Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby water

Options
  • 22-07-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I was randomly googling baby stuff and came across a babycentre thread saying they use baby water or 'nursery water' for baby bottles and they don't boil it or anything. Some even said they use normal bottled water. Does anyone know what the story is with American water. Is it not clean or something?
    In the films they always drink bathroom tap water which I think is mad.
    A bit of a random question I know but just curious.:)
    Sorry if this is the wrong board didn't know where to put it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

This is something I've wondered about too, I've often seen baby water mentioned on American websites!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

This is something I've wondered about too, I've often seen baby water mentioned on American websites!

At least I'm not the only one! :) I wrote on the board asking why but its from 07 I realised afterwards so doubt they'll get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

sm213 wrote: »
    I was randomly googling baby stuff and came across a babycentre thread saying they use baby water or 'nursery water' for baby bottles and they don't boil it or anything. Some even said they use normal bottled water. Does anyone know what the story is with American water. Is it not clean or something?
    In the films they always drink bathroom tap water which I think is mad.
    A bit of a random question I know but just curious.:)
    Sorry if this is the wrong board didn't know where to put it :)

No idea what baby water is.
    American water is fine to drink though. A lot of bottled water companies just take municipal tap water and bottle it. There's a huge market here for what could be called 'craft waters' it's a load of BS tbh. The attitude seems to be, if the water is filtered through xyz it must be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I don't know about america but when we went to visit the in-laws in the Philippines they have sterilized bottled water suitable for making babies bottles I presume its the same thing.

No idea what baby water is.
    American water is fine to drink though. A lot of bottled water companies just take municipal tap water and bottle it. There's a huge market here for what could be called 'craft waters' it's a load of BS tbh. The attitude seems to be, if the water is filtered through xyz it must be better for you.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The way people were talking about it made it seem dangerous to drink.
    Some woman said her husband will not let her drink tap water while pregnant..
    I found a link on incredible infant can't post as I'm a newbie.
    Basically saying there's no need for it.
    Just clever marketing I suppose.. Or some dumb people :)

• Advertisement

lollsangel wrote: »
    I don't know about america but when we went to visit the in-laws in the Philippines they have sterilized bottled water suitable for making babies bottles I presume its the same thing.

No nursery water is not even sterile then I'd understand a bit more as it would be handy I suppose.
    From further reading it seems it has added fluoride which babies don't need. Not at the levels that are in it.
    Quite strange..
    The people on babycentre made it seem life threatening to use tap water but I guess they just don't like it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It might be because they don't live on tea like us and tend to have coffee machines and no kettles?
    In France all the bottles water suitable for bottles have a baby on the label:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It might be because they don't live on tea like us and tend to have coffee machines and no kettles?
    In France all the bottles water suitable for bottles has a baby on the label:)

Lol I never even considered that they wouldn't have a kettle.
    I understand drinking water for babies but adults not drinking tap water while pregnant is a bit excessive. Made me think the water is unsafe.
    And as the kettle situation never occurred to me seemed a bit mad.
    The web said it had to be boiled too as its not sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We have put in a water treatment system for lime but I would like to get water tested before the baby comes just to make sure that it is suitable.
    Can anyone direct me towards a company that would do this? I'm in Cavan but would travel.

Pm if advertising specific companies not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Moonbeam wrote: »
    In France all the bottles water suitable for bottles has a baby on the label:)

In Spain they put pictures of baby bottles on the water suitable for bottles (Bezoya being the most popular for anyone going on holidays)

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    In Spain they put pictures of baby bottles on the water suitable for bottles (Bezoya being the most popular for anyone going on holidays)

I understand that though because I can't drink the water there.
    I just always presumed the water in America was like ours or better.
    Like the guy above says its safe.
    I don't understand why even pregnant women won't drink the water. And they are buying added fluoride water which apparently isn't sterilised and just making bottles with the cold water.
    That can't be right.
    Unless their formula is different of course, but that's a different subject altogether. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I wouldn't bet on the American water being better than Irish. Maybe in some spots it is but overall I'd be doubtful. Safety regulations don't seem to be as strict as in the EU and water is usually controlled independently by each county/town so the water can be wildly different. I live in the east coast. We got our tap water tested for lead as lead poisoning in children is a real problem in my city and it can be from the water pipes (or a lot of the time from paint as lead paint was allowed into the 70s). Our water was fine though.

I wouldn't bet on the American water being better than Irish. Maybe in some spots it is but overall I'd be doubtful. Safety regulations don't seem to be as strict as in the EU and water is usually controlled independently by each county/town so the water can be wildly different. I live in the east coast. We got our tap water tested for lead as lead poisoning in children is a real problem in my city and it can be from the water pipes (or a lot of the time from paint as lead paint was allowed into the 70s). Our water was fine though.

Oh I see so if there's a known problem people will use the bottled or baby water because of these problems. Well that makes sense.
    And just out of curiosity do you have a kettle?
    I just couldn't understand but if there's a genuine reason its a great idea.
    Just thought people were foregoing using perfectly good water just because nursery water has a baby on it. I read Gerber does it too.
    I'm sure some people do buy into it that don't need it as lots of people do with baby products im sure im guilty of that too.
    If I could just think of something unnecessary but awesome for babies I'd be in the money :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

sm213 wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. The way people were talking about it made it seem dangerous to drink.
    Some woman said her husband will not let her drink tap water while pregnant..
    I found a link on incredible infant can't post as I'm a newbie.
    Basically saying there's no need for it.
    Just clever marketing I suppose.. Or some dumb people :)

Here's your linky. :)

According to the website:
    Nursery Water is purified water with extra fluoride added.

So they are saying that breastmilk and formula both already have fluoride, so by giving nursery water or formula made from nursery water increases the flouride levels again.

Sounds gimmicky tbh.

Neyite wrote: »

Sounds gimmicky tbh.

That's what I thought when you actually read the article it seems unnecessary. :)

Thanks for the link!

Advertisement