Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Killiney residents, can you answer this question for me?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all,

We regularly walk from Killiney DART to Dalkey and our route takes us up Strathmore Road and on to Vico and then into Dalkey.

Was just looking at the map and there is a road just before the turn to Strathmore called Kilmore Avenue (formerly Saintfield Avenue) that leads up to Killiney Hill Road. Never noticed it before. On the streetview it doesn't look like a road at all, more like a private driveway!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.25839,-6.112835,3a,75y,282.61h,71.11t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEWDUQ3JMgdVtov5n1dfkyQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26output%3Dthumbnail%26thumb%3D2%26panoid%3DEWDUQ3JMgdVtov5n1dfkyQ%26w%3D88%26h%3D60%26yaw%3D263%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D96%26ll%3D53.258390,-6.112835!7i13312!8i6656

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a private road or not? I've googled and all I found was something that said it IS private, but public have access. I don't want to use it in case I am arrested.

Thanks very much.

Not sure exactly of its status, but it is a through road , you exit at the other side . ( without entering anyone's property) I cycle up it quite a bit as it's nice and steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ted1 wrote: »

Thanks ted1. That is the same document that I read aswell, but it does say that public have access. It is very confusing I think.

This is what it says about Kilmore Ave....

The main characteristics of Kilmore Avenue are like elsewhere in this area, being narrow and
    winding with an adjacent woodland canopy through which there are glimpses of dwellings
    standing in large landscaped gardens (with some properties fronting directly onto the road).
    (Even though there is full public access there is no through traffic, as it is used almost entirely
    for access to adjacent dwellings
    ).

Not sure exactly of its status, but it is a through road , you exit at the other side . ( without entering anyone's property) I cycle up it quite a bit as it's nice and steep.

If you can cycle up that road without being accosted for trespass, well walking sounds within the law too!

How steep is it?

If you can cycle up that road without being accosted for trespass, well walking sounds within the law too!

How steep is it?

Steep enough.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2724364

• Advertisement

OMG from 0.2 km to 0.3km :eek:

Another question... stupid probably, but is the route and climb from Station Road to Killiney Hill Road, or vice versa? The chart seems to show ascent from KH Road, but of course that could just be me being stooopid. Thanks.

I'd imagine it is the former though, as it is uphill all around there away from the sea.

Thanks.

OMG from 0.2 km to 0.3km :eek:

Another question... stupid probably, but is the route and climb from Station Road to Killiney Hill Road, or vice versa? The chart seems to show ascent from KH Road, but of course that could just be me being stooopid. Thanks.

I'd imagine it is the former though, as it is uphill all around there away from the sea.

Thanks.

It's uphill from station road.
    There's a lane directly opposite the station that takes you to killiney hill road. Also when the tide is out you can go over to white rock and then climb the steps ( lots of them) that's a nice walk. Or if the tide is in you can go up the lane beside the tea rooms which takes you out by Bonos, cross over to strathmore rd and then up the lane there too.

It's uphill from station road.
    There's a lane directly opposite the station that takes you to killiney hill road. Also when the tide is out you can go over to white rock and then climb the steps ( lots of them) that's a nice walk. Or if the tide is in you can go up the lane beside the tea rooms which takes you out by Bonos, cross over to strathmore rd and then up the lane there too.

You obviously live around there. Lucky you! And you are a mine of information too. Thank you.

One day we walked along the beach and went up about a million steps and came out on Strathmore Road near Bonos. You would never know the steps were there from the road. We needed oxygen though after the steps, so steep, and so many, but it was good.

What tea rooms are you talking about? Only place I know around there is the coffee shop at the DART station. Good coffee too.

Enjoyed the information, thanks again. Lovely part of the world that is, and so easy to get to for anyone in Dublin really. Stunning in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You obviously live around there. Lucky you! And you are a mine of information too. Thank you.

One day we walked along the beach and went up about a million steps and came out on Strathmore Road near Bonos. You would never know the steps were there from the road. We needed oxygen though after the steps, so steep, and so many, but it was good.

What tea rooms are you talking about? Only place I know around there is the coffee shop at the DART station. Good coffee too.

Enjoyed the information, thanks again. Lovely part of the world that is, and so easy to get to for anyone in Dublin really. Stunning in fact.

The tea rooms are the derelict buildings towards white rock beach. They haven't sold a cup of tea in quite a while!

Do you walk past Coliemore harbour on your way in to Dalkey, or along Sorrento, next to the Dart line?

If the latter, I would recommend turning right at the end of the Vico and on your left after about 50yards you'll see the entrance in to Sorrento park. If you walk up past the bandstand you can go to the top of the hill where there are fabulous views of both Killiney bay and Dalkey island.

Well folks, I took the road less travelled. Kilmore Avenue. It does look like a private drive at both ends, but we met a lady and she told us it is public, so off we went. There are some seriously nice houses on that road, it is so private that it's like the land that time forgot!

It is VERY steep, but we did it in one go and caught our breath at the top, Killiney Hill Road. Hard to believe I never knew that road was there, and such a handy shortcut up to KHRoad. Then up to Druid's Chair for a cup of coffee, down Victoria Road to wave at Enya, and back on to Vico again.

