Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8 week old lab what to do

• 22-07-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

got a lab on sunday , now just wondering whats best if i need to nip out for an hr or 2 , she sleeps / whines in a crate at night

do i leave it in the crate if i go out ? even though she dont like it ?

or let her out back ? no other dogs out back etc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If she does not like the crate you've not introduced it properly as a great place to be for her; anyway playpen is probably your best bet as it allows more movement while in control of where they can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Nody wrote: »
    If she does not like the crate you've not introduced it properly as a great place to be for her; anyway playpen is probably your best bet as it allows more movement while in control of where they can go.

dont have a play pen , just divided off living room from dining room so i can catch her before she pee's and poops i lift her onto the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At 8 weeks old letting her roam free out the back is probably not the best idea. Cats and other animals can still get in, even if there are no other dogs. Plus as a curious puppy she will attempt to climb into and under things and chew on everything she can see. Although it might look safe at first glance, you could come home to find her trapped in some tiny hole under a wall that you didn't even know existed.

Definitely either do a playpen in the kitchen with newspaper everywhere, or even take her with you if that's feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

Crate should me max a few hours at that age.
    Out the back if it is safe and secure plus she can go toilet no problems.
    Night time should be fine she will stop whining soon.

Try a kong or treat everytime she goes into the crate or a chew toy that she likes.That will stop the whining.

There are some good crate training/toilet training videos on youtube for puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's very important to leave puppies for a short while, but not really as long as an hour or two at the start, you need to build it up slowly, a couple of minutes at a time even. It will help in the long run with separation anxiety and for the puppy to develop a coping mechanism for being alone. Remember it's only been away from it's mother and littermates for a couple of days so you are it's world right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dont have a play pen , just divided off living room from dining room so i can catch her before she pee's and poops i lift her onto the paper
    Please tell me you are not trying to get her to go indoors on paper rather than bringing her outside (inc. twice every night)...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

I agreed that paper or pee mats are a bad idea,they don't learn anything, at that age try catch her midway through a pee/boo and carry her outside and reward every time she goes outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I like this lady in terms of advice on training. There are lots of advice for training and training videos.
    https://youtu.be/1NR1RHoqFkU

I like this lady in terms of advice on training. There are lots of advice for training and training videos.
    https://youtu.be/1NR1RHoqFkU
    Only be careful with her (Victoria that is) earliest stuff as she at the time was a believer in the pack theory etc. but has updated her knowledge and training accordingly over time to positive reinforcement based training methods (her early stuff is great but there is the odd "leader of the pack" advice slipped in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'd leave him in the crate when you have to pop out, put music or the TV on so there is background noise/activity, but only after you know he has done his business and had a play time to wear him out. Puppies are great at finding stuff you didn't even realise was there.

My fella didn't like this crate when I left him in it and left the room, his crate is next to my work area so he is able to rest comfortably knowing he's not alone. When he is tired (had a pee/poo outside and a play session with our other dog) there's not a peep out of him, sometimes for 3 hours and I can come and go as I please without him whining up a storm.

At max I'm getting 5 hours sleep at night before he whines to get out to do his business. He has only had 3 accidents in the house since I got him a week ago. After every nap he takes I bring him outside and he has gotten into the habit to go straight away as I've been lavishing him with praise for making the right decision.

He's mostly only allowed in the house after he has done his business outside (I'm ALWAYS with him when he's outside), then after play time/training/a ramble he'll settle back into his crate for a nap. And repeat lol.

Potty training is all about making it a habit for your dog to go outside, if you make it a habit for them to go wherever they please (paper or no paper) it can extend how long it takes you to fully potty train your puppy. You'll confuse your puppy by telling them it's okay to go inside one minute and then suddenly it's not.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    I'd leave him in the crate when you have to pop out, put music or the TV on so there is background noise/activity, but only after you know he has done his business and had a play time to wear him out. Puppies are great at finding stuff you didn't even realise was there.

My fella didn't like this crate when I left him in it and left the room, his crate is next to my work area so he is able to rest comfortably knowing he's not alone. When he is tired (had a pee/poo outside and a play session with our other dog) there's not a peep out of him, sometimes for 3 hours and I can come and go as I please without him whining up a storm.

At max I'm getting 5 hours sleep at night before he whines to get out to do his business. He has only had 3 accidents in the house since I got him a week ago. After every nap he takes I bring him outside and he has gotten into the habit to go straight away as I've been lavishing him with praise for making the right decision.

He's mostly only allowed in the house after he has done his business outside (I'm ALWAYS with him when he's outside), then after play time/training/a ramble he'll settle back into his crate for a nap. And repeat lol.

Potty training is all about making it a habit for your dog to go outside, if you make it a habit for them to go wherever they please (paper or no paper) it can extend how long it takes you to fully potty train your puppy. You'll confuse your puppy by telling them it's okay to go inside one minute and then suddenly it's not.

ive 2 young kids also 2 and 4.5 so diffcult when these are around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Be very careful leaving a her in the crate unattended until she's used to settling in it. When my girl was very small the tag off her collar got caught in the crate but I was in the room with her so crisis averted! I used to put her in the crate for meals and then for a few mins at a time when we were in the room with her to get her used to it. She did cry the first week or so - but soon got used to it. When I started leaving her home alone for a few mins I had a webcam set up to check on her :o Like when you have a toddler falling asleep and you ask them if they want to go to bed and they try to wake themselves up - she was like that falling over asleep but crying to come out! :p She loves the crate now - we only have space for one in the kitchen and the two of them race each other to get in first!

i take her out the back for 30 mins a time ( supervised ) she doesn't poo or pee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

i take her out the back for 30 mins a time ( supervised ) she doesn't poo or pee

Well then you need to stay out longer with her. She has obv learned to go inside and you need to break that habit. So make sure shes taken out after every meal, drink, playtime, sleep etc, as they are the triggers that will make her go.

andreac wrote: »
    Well then you need to stay out longer with her. She has obv learned to go inside and you need to break that habit. So make sure shes taken out after every meal, drink, playtime, sleep etc, as they are the triggers that will make her go.

when you say meal , she grazes on food

i suppose i should put food down 3 times a day at certain times and just for 20 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes you should. Grazing isn't a recommended way to feed dogs. Regular meals are much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP the other thing to consider, is the number of dogs being stolen out of their gardens. I would be VERY wary of leaving a small puppy on its own in your garden, no matter how well fenced/secure it is. There is a huge number of dogs being stolen from gardens at the moment - a cute lab puppy would be a perfect target - not trying to scare you but just in case you are not aware of the huge incidence of dog thefts all around the country :mad:

here she is

Advertisement