Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on travelling to California for a reasonable price

Options
  • 22-07-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I have a brother in california that i'm planning on visiting in the next month, can anyone recommend a cheap way to get there? Where's the cheapest flights usually from ireland to the usa? I was thinking of travelling to a cheaper destination and then getting to california by bus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hard to find bargain airfares to the West Coast, itasoftware.com flight matrix should bring up the best deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

kayak and hipmunk are the best ones for cheap flights.

Keep in mind that cheap is relative. At this time of year you could be looking at 1200 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

California is also huge - need to be more specific where (and also forget about busing there from some where else)

Ethopia airlines fly direct to LA from dublin for about 1200 dollars return (not sure what they will charge in Euro) - only carrier to go direct to LA

But either way wont be much change out of a 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    California is also huge - need to be more specific where (and also forget about busing there from some where else)

Ethopia airlines fly direct to LA from dublin for about 1200 dollars return (not sure what they will charge in Euro) - only carrier to go direct to LA

But either way wont be much change out of a 1000 euro

Ethiopian had return flights from Dub to LAX recently for under €600.

I missed out on them though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

boardbro wrote: »
    I have a brother in california that i'm planning on visiting in the next month, can anyone recommend a cheap way to get there? Where's the cheapest flights usually from ireland to the usa? I was thinking of travelling to a cheaper destination and then getting to california by bus

I have Aerlingus flights I'm trying to sell if they're any good to ya...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

How long will he be there?

Prices plummet after the Holiday Season is over. Can you wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

In los angeles,

@thisistough what price can you give me?

@InTheTrees a while, i can wait until then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

In los angeles,

@thisistough what price can you give me?

@InTheTrees a while, i can wait until then

Well Norwegian have cheap flights to LA from gatwick, and from Heathrow you could pick from a load of airlines.

There isn't really anywhere "cheap"on the west coast to fly into as the distances are pretty much the same to airlines. Also...bussing isn't really a good option. The closest big city to LA is San Diego which is 2 hours (doable) the next would Las Vegas (8 or 9 hours) and San Francisco (8 or 9 hours by bus).

Better just to suck up the cost and fly to LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I just paid €553 to go to SF return with Virgin Atlantic through Heathrow. Pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't know where these 1000+ numbers are coming from, I've booked San Francisco via Heathrow return for under 600 for next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I got DELTA for €450 into San Fran via JFK, out of Las Vegas via JFK a few years ago, they're no frills but cheap

Advertisement