Super walk. Next time will go over Killiney Hill, and take the right of way at the top of Torca Road (steps down) onto Vico. Hope I don't get lost in the park!

Thanks again for all your advice and help on this. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Well folks, I took the road less travelled. Kilmore Avenue. It does look like a private drive at both ends, but we met a lady and she told us it is public, so off we went. There are some seriously nice houses on that road, it is so private that it's like the land that time forgot!

It is VERY steep, but we did it in one go and caught our breath at the top, Killiney Hill Road. Hard to believe I never knew that road was there, and such a handy shortcut up to KHRoad. Then up to Druid's Chair for a cup of coffee, down Victoria Road to wave at Enya, and back on to Vico again.

Super walk. Next time will go over Killiney Hill, and take the right of way at the top of Torca Road (steps down) onto Vico. Hope I don't get lost in the park!

Thanks again for all your advice and help on this. Appreciate it.

If you continue on down the vico toward dalkey there's a small hole in the wall at Hawk Cliff, it leads down to a swimming spot, it's really pretty area.

If you continue on down the vico toward dalkey there's a small hole in the wall at Hawk Cliff, it leads down to a swimming spot, it's really pretty area.

Hi, Thanks for that, and all the rest of the advice. Passed Hawk Cliff earlier, up for sale now. Wish I had the dosh. Still far away hills and all that.

That spot down to the sea by Hawk Cliff obv goes over or under the railway line, often said we must go down, but will do next time. Too wrecked today, and OH has a bad knee from running marathons in times past. The hill up Kilmore did it for him, but he struggled on.

So much to see and explore. Lovely area.

Thank you again.

I know where to come for any further info about this stunning area.

The tea rooms are the derelict buildings towards white rock beach. They haven't sold a cup of tea in quite a while!

Do you walk past Coliemore harbour on your way in to Dalkey, or along Sorrento, next to the Dart line?

If the latter, I would recommend turning right at the end of the Vico and on your left after about 50yards you'll see the entrance in to Sorrento park. If you walk up past the bandstand you can go to the top of the hill where there are fabulous views of both Killiney bay and Dalkey island.

Hi Fred, we usually go around by Sorrento Terrace and down Coliemore Road. Take a break at the harbour viewing point. Great to look all around at the ships lining up for Dublin Port and the views of Dalkey Island through the big binoculars there. Could spend an hour or more. Great spot.

Haven't gone up the hill in Sorrento Park, but passed it today, and it is definitely on the list!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Hi all,

We regularly walk from Killiney DART to Dalkey and our route takes us up Strathmore Road and on to Vico and then into Dalkey.

Was just looking at the map and there is a road just before the turn to Strathmore called Kilmore Avenue (formerly Saintfield Avenue) that leads up to Killiney Hill Road. Never noticed it before. On the streetview it doesn't look like a road at all, more like a private driveway!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.25839,-6.112835,3a,75y,282.61h,71.11t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEWDUQ3JMgdVtov5n1dfkyQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26output%3Dthumbnail%26thumb%3D2%26panoid%3DEWDUQ3JMgdVtov5n1dfkyQ%26w%3D88%26h%3D60%26yaw%3D263%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D96%26ll%3D53.258390,-6.112835!7i13312!8i6656

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a private road or not? I've googled and all I found was something that said it IS private, but public have access. I don't want to use it in case I am arrested.

Thanks very much.

it is a private road in that it is not in the charge of the Council but it is open to the public and you are free to use it, there is no problem, it is a public right of way, walk it with pleasure!

Paulownia wrote: »
    it is a private road in that it is not in the charge of the Council but it is open to the public and you are free to use it, there is no problem, it is a public right of way, walk it with pleasure!

Thanks for the confirmation. Is it the same for Marino Avenues East and West? East Ave. Looks like a private drive to me similar to Kilmore Avenue.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Marino+Ave+E,+Dublin/@53.2532856,-6.1148756,3a,75y,12.37h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVg0H1sYGb1wmLUzXS3AMtg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26output%3Dthumbnail%26thumb%3D2%26panoid%3DVg0H1sYGb1wmLUzXS3AMtg%26w%3D88%26h%3D60%26yaw%3D336%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D96%26ll%3D53.253286,-6.114876!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x486707e9f636f977:0x220ec77aa2ac4952

I Know Marino Avenue E. is a dead end, but from the maps I can see a walkway from the DART station that crosses it up to Killiney Hill Road via the West Ave.

Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Marino Avenue East is a pedestrian right of way, linked to an unpaved bit that runs down to the dart. It is where the ruins of the old church & graveyard are ( the one that gave Killiney / Cill Inion Leinin its name.)

Marino Avenue East is a pedestrian right of way, linked to an unpaved bit that runs down to the dart. It is where the ruins of the old church & graveyard are ( the one that gave Killiney / Cill Inion Leinin its name.)

Thanks. Lovely part of Dublin, have to say.

Advertisement