Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you keep on top of housework/daily routine with kids?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What about wooden floors/laminate? In a rental here!

I used to use it on orginal floorboards and semi solid in our old rental and it brough them up fab.
    Your floors are practically bone dry after steaming them unlike mopping there is no "drying" time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

What about wooden floors/laminate? In a rental here!

We are in a rental with laminate too and its fab! Really makes them look fresh laid. We only use it to freshen the carpet upstairs, not to actually remove stains. Helps give it a fresher smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

No no, it's always cleaning before shower, otherwise I'd only dirty myself again and be all stinking of bleach :eek: :pac:

God I would love to try that throwing stuff out rule with my OH he's an absolute terror for leaving stuff around.

Here's my schedule millie_moo just to give you an idea of what I do:

That schedule is amzeballs! I am definitely going to try something like that and if fails..get a cleaner to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Late entry to this thread; Having read through it all I'm now fully convinced that we should get a cleaner.
    My wife wants/needs the house a whole lot cleaner than even registers in my head, pretty much the same as the rest of you on here :). We've a 15 month old and my wife works 4 days a week. She doesn't have the time to be cleaning, and I don't have the will.

So, any recommendations for a cleaner in D14?
    Or I might just take a punt on hassle.com and hope I get one of the good ones.

Cheers
    DD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Late entry to this thread; Having read through it all I'm now fully convinced that we should get a cleaner.

DD

You defo should. We have a cleaner and we've always had one in every house we've lived in. I actually couldn't live with my husband without a cleaner, the marriage simply wouldn't work!

Cleaner does all the icky jobs like bathrooms & cleaning the cooker and hoovering and washing all the floors. He also hangs out the washing if I've put a load on in the morning and takes whatever's hanging on the clothes horse off and kind of folds them. He makes the beds and washes the high chair and the mat underneath it. So we just have to clean up after eating/cooking and keep the place tidy.

I always found cleaners either by asking people for recommendations or look for signs up in your local supermarkets. Alot of supermarkets (even small ones) have notice boards and people will have notices up.

Generally I get them to come while I'm there for the first while til I've built up some trust and then I give them a key so they can come when I'm not there (way handier)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How does it work when you have a cleaner coming once a week? Do you do the floors and bathrooms yourself inbetween or do you go a week without those things being done?

Can definitely see the merits in having someone come to do the big jobs like the oven and Windows. The ironing would be great. (I throw dry clothes into the presses in a ball and we iron as we go.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I rarely clean the floors between cleaner visits. We keep our place tidy and the place is always tidy the day she calls so she can get straight into cleaning. Our cleaner does the kitchen, fridge, oven, bathroom, floors, dusting, changes bed clothes every second week and irons shirts the other week. I don't iron anything anymore. Everything gets folded up and put away. Every few months I take a notion and iron my own blouses etc.
    I've always found cleaners through recommendation. The only time I used an agency it was a disaster and they seemed so lazy by comparison.
    A cleaner is an essential for us. We couldn't survive without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'm feeling a bit of a slob reading about people cleaning floors twice a day. :o I'd say I do mine once a month, if that! Other than that, I just spot clean as needed.

Having said that, my son lives with his dad most of the time at the moment, so I guess when it's just me here most of the time, I generate less mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just booked a cleaner for a spring clean before Christmas based on this thread. Given the amount of tidying I've done to get to the 'allowing a cleaner into the house stage" I'm pretty sure I needed it rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Just booked a cleaner for a spring clean before Christmas based on this thread. Given the amount of tidying I've done to get to the 'allowing a cleaner into the house stage" I'm pretty sure I needed it rofl

I am the same....I tidy before the cleaner comes. Its just a dig out but worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Whispered wrote: »
    How does it work when you have a cleaner coming once a week? Do you do the floors and bathrooms yourself inbetween or do you go a week without those things being done?

Can definitely see the merits in having someone come to do the big jobs like the oven and Windows. The ironing would be great. (I throw dry clothes into the presses in a ball and we iron as we go.)

We go a week without those things being done.
    We actually only recently changed to weekly cleaner, it was always fortnightly cleaner before that. And when it was fortnightly cleaner we didn't clean inbetween unless there was a spillage and a floor needed a hoover etc

We don't tidy before he comes either!

Advertisement