Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Britain at the Bookies"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ManagerXI

The producers of this show have an agenda to show that bookies are a scourge on society...

I watched the first 2 episodes and the only thing resembling a professional gambler was the golf guy who writes for the racing post. That guy is nothing more than a degenerate gambler, no long term professional bettor bets like him and its laughable that he continues to call himself a professional when he had less than £5k to bet with. He will crash and burn multiple times until he finally gives up and gets a 9-5. I hope he does it before his wife leaves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

ManagerXI wrote: »
    The producers of this show have an agenda to show that bookies are a scourge on society...

I watched the first 2 episodes and the only thing resembling a professional gambler was the golf guy who writes for the racing post. That guy is nothing more than a degenerate gambler, no long term professional bettor bets like him and its laughable that he continues to call himself a professional when he had less than £5k to bet with. He will crash and burn multiple times until he finally gives up and gets a 9-5. I hope he does it before his wife leaves him.

I wouldn't say Coral were too pleased about how it turned out, pretty much an anti gambling show with nothing positive about the industry.

Out of the numerous gamblers they followed only the (already wealthy) man who was getting limited stakes and the guy who has a 4 euro max bet didn't have gambling problems. It was a cop out to paint the betting industry that way but what the viewing public want to see is drama and sob stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is absolute nonsense and illegal. Is there camera's above the counter with lads in headoffice watching away or something?

Yes it does happen this way, i know because i know of 2 people working in 2 head offices of different bookies so there you go with your think you know it all attitude.

and anyone complaining about getting political bets rang over and refused deserves the conptempt with which they are being treated

Why is that, i spot value and take advantage of it, that is what gambling is about, why should i be held in conptempt.
    Perhaps its because i showed you up a few times last year over on the american football forum for gambling, obviously you cant make money from gambling and you hate someone who can, sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Yes it does happen this way, i know because i know of 2 people working in 2 head offices of different bookies so there you go with your think you know it all attitude.

Albeit it was over 5 years ago, but I was an interim manager of a betting shop and there was no such procedures in place. Quite common to ring hq over large bets on markets outside racing and top flight team sports. They might ask if you recognised the customer that was about it, the decision would be made in a few minutes and the bet was accepted or else stake reduced. There was no pictures kept nor did the traders have a live feed of the shop(our cctv was stored inside the shop, I do believe it would be unheard of in any Irish business to have streaming directly into head office) or anything similar. There was also a cluster of Bookies in the same area and I never heard employees in those shops describe anything like what you've described.

"Restricted" gamblers are few and far between in any betting shop as far as im aware, and its still the easiest way for a shrewd punter to get his bet on. In my 2 years in I only remember 1 person and two of his family members who we knew to be placing bets for him, who was heavily restricted. If I recall correctly he was allowed less than e5 on early prices but if he came back at opening show we would usually accept most of his bet. In contrast there was at least a dozen people who signed exemption papers due to problem gambling.

Most large bets on exotic markets would be turned away unless it was a shop regular to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Spot on Greg, correct on both counts. Nobody, unless you're a complete and utter known mug, will or should be getting laid big bets on political joke markets. Complaining about it shows a lack of knowledge of the industry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Posts deleted, infractions handed out for personal abuse. Back on-topic please, or the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

a professional gambler was the golf guy who writes for the racing post.

What about the guy doing rugby MOTM bets?
    He ended up being restricted at the end of the 1st programme to peanuts or having his account closed.
    was an interim manager of a betting shop and there was no such procedures in place

Would depend on what bookie it was.
    Different bookies would have different attitudes to different bets on different markets.
    Much easier to get on with a smaller bookie that is near a "large" bookie as they don't want you going down the road and doing it elsewhere.
    Most of them just look up the price on the internet if they don't have it and work off that, you just won't be able to do it very often if there are winners.
    Always helps if you are a regular in a shop and a losing punter at that.
    Bookies never like to turn down/restrict bets with their regular punters.

I doubt if bookie shops have a live stream to HQ as it would surely come under the Data Protection Act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I doubt if bookie shops have a live stream to HQ as it would surely come under the Data Protection Act?

Not sure it does. I work in HQ of a large retail chain. Guy that sits near me is in fraud prevention and is regularly looking at CCTV footage on his computer - although saying that it may not be live, if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I don't know guys, the machines are a no-go everyone knows that.

But it just reinstates the fact that if you know something is going to win -bet on it.

Then , be able to go weeks on end without betting again. If your a full-time Gambler then in my view your an addict by nature . You have to treat it as a 9-5 & that sound alot more glamorous than it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I used to work in the head office of a very large UK based bookies and the traders there could access CCTV from the shops. It wasn't live and I think it would have to be pretty extreme circumstances like a massive win or a suspicious bet for them to bother to look at it. They weren't sitting there with a live feed to the shops while they were on the phone or anything like has been suggested here. They definitely don't have pictures of thousands of punters with notes on them, unless it's changed drastically in the past 3 years!

