Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mccabe1987

Hi does anyone have a breakdown of cases and what they cover in a readable format.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone is keeping the head!
    I'm repeating APM and just wondering if there was a new Steps case issued this year, can't see one on the portal.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Masterxd

What topics do people think have a higher chance of coming up? I know budgeting, variances, plcs have been mentioned a good bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Think hotel industry is a cert to come up. Also have been focussing strongly inventory audit as it's overdue to be asked.

Mind you that's only a needle in the haystack of the competency statement.

But sure if you throw enough **** at the wall some will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 robbieb1024

Hi folks,

Hope you're all getting on well in the last week.
    Just a quick FR question to pick your brain!

Company X leases an investment property to Company Y on an operating lease. In the books of Company X:

IAS 40 would say to hold the property at FV (no depreciation), but
    IAS 17 would say to continue to depreciate the leased asset.

Any idea which standard would take precedence in this situation?

Good luck
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

Hi folks,

Company X leases an investment property to Company Y on an operating lease. In the books of Company X:

Good luck
    Rob

So Company X would be the lessor in this situation?
    IAS 17 isn't examinable from the lessor's perspective so I'd go with IAS 40 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Masterxd wrote: »
    What topics do people think have a higher chance of coming up? I know budgeting, variances, plcs have been mentioned a good bit..
    Consolidation, terp and hodgons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nearly Qualified Accountant

Hi guys,

I'm repeating the Tax elective for the second time. I passed the core first time two years ago. I don't really know how I passed. I think the one piece of advice I will give is that a lot of it is common sense and to you have your notes, past papers and the case studys tabbed and know where things are.

On the tax elective has any one else noticed there is a mistake in the core tax book and notes and the elective about the share buy-back. In the core text and core notes on of the requirements to qualify for CGT is to be resident or ordinarily resident in Ireland. The elective text the requirement is to be resident and ordinarily resident. The Core book and notes are wrong. The same mistake has been in the book for the past few years so I don't know how it hasn't been noticed.

I've gone through all the past papers and the mocks and still unsure how I will do. Its taking me ages to answer the questions. I'm finding it hard to fully go through a question without stopping or getting distracted. The solutions are quite heavy with info, it's hard to tell how much is required in some of the answers.

Also, has anybody got a summary sheet for the tax elective. I have one but it was on and older thread here from few years and is quite out of date. I have the updated summary sheets from cap 2 revision which are a big help if anybody wants them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Hi folks,

Good luck
    Rob

You don't depreciate an operating lease. Only a finance lease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Rusty91

Hope everyone is getting on well.

Just wondering what area of finance & mgt are likely to be focused on. Finance and mgt are my weakest at this stage. Any recommendations? How has anyone else prepared for these areas?

Also in terms of exam technique, how long do people spend planning. I find a half hour on top of reading time eats into writing time especially if the indicator isn't too straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Rusty91 wrote: »

Just wondering what area of finance & mgt are likely to be focused on. Finance and mgt are my weakest at this stage. Any recommendations? How has anyone else prepared for these areas?

Also in terms of exam technique, how long do people spend planning. I find a half hour on top of reading time eats into writing time especially if the indicator isn't too straightforward.

I'd consider myself weaker in those areas also but my thinking is that I just need to get BC in both so I'm not wasting too much time worrying about them.

On the planning, I'm hoping to plan for an hour aswel as the 30 mins reading time. Then roughly 20 mins for each indicator after.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TAA_ICAI

Hi All,
    Anyone know how the capital employed figure - 11,710 for stoves business was calculated in Woodburn 2014 mock?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

With Finance and Mngt A/C make sure to throw down some Pros and Cons, after doing your calculations. You may only spend 5mins doing it, but from the Exam Solutions, it should knock you from NC to BC or BC to C.

In terms of planning, I normally spend 45mins for the comp (inc reading time). I know the institute recommend more than that, but at the end of the day, you get more marks for actually writing the answer. The time I save "not planning" I spend re-reading the relevant sections of the paper, to ensure I hit all the points on the indicator.

Will this strategy pay off? Who knows. At this stage it feels like a bit of a lottery - a lot will come down to how the examiners write the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CAstudent

I did the extra cases that they gave us and made sure to concentrate on the ma/finance indicators in the pack.

My plan for planning is to have a quick read of the case not quite a skim but just trying to locate the indicators. Then a more detailed read trying to pick key points in each area, after that try and see if there's any logical order for the response (probably not really based on the comps I've attempted so far) and then lash into them. Can't see myself using much of the writing time for planning tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mypillowface

Hi, does anyone have Joe Healy's email?? Stuck on an APM question!!!!

