tiles literally gleam.

Oh I soooo need a steamer now!!

It's actually a Vax one we have, got it on sale in Oxendales for €50. It's used at least every day downstairs and once a week as a glide over the carpets upstairs after we've used the shake n' vac.
    Marvellous inventions, as I bloody hate mopping!

It can be used on carpet too????

It can be used on carpet too????

Yeah but I wouldn't waste my time or energy. I used to rent a carpet cleaner every 3 months and OMG the filth that would come off it!! :eek:
    If you are in South dublin "hills hire" are very good. We have no carpet in our house now thank god :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh God it's amazing :)
    6 months after baby, we bought a dishwasher. The piles of dishes were making me totally stressed out, I'm a real clean-as-you-go type. 2 months ago I got a steam cleaner. It's my new best friend. Kitchen floor is filthy from 13 month old learning to eat, so it's fantastic - just swipe it over the floor every few evenings and it's done!!!! We got a Vax one on sale in DID for about 60eur. They're great for cleaning showers and bathrooms too, if you're that way inclined!

Hoovering twice a day is serious dedication. I hoover once a week and do a couple of thorough sweeps during the week. One baby and two cats makes for a messy floor. But thankfully we are passing the crawling stage, so the evidence of the dirty floor on the knees of her trousers is significantly less :) I usually do a wash once a day and run through the house in a couple of hours once a week. I absolutely hate having a dirty house, I get very disturbed if it's not cleaned a minimum of once a week.

FYI, this is a great thread. So glad to know I'm not alone!!

I have this karcher one:http://www.karcher.ie/ie/Products/Home__Garden/Steam_cleaners/Products/15122130.htm

It's bulky so a bit of a pain to drag around but it's bloody brilliant, I wouldn't be without it. There's so much you can do with it. I would agree about the carpets though, I tried to clean a rug with mine and it wasn't worth the hassle. Fantastic for tiles and soooo easy to clean the oven and oven door with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What about wooden floors/laminate? In a rental here!

Advertisement