Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high street mall

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pegasus1 wrote: »
    eh which ever way you look at the mall, its all ground floor...

Front is 2 story and back is in line with upper floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

We went to the Iverk show on Saturday, mainly to look at the cake baking and veg growing, though there was a great deal to see, but we are not exactly into tractors and such things, however on the way home we called into Dove Hill.
    If you have never been I urge you to go, there is a Blarney Shop and Meadows and Byrne. We have noting to compare in Kilkenny, it would be a draw for tourists and the local population, plus of course there is a really super restaurant, of course parking is free and abundant. Dove Hill is sort of half way between Carrick and Clonmel, well signposted.
    One of the things we learnt from the Iverk show was the lack of anything in Callan, more on the thread.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

We have noting to compare in Kilkenny, it would be a draw for tourists and the local population

Dove Hill really only benifits itself, as it doesn't generate any extra footfall in CoS..or Clonmell...and everyone needs a car to get there...

Plus we have the National Reptile Zoo which is in Gowran...which is a draw for people to come to kilkenny, county at least...but you need a car too..

You are correct, however a Blarney shop would be a bonus for Kilkenny, equally the reptile place at Gowran yes excellent, we used to go on a regular basis our then 12 year old was mad keen on reptiles, he has grown into aircraft and all such things, but all the coach parties miss one of our treasures I rather suspect it is the castle, seen it been there and gone, unless we can get the coaches to stay overnight we will forever be banging our heads against the wall. If you have enough to encourage tourists to want to stay; that would be another matter, this is why I keep on about the lack of shops, upmarket of course, the tourists who come to Kilkenny do not want tat, simple old bean.
    Foxy

This is what we need to attract tourists to kilkenny...more pubs...:D

http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/over-half-of-tourists-visit-ireland-for-our-pubs-31471259.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I think we have enough pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Need a few cheaoer ones maybe! Outside of Dublin and galway maybe I don't know anywhere pricier than KK.

I agree we do not want more pubs, probably it would not matter if we lost a few more. Kilkenny should be a place of culture, a cut above most other towns.
    Look we have St Mary's Cathedral; we have The Black Abbey, the Watergate I do not read much about any of those, we even have or maybe it has gone a Carnegie Library, we have a footbridge which does not go with the flow of the city, we have a new road bridge that is just not in keeping with our medieval past.
    We lack any shops of significance, where does one go for presents to take back after a visit, ah yes The Design Centre, if there is room, one shudders to think what the council will do with the St Francis site, as Bulmer's advert goes only time. Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

We lack any shops of significance, where does one go for presents to take back after a visit, ah yes The Design Centre, Foxy

Foxy, I don't get your dislike of the design centre?! I thought that would be up your street, you were looking for that type stuff in another post recently??!
    in all fairness lots of quality high end local and international produce in there...Mosse, Jerpoint, Orla kiely, Ver Wang...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

They're a tourist shop on the high street where you can get your key rings and sticks of rock ;)

• Advertisement

On reflection you are quite right, it would seem that I am against Design Centre, which is not what I was meaning, the products sold are top notch by anyone's standard, in many respects it is equal to the Blarney Shop at Dove Hill, unfortunately Dove Hill is much larger in size and does sell a greater variety of goods. What I hoped to convey was the lack of space, it needs to expand, it is a winning formula, however one cannot rely on that for evermore, neither can you move it to another location.
    Rather like Sherwood's move, this has robbed the High Street of a facility to buy top quality electrical goods, not even an M&S will bring back what we have lost.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

On reflection you are quite right, it would seem that I am against Design Centre, which is not what I was meaning, the products sold are top notch by anyone's standard, in many respects it is equal to the Blarney Shop at Dove Hill, unfortunately Dove Hill is much larger in size and does sell a greater variety of goods. What I hoped to convey was the lack of space, it needs to expand, it is a winning formula, however one cannot rely on that for evermore, neither can you move it to another location. Rather like Sherwood's move, this has robbed the High Street of a facility to buy top quality electrical goods, not even an M&S will bring back what we have lost. Foxy