• Advertisement

Hi, does anyone have Joe Healy's email?? Stuck on an APM question!!!!

Not sure he ever gave it to us, I don't have it anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kristina F

After them mocks I am so scared of these exams 😳 anybody have any idea about what could come up under finance and management? I'm hoping for KPIs, IPO, Due Dilligence etc..what do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Kristina F wrote: »
    After them mocks I am so scared of these exams 😳 anybody have any idea about what could come up under finance and management? I'm hoping for KPIs, IPO, Due Dilligence etc..what do ye think?

for some reason I think a good case study would be a gambling website (growing industry). easy to incorporate all the subjects into.

trying to cover a bit of everything. just hope SoCF, consol SoCF and foreign subsidiary dont come up.

for some reason I think a good case study would be a gambling website (growing industry). easy to incorporate all the subjects into.

trying to cover a bit of everything. just hope SoCF, consol SoCF and foreign subsidiary dont come up.

I feel the same way. Not sure what I want to come up in FR. All the FR in the cases seem so bizarre. I struggle to get RC despite having done Derry Cotter twice and reasing the standards back to front. Hoping it's a bit more straightforward in the real thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 ACA2015

I feel the same way. Not sure what I want to come up in FR. All the FR in the cases seem so bizarre. I struggle to get RC despite having done Derry Cotter twice and reasing the standards back to front. Hoping it's a bit more straightforward in the real thing

In which ones do you struggle to get RC standard? Past exam papers?

• Advertisement

Bit lengthy to ask a SoCF and consol CF, no? From the past papers, it really just seems to be standards and work around calculating goodwill/adjustments on consols rather than lengthy, technique heavy stuff like CFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

ACA2015 wrote: »
    Bit lengthy to ask a SoCF and consol CF, no? From the past papers, it really just seems to be standards and work around calculating goodwill/adjustments on consols rather than lengthy, technique heavy stuff like CFs.

Was thinking the same when I was going over them myself. Hard to get a full indicator without drafting.

Could throw in something about recognising something as cash in the balance sheet as part of audit/fr I suppose

Having a quick look through the cs this morning, see we are supposed to be familiar with the companies act 2014. Did we get any notes or anything on it?

CAstudent wrote: »
    Having a quick look through the cs this morning, see we are supposed to be familiar with the companies act 2014. Did we get any notes or anything on it?

I'm bringing the CAP1 Law book in just in case (probably a bit out of date) but don't really expect to use it.
    The CAP1 Law notes are on the website in a zip file if you want, it's probably covered in those.

Risteard wrote: »
    Was thinking the same when I was going over them myself. Hard to get a full indicator without drafting.

Could throw in something about recognising something as cash in the balance sheet as part of audit/fr I suppose

Yeah I personally doubt it will come up. It's the FAEs, not CAP 1s or 2s, they move away from drafting a financial statement at this level as they expect you to know it if you've got this far and it's more exam technique than anything else. Where something "technical" is likely to come up is a pure double entry type question, like last year where you had to post audit journals and correct journals. It's a consistent comment from the AAFRP & past papers that students still struggle with that and in a 30 minute an indicator type format, easier and fairer to catch students on that then slogging through a cash flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Best of luck to everyone!

If I could give any advice, focus at this stage on ensuring your notes are organised and ready, and know your high level strategy for tackling this.

Read it, plan it, do it. Eat this elephant in bite size chunks. Conclude, advise, and best of luck guys! Keep your composure! Just like Will Ferrell said in Old School https://youtu.be/hrwvn9-TL5E

Put on the war paint http://goo.gl/7lTFXI (sound required)

And do not forget to heed to the advice of the Fae Oracle Mr. Paul Monahan (http://goo.gl/kxKYqA) who knows what the Fae Board have had for breakfast before they even know themselves; he's at least two rotations ahead of them in the way that this exam is going and he commands a lot of respect as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Now that's motivation.

https://youtu.be/gq2CMoTsp5Y

myshirt wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone!

If I could give any advice, focus at this stage on ensuring your notes are organised and ready, and know your high level strategy for tackling this.