Im thinking a poster with two accounts and backs himself up by posting as another poster.
    Looking at post history of the 2 posters, both have posted in the exact same forums and both support Galway.
    I think someone got found out, which is not surprising the way that poster acts.

Ah ffs more deluded nonsense. Still waiting for proof of where you showed me up in the NFL forum, or which bookies risk departments your two mates work in where they sit there monitoring shops cctv constantly?

Ah ffs more deluded nonsense. Still waiting for proof of where you showed me up in the NFL forum, or which bookies risk departments your two mates work in where they sit there monitoring shops cctv constantly?

Where did i say they sit there monitoring shops cctv constantly? I didnt so dont make up stuff as you go along.
    1 of them works for a small chain of bookies and they have pics of customers that are barred from there shop and pics of punters that they will take very little
    or no money off of.
    Another worked a few years ago in the I.T department of a bookies and said the risk department had pics and nicknames on customers of various shops with notes are them.
    As regards the NFL you are knowledgeable but got pissy with me last season where i picked a bet and won it when you said the team had no chance.
    I would be more than happy for each of us to document our bets on American
    Football this year on the third party site i use to sell my picks, it would be free to enter your plays and all would be able to see after the plays are complete.

Hah, actually the below quote is what I picked on, you being cocky and condescending despite talking absolute rubbish. I never say something has no chance, goes exactly against what I believe in. Everything has a chance you just have to find odds that are too big for that chance. So stop making stuff up.

Ok, so now we're down to one small bookie and another big one. Care to name the big one where the risk department sit there with CCTV access to shops? If you want people to believe/respect you, post up screenshots of these massive 4 figure bets with pinnacle before the game, and lose the attitude that you're gods gift at making money (while still feeling the need to tell strangers online as much at every opportunity)

Easy for the skins here, been watching both teams all season and i would of made Dallas -3 favs here, no way -9, just another example of how the public got
    it wrong and just follow the line that the bookies have set.
    As the great investors say you got to spot value and buy when everybody else is selling, you cant learn it, its a skill that you can get from experience but even then you might not get it, your either born with the sense or not.

I never say something has no chance, goes exactly against what I believe in. Everything has a chance you just have to find odds that are too big for that chance. So stop making stuff up.
    If you want people to believe/respect you, post up screenshots of these massive 4 figure bets with pinnacle before the game, and lose the attitude that you're gods gift at making money (while still feeling the need to tell strangers online as much at every opportunity)

Yes everything has a chance, which is why i cant quiet understand why you get so pissed off when im able to cap games and pick many winners, is it because you are not able to pick and make a profit yourself.
    I post up my picks because i like to help people try and get a few winners, i have a log on here where i give baseball picks and anyone who has followed on here is up nearly 50 Pts this season, not bad for some who you thinks talks rubbish.
    When i put up some of my plays over on American Football i dont always mention how much i put on but sometimes i do, i dont see what the problem with that is as many other people do as well, i dont see why i should put up screenshots just to please you but i will put up a screenshot of a few of those last season bets from Pinnacle tomorrow.
    I have made consistent profit over the last few seasons and have plenty of followers that can vouch for me, my MLB followers this season are up nearly 160 Pts profit on another site where all my plays are tracked.
    You have said on a few occasions i dont know how to cap games when in fact my record would prove otherwise.
    I ask again will you get your plays tracked this season on Football and lets see who is talking rubbish as you would say and lets see who will come out on top

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Lads, take it to PM, or I'll have to step in.

Back on-topic please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Doubt there is a poster on here who's made more dosh than Hulk this year. Nice 269/1 winner at the weekend as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Doubt there is a poster on here who's made more dosh than Hulk this year. Nice 269/1 winner at the weekend as well

269/1 :eek: what was the bet

I dont see where he posted that pick anywhere?
    I would hazard i have made more dosh than hulk, if anyone follows Baseball i have been giving a free pick most days and up 52 Pts over on my log,i dont see hulk hands doing a log, he prefers to shout from the sidelines.
    On my Baseball log putting 20 Eur per point on that would of netted over 1k to anyone who followed and up over 160 Pts on a fully tracked website where i sell my picks on baseball.
    Baseball is one of the most difficult sports to get a edge on but my track record is proven.

My last post because its off topic. When betting becomes more about actually being able to get a bet on Jonjo, rather than choosing out the selections themselves, you stop worrying about posting up selections for strangers to see on an internet forum. A) You don't want anyone robbing your price on you, B) You dont want any stream of money following you in to draw attention to your precious account and C) any info you do share would happen to be with actual real life mates (PC above would be one), rather than a pack of strangers on a forum. I have put up plenty of good stuff in the past, as you would see if you actually looked through those threads you keep referring to.

