Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high street mall

Options
  • 22-07-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Melcorpo commercial properties. Have applied for permission to develop the old high street shopping mall. They want to amalgalate the excisting 12 shops into a restaurant and and one large store of 1384sq meters. This would be an ideal location for dealz

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

linny wrote: »
    Melcorpo commercial properties. Have applied for permission to develop the old high street shopping mall. They want to amalgalate the excisting 12 shops into a restaurant and and one large store of 1384sq meters. This would be an ideal location for dealz

What is with the obsession with Dealz?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Cabaal wrote:
    What is with the obsession with Dealz?

No obsession really just be nice to have one in Kilkenny cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

They're just a posh Euro shop really, and that's being kind. Nothing of any quality, and they always look messy. Don't think High St in Kilkenny is suitable location for a Dealz. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

Actually, was there not supposed to be some gaming arcade or something going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They more or less need to redevelop or at least give it a massive face lift and put in line with the rest of High st. The ugly 1970s square front is shocking and looks so down market that would not entice any high-middle retailers. One large anchor store into the city centre though would be a great boost.
    I sincerely hope this means the games-arcade proposal is gone? This would have been an awful blight on the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tesco Express would be handy there :D

They're just a posh Euro shop really, and that's being kind. Nothing of any quality, and they always look messy. Don't think High St in Kilkenny is suitable location for a Dealz. Just my opinion.

Have to strongly disagree there...they stock a large range of respected household brands at low prices. Often in the one in Carlow and Newbridge and they are very neat and tidy too.
    However, I don't think they'd be a good fit in the High st Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Have seen a sold sign, over the emergency exit that leads to street...there is also a planning app there too...have heard from the security guy, that was there the last week, that its to be one big shop, M&S is the rumour...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Have seen a sold sign, over the emergency exit that leads to street...there is also a planning app there too...have heard from the security guy, that was there the last week, that its to be one big shop, M&S is the rumour...

Would they go for a High St store? Be great if true.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pegasus1 wrote: »

I like that rumour.

• Advertisement

Didn't they shut a few stores a few years back though? In Naas and Mullingar. I know the economy has improved a lot and Kilkenny is buzzing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Foxy loves the thought of M&S, best under garments in the business, the food department is wow, keep your Dealz, give me M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Kilkenny could do with a High end supermarket.I think it would do really well if it moved in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I like M&S and Debenhams for decent threads.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That place needs a serious facelift, it's been dragging the rest of High Street down for too long.

M&S or Debenhams would be great additions to the town.

Dealz is all well and good but it's not the kind of shop that should be on our High Street.

We need the high st to be traffic free and verandahs so tourists can sit out and enjoy the ambience of our city. I am told certain undertakings are quite good at ripping off tourists, like charging for substandard loos.

road_high wrote: »
    Would they go for a High St store? Be great if true.

You do know there is an entrance on high st.
    I would say the plan app was put at the side door entrance as thats the door into the the place when the 2 main entrances are closed...now foxy as for clothes dept...would there be room...unless they build up or down...must look at planning app when i next pass..high street needs to be car free before you put seating outside of cafes etc...

too small for debenhams...

Whilst cooking breakfast for the family, nothing out of the ordinary, Sausages, bacon, white pudding and organic eggs, a couple of slices of toast, freshly squeezed orange juice, that Kilkenny is a tourist city, apart from the Design Centre we have very little touristy, Murphy's is a bit upmarket and a couple of dress boutiques the rest is run of the mill High street, not helped by an ailing mall, though Nolans have upped the anti, but alas as a tourist I would not really feel it worth walking around, the Design Centre is about 10 years or more out of date it is far too cramped, the book centre hasn't changed. I always think about Kilkenny when walking down Bond Street in London, we have no top line shops, no really top notch shoe shops, no Gucci not even Brown Thomas, come to that going down market no Shaw's.
    Really Kilkenny should be a mecca of quality shopping there is money around but it goes elsewhere, can you imagine the pride if High St Kilkenny was thought of like Bond St or the Champs in Paris, that is why the future of our city does need special people with a vision of the future. Some of the so called professionals are or leave a lot to be desired. Go up market, Foxy in Fortnum and Masons, Harrods, Harvey Nicholls and dining at the Ivy oh dream on Foxy on the magic carpet, loks like I will have to rub the genie harder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

London has a population of 15 million, we have a population of 25,000, that's the simple reason we don't have such stores. We have plenty of shops that cater for the type of tourist we do get and are trying to get. Kilkenny's tourism industry is thriving and we are making steps to keep the momentum going. Our tourist industry relies on Kilkenny being such a friendly city with fantastic pubs and restaurants plus the odd historical monument. You can throw whatever shop you want into the mall, it won't make a jot of difference to our tourism sector.

