Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high street mall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

miece16 wrote: »
    our own mini tramore in kilkenny

No they didn't get planning for that, thank god. It's being converted into one large retail unit as per plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

road_high wrote:
    No they didn't get planning for that, thank god. It's being converted into one large retail unit as per plans.

According to the article they got planning permission for it after an appeal

toe_knee wrote: »
    According to the article they got planning permission for it after an appeal

Jeese, that could be right. I was going by the Property advertisement that was letting it as one large retail unit.
    There'll be uproar if it becomes some tacky slot machine kip though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Apparently;
    "Kilkenny Co Co final permission decision, 21/10/2015: "The development will consist of internal reconfiguration and amalgamation of existing accommodation (comprising 12no. retail units, 1 no restaurant unit and associated mall circulation areas) to create a single retail unit (1,384sq.m gross floor area) at ground and first floor level. Permission also for a remodelled ground and first floor elevation to High Street, associated signage and all associated site and development works".

Surely if it were Entertainment Centre it would have to state that rather than "Retail Unit"? Think we do need clarification exactly from the Council and the developer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Sports Direct taking the building according to the news.

Better than a games arcade or what's currently there, I'll say that much for it.

Threadhead wrote: »
    Sports Direct taking the building according to the news.

Better than a games arcade or what's currently there, I'll say that much for it.

Will that be a full Heatons store also I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

No idea to be honest, although the idea was for one tenant to take the entire building so I'm not sure if that's still the plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    Will that be a full Heatons store also I wonder?

Sports Direct isn't Heatons, that's sports world.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Sports Direct isn't Heatons, that's sports world.

http://m.independent.ie/business/sports-direct-to-seal-48m-acquisition-of-heatons-chain-today-34503183.html
    From Indo in March last year - Sports Direct and Heatons both owned by Mike Ashley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I be thinking Sports Direct...
    Isn't there still a Heatons in Market cross?

Quote.. "We look forward to accelerating investment into the existing store portfolio and strengthening the Heatons and Sports Direct brands across Ireland," commented Dave Forsey, the chief executive of Sports Direct.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1007/732956-sports-direct-heatons/

pegasus1 wrote: »
    I be thinking Sports Direct...
    Isn't there still a Heatons in Market cross?

Quote.. "We look forward to accelerating investment into the existing store portfolio and strengthening the Heatons and Sports Direct brands across Ireland," commented Dave Forsey, the chief executive of Sports Direct.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1007/732956-sports-direct-heatons/

There is. Not a very good one, very small and limited. Wouldn't be surprised if they move the lot. Makes sense rather than keeping two stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There is. Not a very good one, very small and limited. Wouldn't be surprised if they move the lot. Makes sense rather than keeping two stores.
    They'd only consolidate when overall sales go in reverse. If the two brands wipe their face independently then it makes sense to keep them separate.

And if one franchise is going down there's no point in letting it drag down a separate profitable part of the parent company.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jjames.mmurphy

News confirmed this morning that Sports Direct will be taking the whole space... they are currently doing renovations which should be complete by end og Aug, shop to open in Sept / Oct 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jjames.mmurphy

Anyone know when sports direct is opening?

Anyone know when sports direct is opening?

Passed it yesterday and signage was up and store appeared finished. Not long I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Passed it yesterday and signage was up and store appeared finished. Not long I'd say.

I passed it on Friday and it still looked a bit of a building site inside..

Anyone else a bit disappointed that the two new stores are sports shops (mall and Winston's)?

To me something like a debenhams or even a large Penny's would have been better in those sites. You would imagine it would attract more footfall at least. We are already well served in sports shops, a bit of variety would be nice.

These larger retail spaces are limited in Kilkenny.
    Its very noticeable in McDonagh where the scale of the shops just seem a little too small. Next for example is too small and the layout suffers for it. H&M is similar. Both also don't carry full stock ranges compared to their larger stores. Don't get me wrong, its great to have these stores but McDonagh should have been scaled a bit larger (along with the cramped carpark).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

MC donagh sure some of the shops are cramped but there is lots of wasted space in it too and there is lots of space in the workhouse square part lying empty. Course a closed in walkway to connect the two spaces might have required a bit of brain power..... As for the car park it's not cramped there's a whole other layer underneath that is rarely open and only fully accessible at Christmas.
    TBH I can't be dealing with going into the town for anything. Soon the tourists will completely take it over anyways so probably will see a lot more town properties converted to tourist traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

screamer wrote: »
    MC donagh sure some of the shops are cramped but there is lots of wasted space in it too and there is lots of space in the workhouse square part lying empty.