Yeah...I hear you on the pokiness alright, but I think it compensates in character..I do enjoy the fact that I can peruse the fancy goods in the hoof prints of HRH's finest old nags..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

http://media.daft.ie/property-image/qcmHj6maz4QpgTdVB1cbGH7ExUU9rsErsz1tJGKuj2k=.pdf

just looking at the picture that's up on daft, of the mall after its redeveloped is Collins shoe shop gone or moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

My money (just a hunch) is on......Avoca

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

pueblo wrote: »
    My money (just a hunch) is on......Avoca

Avoca is being taken over by Yanks, could be a runner. pueblo

nootroc wrote: »
    Avoca is being taken over by Yanks, could be a runner. pueblo

Oh no, not another shop for the women folk! please no!!

Hey Foxy you forgot about the two carrig donn's here in Kilkenny..

pegasus1 wrote:
    Hey Foxy you forgot about the two carrig donn's here in Kilkenny..

He/she probably hates the 2 carrig donn's we have in kilkenny. There probably substandard to what's in clonmel ;-)

linny wrote: »
    He/she probably hates the 2 carrig donn's we have in kilkenny. There probably substandard to what's in clonmel ;-)

I was in Clonmel a few years ago and checked out some of the shops. I thought it was useless for shopping. Grand if you want M&S or a Tesco but for Menswear or much else nothing there and nearly an hour from Kk. Not in the same league at all, Carlow is better also.

Dungarvan chaps, New Look, we have not got, M&S no, Shaws no, there are some boutiques and there are also some mens stores, in essence I prefer to go to Kildare Village wonderful choice, but stop bleating about the lack of this and that in Kilkenny, we are a tourist town and should get as much as we can. If we have a poor council whose fault is it, ours.
    Foxy for the council?

It is sad to say what was a few years ago is not now, the change that is taking place is unbelievable, yes internet shopping has had a lot to do with it
    but most of all it is us, yes you and me, we no longer are prepared to pay the price of keeping the small shop in business, we want something it has to be now.
    It is like the traders in Kilkenny up in arms about a pedestrian area, digging their own grave, a lack of foresight, never mind the shops we have at the moment think of those who have departed only recently, ten years has seen a large shift in shopping habits and in Kilkenny it is not Tesco, like it or not we want tourist shops, most of us go elseware. If I wanted a local dish, is there one where would I go? I cannot even buy fish and chips, elderly tourists do not want supermac or subway, what does Kilkenny offer?
    Foxy on the trail

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »

Good news but personally I really hope the building isn't redeveloped as show in the linked advertisement.

kikel wrote: »
    Good news but personally I really hope the building isn't redeveloped as show in the linked advertisement.
    Why?
    Anything would be better than what is there now..

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Why?
    Anything would be better than what is there now..

Because I don't feel the design suits high street.

It's great that a new business is taking up residence but I disagree with you that anything is better than what is there now.

Any idea of the tenant?

road_high wrote: »
    Any idea of the tenant?

Hopefully who ever it is, will be a crowd puller. High street could do with it.

To be honest that building should be levelled and rebuilt in an appropriate style in fitting with the rest of the street.
    Dissappointingly, it sounds a bit like they're just looking to knock units together and rent as one or two big units with a bit of a facelift.

road_high wrote: »
    To be honest that building should be levelled and rebuilt in an appropriate style in fitting with the rest of the street.
    Dissappointingly, it sounds a bit like they're just looking to knock units together and rent as one or two big units with a bit of a facelift.

To be honest, Every street frontage, should be cladded in kilkenny stone...in the style of....oh yeah a medival city...:rolleyes:

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/232191/closure-of-shoe-shop-in-kilkenny-s-high-street-mall-will-pave-way-for-big-changes.html

Might see some progress on this finally. Really hope they do something major with that 1970s monstrosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

our own mini tramore in kilkenny

Advertisement