Nowadays when I see a bet (and i have a lot of bets), my limited time is consumed by trying to back the selection rather than ego tripping on a public forum. FWIW considering you keep calling me a losing punter, ive made more money gambling this year than in wages, and my salary wouldn't be insignificant whatsoever. Thats despite not having an account left in my own name in yonks. If your doing better than that by backing on Pinnacle and matchbook, and selling selections, then fair play. Ill always have my doubts obviously, but then again, im a stranger on a forum, so who cares

• Advertisement

My last post because its off topic. When betting becomes more about actually being able to get a bet on Jonjo, rather than choosing out the selections themselves, you stop worrying about posting up selections for strangers to see on an internet forum. A) You don't want anyone robbing your price on you, B) You dont want any stream of money following you in to draw attention to your precious account and C) any info you do share would happen to be with actual real life mates (PC above would be one), rather than a pack of strangers on a forum. I have put up plenty of good stuff in the past, as you would see if you actually looked through those threads you keep referring to.

Nowadays when I see a bet (and i have a lot of bets), my limited time is consumed by trying to back the selection rather than ego tripping on a public forum. FWIW considering you keep calling me a losing punter, ive made more money gambling this year than in wages, and my salary wouldn't be insignificant whatsoever. Thats despite not having an account left in my own name in yonks. If your doing better than that by backing on Pinnacle and matchbook, and selling selections, then fair play. Ill always have my doubts obviously, but then again, im a stranger on a forum, so who cares

I agree with some off your points, i post after i have made my bets so nobody is going to rob the price on me, i do this because i love talking about and engaging with other posters about gambling on here and always help out if i can.
    My log is to market myself as lots of other people do, you might take that as being cocky but if you know me im far from that.
    Im only started selling my picks this March as i have had a few years of good seasons om MLB and NCAA with my selections on other forums so i said why not try and make some extra selling my picks.
    I would have no problem in showing you my stats on a fully verified site by P.M as its not allowed to advertise here, i have nothing to hide and can post screenshots of a few bets both winners and losers from the NFL last season to the forum.
    I have no problem with you to be honest but i just dislike being told im talking rubbish on a forum when i have quiet a good record on here and try to give other posters a heads up in what i consider good value bets.

And we're done. Any further conversations can be had by PM.

OK, as this is a weekly series, and after representation from a user, I'm re-opening to allow discussion of the programme.

Only the programme, mind. Any more off-topic rubbish will be deleted on sight and bans handed out.

You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Only seeing the 1st episode now, can't believe someone rang in requesting a price on Man Utd to be relegated. Must have a Liverpool crest tattooed on him somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

decent episodes. the guy on the fobt losing 3k was hard to watch. then the manager saying she doesnt like to see people lose their dough but didnt do much to stop him until he ran out of money(when the responsible gambling warning was flashing on her screen) then barred the lad.

i liked the fat man who managed the shops. up until the point where he started mocking an independent rival who had gone bust. apart from that they seemed like friendly,helpful staff.

guy at the track with his wife seems like he could make good money. im guessing he has more on those bets than he lets on. the vips at the race meeting. surely they arent making money if coral are wining and dining him? i thought they only VIP losers who have huge bankrolls - like the guy from the post office up north,celebs etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

the lad at the track betting fiver's, his wife was way out of his league, she was premier league, he was national league, sensible betting though, made the day a fun day out with a bit of crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The guy at the track was an arsehole. Imagine spending a day with that tight ass. Miser know it all

That guy Steve in episode 3, a pro gambler my eye, losing shed loads, why else has he not been limited by Coral.
    They wine and dine him, must be making a fortune of him.
    His betting stake wise was all over the place, 100 first bet next bet 400 etc why not 5k next one, shows no bankroll management or stake plan there and you can win long term without that as variance will just wipe you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

That guy Steve in episode 3, a pro gambler my eye, losing shed loads, why else has he not been limited by Coral.
    They wine and dine him, must be making a fortune of him.
    His betting stake wise was all over the place, 100 first bet next bet 400 etc why not 5k next one, shows no bankroll management or stake plan there and you can win long term without that as variance will just wipe you out.

That was at a free day out though and essentially he probably likes a gamble. Might have been playing up for the cameras as well, you just dont know what his circumstances are. He was probably just enjoying himself and a couple of hundred might mean very little to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

hes got to be losing and betting big with coral to be treated to VIP days out. the coral bloke went out of his way to keep them happy. his profits may come from other bookies though. or he may have a great job that pays well which is what i suspect.

Advertisement