Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can solicitor increase professional fee bill by 90%

Options
  • 22-07-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi

In March this year i asked my solicitor for an estimated bill of costs for a mortgage draw down. Their quote was for professional fee - €500.00 + VAT and other outlays bringing it to a total of €901.60

We agreed to proceed with this solicitor and advised the bank to forward on the documents to them.

We have now received a bill of professional fee - €950 + VAT and other outlays for a total of €1558.90.

When asked why such an increase i was told that its because Ulster Bank is covering €1500 towards the legal fees.

My view on this matter is that it should not matter to the solicitor who is paying for the legal costs and that i should have received the difference from the banks €1500 minus the €901.60 bill.

Any views on were i stand now ?

Murt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the 1500 is paid to the solicitor I wouldn't always expect the difference depending on the bank deal is done - but I'd still only expect them to charge the agreed fee.

If they don't drop it back under 1500 all in (so you don't pay anything), report them to Ulster Bank (after its all done) for defrauding them, and the Law Society also.

500 is low, as it stands but if they agreed to, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

L1011 wrote: »
    If the 1500 is paid to the solicitor I wouldn't always expect the difference depending on the bank deal is done - but I'd still only expect them to charge the agreed fee.

If they don't drop it back under 1500 all in (so you don't pay anything), report them to Ulster Bank (after its all done) for defrauding them, and the Law Society also.

500 is low, as it stands but if they agreed to, so be it.

Just read the terms of conditions - €1,500 payment will be made into your current account as a contribution to your legal fees, after mortgage drawdown. This amount is fixed and will not change if your legal fees are higher or lower.

I have over €1,300 on credit with this solicitor from last year which i am sure they will now use.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In that case, I would absolutely be expecting to have the remainder!

Tell him you're going to the law society unless he charges the agreed amount.

Advertisement