The workhouse square area is a bit of a disaster. Its too disjointed from the main part of the center.

Many will probably disagree but I would have liked to see the entire shopping centre on 2 floors in a similar design to the whitewater center in Newbridge.

Agree there is a lot of wasted space, especially down near Dunnes.
    screamer wrote: »
    As for the car park it's not cramped there's a whole other layer underneath that is rarely open and only fully accessible at Christmas.
    TBH I can't be dealing with going into the town for anything. Soon the tourists will completely take it over anyways so probably will see a lot more town properties converted to tourist traps.

Capacity wise you are right there are plenty of spaces. My issue is that when you account for pedestrian walkways etc you can barely fit two cars past each other. The area in the carpark in front of the escalators which bring you up near the info desk for example. The amount of scrapes/paint on the pillars there spring to mind.

The fact that they recently installed orange plastic bollards to stop people driving over the pedestrian walkways at the corners etc suggest that the whole thing is too tight.

I'm no shopping centre designer but I would have done MacDonagh a lot differently too. You can drive by that place as a visitor to Kilkenny and it could easily be virtually unknown it was there. It's very hidden and disjointed from the rest of the town. But for the signs you'd just think it was a apt or office block.
    They lose a lot of visitor footfall as a result.

• Advertisement

PaulKK wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit disappointed that the two new stores are sports shops (mall and Winston's)?

To me something like a debenhams or even a large Penny's would have been better in those sites. You would imagine it would attract more footfall at least. We are already well served in sports shops, a bit of variety would be nice.

These larger retail spaces are limited in Kilkenny.
    Its very noticeable in McDonagh where the scale of the shops just seem a little too small. Next for example is too small and the layout suffers for it. H&M is similar. Both also don't carry full stock ranges compared to their larger stores. Don't get me wrong, its great to have these stores but McDonagh should have been scaled a bit larger (along with the cramped carpark).

Definitely. The shops in Kilkenny seem desperate to keep out any competition, hence the occasional musical chairs. It's hard to get excited about a newer Elverys when we've already had two on the adjacent street for years.
    It would be great to see new players but I think they'll only come to new developments and I'm not sure the demand is even there for those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I'm no shopping centre designer but I would have done MacDonagh a lot differently too. You can drive by that place as a visitor to Kilkenny and it could easily be virtually unknown it was there. It's very hidden and disjointed from the rest of the town. But for the signs you'd just think it was a apt or office block.

Never considered that, you make a good point. It would be impossible as a tourist or visitor upon passing it to identify that it's a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

I often said the same myself you nearly have to go looking for it there is no real grand entrance.

Take say Eyre square in Galway or the City Square in Waterford, they are right in the heart of things and maximum footfall. To go to Macdonagh you must make a special effort to go there really. If it was just off High st or adjacent streets it would do far better trade. Despite this it seems to be doing well these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

What date is Sports direct set to open on in Kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Take say Eyre square in Galway or the City Square in Waterford, they are right in the heart of things and maximum footfall. To go to Macdonagh you must make a special effort to go there really. If it was just off High st or adjacent streets it would do far better trade. Despite this it seems to be doing well these days.
    Did it not get a couple of awards last year or earlier this year for been one of the top shopping centres .in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

dobbs2210 wrote:
    What date is Sports direct set to open on in Kilkenny?

Opening today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Opening today

Was there not some council charter passed about the signage used by shops on High street to bring them into line with the medieval feel of the city.

I must have been dreaming, I've just seen the front of Sports Direct.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Was there not some council charter passed about the signage used by shops on High street to bring them into line with the medieval feel of the city.

I'm not a fan of sportsdirect by any means, I personally think it'll put other shops out of business. But signs on High Street haven't been great for years.

I'd hardly call Spar, both the euro shops, argos and boots as a medieval feel and they've been there years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

EKRIUQ wrote: »

Have you seen the obscenity that was Dore's Butchers? :(

Advertisement