I think Foxy is looking for something like those tourist shops with didly aye music blaring :P

Oh gwad no...

• Advertisement

Good Lord no, we are looking upmarket much more refined, the pub type culture is long past and so are sub standard restaurants. We need to believe in Kilkenny, believe in the future and leave the bad things behind.
    I was walking Riley and it coccured to me that when someone quoted the number of tourists that come to our city is second, so who provides these figures?
    I personally think Kilkenny is being cheated, you think of the tourists who arrive under their own steam via Rosslare and Dublin, well there is not a road from Rosslare to Kilkenny, over used cart track maybe, the tourist sail merrily along the Waterford-Cork road and end up in the west of Ireland, you only need to sit and have a coffee at the Apple Green services in Lemybrien to watch the traffic go past, whilst at it we do not have a services to even match Apple Green.
    Our main tourist route must be coaches who really are whistle stop tourists, we should really have a campaign for a better road structure from New Ross and let tourists know Kilkenny is open for business we have the scenery to rival Scotland/Wales and the West, we just do not have the infrastructure to take advantage.
    Come on believe and invest in Kilkenny the jewel of Ireland, get rid of toxic thoughts, remember dreams can come true if you want them to.

Good Lord no, we are looking upmarket much more refined, the pub type culture is long past and so are sub standard restaurants. We need to believe in Kilkenny, believe in the future and leave the bad things behind.
    I was walking Riley and it coccured to me that when someone quoted the number of tourists that come to our city is second, so who provides these figures?
    I personally think Kilkenny is being cheated, you think of the tourists who arrive under their own steam via Rosslare and Dublin, well there is not a road from Rosslare to Kilkenny, over used cart track maybe, the tourist sail merrily along the Waterford-Cork road and end up in the west of Ireland, you only need to sit and have a coffee at the Apple Green services in Lemybrien to watch the traffic go past, whilst at it we do not have a services to even match Apple Green.
    Our main tourist route must be coaches who really are whistle stop tourists, we should really have a campaign for a better road structure from New Ross and let tourists know Kilkenny is open for business we have the scenery to rival Scotland/Wales and the West, we just do not have the infrastructure to take advantage.
    Come on believe and invest in Kilkenny the jewel of Ireland, get rid of toxic thoughts, remember dreams can come true if you want them to.

We have an Apple Green in Kilkenny. Foxy, you are the one putting Kilkenny down. As far as tourism goes, we're winning. The only thing I can agree with in that post is trying to get the coaches to stay and to be fair the road from New Ross isn't great.

We who work in the tourism industry believe in Kilkenny, to be telling me to believe in Kilkenny tourism is a bit like asking Brian Cody to believe in Kilkenny hurling. You are the one who is putting the negative spin on Kilkenny. Sub standard restaurants, of course we have them but we also have places like La Campagne and Zuni. The tourists want and get pub type culture, Cleere's, Kytlers and Langtons are heavy on the trad music during music.

Failte Ireland provide the figures, I've actually covered this ground before with you. As a county we are the ninth most visited but as a city, I can't find the figure but I believe we're much higher, Kilkenny castle was the 16th most visited fee paying tourist attraction in 2014 with 259,000 visitors.

Just to add weight to my own argument, I am a graduate of Shannon College of Hotel Management, I have worked in five star hotels in Switzerland and France and Four star hotels in Switzerland, England and Ireland.

As always I bow to your superior knowledge, and with those credentials I would not dare argue, a very knowledgeable person, however the tourists seen in the pubs would be the non coach parties, yes.
    And where is the Apple Green in Kilkenny and no my friend I am not putting anyone down. Again Brian Cody has to believe in his selection for the team, I still say the people of Kilkenny must believe in their city, if only for future generations, it will never be as cheap as it is now to make the city more beautiful, and I guess the St Francis site needs some very special people to make it come alive. Foxy

Applegreen is located at Black Quarry hill. Coach parties by and large only stop for the afternoon as they're on the way to Waterford. Kilkenny is small and to be fair there isn't more than a days worth to see if you're trying to do the whole country in ten days. Only way to change this is to build an attraction.

just down the town there at hmv and noticed that there's a big to let sign up on the old high street mall, 1300 odd sq meters to let, they mustn't have a tenant line up yet for after they redevelop it

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Are they redeveloping it at the moment?

Threadhead wrote:
    Are they redeveloping it at the moment?

No have just applied to kk Co Co for permission to develop the site

No have just applied to kk Co Co for permission to develop the site

I'd imagine it'll take a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Cool, before property bubble imploded I think there'd been plans for apartments, I imagine the ground floor would have remained commercial.

• Advertisement

eh which ever way you look at the mall, its all ground floor...

Advertisement