Read it, plan it, do it. Eat this elephant in bite size chunks. Conclude, advise, and best of luck guys! Keep your composure! Just like Will Ferrell said in Old School https://youtu.be/hrwvn9-TL5E

Put on the war paint http://goo.gl/7lTFXI (sound required)

And do not forget to heed to the advice of the Fae Oracle Mr. Paul Monahan (http://goo.gl/kxKYqA) who knows what the Fae Board have had for breakfast before they even know themselves; he's at least two rotations ahead of them in the way that this exam is going and he commands a lot of respect as a result.

Re Paul Monahan even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I found all he did was talk about how great the Americans thought he was and tip everything to come up.

Anyone else lost the will to live?

Can't face looking at any more cases.

Anyone else lost the will to live?

Can't face looking at any more cases.

All about chilling at this point. A few FR questions and some strategy theory here and there. Cannot face another case study until Tuesday!

• Advertisement

ACA2015 wrote: »
    In which ones do you struggle to get RC standard? Past exam papers?

The mocks. I'm presuming those will be the topics most likely to be examined. I personally felt even IAS 40 on the 2016 mock was difficult and that's nearly an ideal topic to come up

The mocks. I'm presuming those will be the topics most likely to be examined. I personally felt even IAS 40 on the 2016 mock was difficult and that's nearly an ideal topic to come up

I think the difficulty with some of the FR indicators on the mocks is that they're written in such a confusing fashion. The exam indicators tend to be a lot easier to understand.

CAstudent wrote: »
    I think the difficulty with some of the FR indicators on the mocks is that they're written in such a confusing fashion. The exam indicators tend to be a lot easier to understand.

I really hope so. It's extremely disheartening when you're struggling to hit RC & C on the papers at this stage. I find most of your time on the mocks is spent trying to figure out what they are actually telling you which eats into writing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

how are people getting on for the audit elective? I am so sick of study at the moment!

Best of luck to all this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

how are people getting on for the audit elective? I am so sick of study at the moment!

Best of luck to all this week!

Audit elective??? That's Thursdays problem :D:D

Audit elective??? That's Thursdays problem :D:D

The audit elective is on Friday or have I got it wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

The audit elective is on Friday or have I got it wrong??

Sorry to scare you, just the revision is Thursday!! Exam is Friday!!!

Sorry to scare you, just the revision is Thursday!! Exam is Friday!!!

Lol Oh I get you now :)

Any thoughts on how that went??

• Advertisement

TAA_ICAI wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how that went??

Thought it was ok. Business leadership indicator re; ethics and the strengths and weaknesses was a bit iffy tho. Had a good attempt at the interest swap thing but it was a bit rank.

Said that I wouldn't do a postmortem but oh well. I got:

1. FR - Share based payments
    2. Finance - Interest Swaps
    3. BL - Ethics of reversing accrual
    4. Audit - E.coli provision (lol)
    5. Finance?? - Covenants. Not sure if this is finance or FR or MA, any thoughts?
    6. BL - Half a SWOT. Didn't have much to write on this.
    7. MA - BSC
    8. Tax - Cash Extraction

Anyone else get similar? Wasn't sure if provision was Audit or FR.

Thought it was grand except for the hedging which I'm not comfortable with. The balance scorecard for the employee appraisal was a bit of a strange one also.

5. Finance?? - Covenants. Not sure if this is finance or FR or MA, any thoughts?
    7. MA - BSC
    8. Tax - Cash Extraction

I got the exact same

7. MA - BSC
    8. Tax - Cash Extraction

Yea i had same as you ... I included provision in audit ... It was a funny exam ... Not sure how it went :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gretel2911

Does anyone have any insights on the tax indicator? Thought it was a bit funny with the covenants etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭giftgrub1991

For the reversing journal I went down the lines of fr/audit as he is condoning fraudulent financial reporting giving the pressure there is to maintain with covenant.

For the tax I some how thought retirement reliefs down the road would also benefit him.

Any thoughts?

Anybody use the Hodgons (probly not the right spelling) model for the ethics Q about the accrual?

I didn't use 3 step method I went down the FR ethics route that he has directors responsibility to ensure f.s. show true & fair view, etc

For tax I also mentioned retirement relief but forgot to mention about the covenant for d/d :-(

Any thoughts about what to focus on for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gretel2911

Anybody use the Hodgons (probly not the right spelling) model for the ethics Q about the accrual?

I did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

If the covenant was finance, it means there's going to be 3 finance indicators overall, I would suspect it could be BL but who knows. Big Paul said to avoid boards between exams due to the speculation! 😄 Just answer what's asked. Felt tax was weird and the mgmt accounting. Didn't di myself justice in them definitely

• Advertisement
Advertisement