Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat out in Westport

• 22-07-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there, my boyfriend and I are going to Westport and staying in the Hotel Westport. I'm making the booking and deciding whether or not to book a meal in the hotel restaurant or to eat out. Any advice on this, has anyone eaten in the hotel restaurant? The hotel restaurant would be handy as you would just have to go downstairs. The price of the meal in the hotel restaurant will work out at €70 in total, not including wine... That's for a 3 course meal I think, we usually go with 2 courses each and aren't able for the 3rd course. I'm wondering is there somewhere else I should consider that would be near to walk from Hotel Westport, that would be nice and also a good price? Many thanks in advance. P.s we both love all types of food but for this would probably go for a menu with steak in it as he likes steak and it's his bday so wana keep him happy :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

It's about a 10 minute walk to the town centre where there's lots of restaurants. I like An Port Mor myself. I haven't eaten in Hotel Westport.

Many places have early bird options if you can get out early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1 to An Port Mór - it's really, really great.

There was a very upmarket Italian (not yer usual pizza/pasta joint ) somewhere on one of the main streets about five years ago - unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but maybe someone who's more familiar with the town would remember. I have no idea if it'd still be there (I doubt it somehow), but it was awfully good at the time. But might not suit your steak requirement, even if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

snailsong wrote: »
    An Port Mor

+1. The beans for their espresso is locally roasted, and is divine. We were told the owner (American?) fell in love with Ireland/Westport and decided to stay and make coffee. (eh, I may have made some of that story up... or at least embellished it)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There was a very upmarket Italian (not yer usual pizza/pasta joint ) somewhere on one of the main streets about five years ago - unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but maybe someone who's more familiar with the town would remember. I have no idea if it'd still be there (I doubt it somehow), but it was awfully good at the time. But might not suit your steak requirement, even if it was.

Had the same name cafe downstairs and the restaurant upstairs? Yes! Can't recall the name either but close to the alley where you turn into An Port Mor. They had Lobster. Crab Claws. Scallops. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bisounours wrote: »
    Had the same name cafe downstairs and the restaurant upstairs? Yes! Can't recall the name either but close to the alley where you turn into An Port Mor. They had Lobster. Crab Claws. Scallops. Yum.
    That sounds like it alright, although there wasn't a cafe that I remember, just the restaurant on the ground floor. Although we were there with a private party who had the whole place booked out, so God knows what it was like on a normal night.

Not necessarily to my taste (I'm not a huge seafood fan), but it was really very good.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Not necessarily to my taste (I'm not a huge seafood fan), but it was really very good.

Oh. I love seafood. :(

OH had the steak though. He's also not a big fan of shellfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Also love the Port Mor. Glorious food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

bisounours wrote: »

Sol Rio? Good Spot. Port Mor is great too but you gotta get bookin! Haven't tried the Hotel Westport in a Long time son don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Went to The Pantry & Corkcrew last time I was up in Westport. The food was amazing. We were given sample desserts to try, on top of what we ordered.
    Its just beside the Octagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

Sol Rio would be my personal favorite, but there are plenty of good choices in Westport so you won't go too far wrong wherever you choose to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

One of the best steaks I've ever had was in The Helm down along the quay in Westport. It's a bar & restaurant, very traditional with lots of character & is always busy so I'd advise booking in advance. I don't think it's walking distance from your hotel, but it would be a short taxi journey & well worth it IMO.
    Enjoy your stay in Westport! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

O Malleys.. Can't bate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Old Bridge, bottom of Bridge St.

Lovely food, European, Indian, Thai,

Superlative service

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dedrizzle

Hi again, we are heading this weekend and I made the booking with O' Malleys, their menu looked great, lots of choice, so thanks to into the blue :) Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

Reviving this thread in case of any further updates!
    A group of us heading to Westport next month. I've been told Pantry & Corkscrew is lovely but they don't have a table for us at the time we need unfortunately.
    Have narrowed it down to either Port Mor or Sage I think.
    Have heard good things about Port Mor, is it nice? Or would Sage be nicer?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

An Port Mor is top notch. It would be my choice. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Both are exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

yorlum11 wrote: »
    An Port Mor is top notch. It would be my choice. Enjoy!

Have to say I was disappointed in it the last couple of times I was there - it was OK, but only OK. Nothing special at all.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Have to say I was disappointed in it the last couple of times I was there - it was OK, but only OK. Nothing special at all.

That surprises me. I found the food, presentation and service to be excellent on my visits. What particular issues did you have with your meals? I see your location is Westport, so are you a particular fan of another local restaurant with a different style of cooking?

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    That surprises me. I found the food, presentation and service to be excellent on my visits. What particular issues did you have with your meals? I see your location is Westport, so are you a particular fan of another local restaurant with a different style of cooking?

For example, I like hake, but it's a very delicately flavoured white fish. The last time I was there, the hake I was served was badly over cooked and served with, of all things, red cabbage.

On the service, the restaurant has a kind of an alcove beside the main entrance and separate from the main dining space with two or three tables in it. I dislike it, because its drafty and noisy with people coming and going, and lacks atmosphere compared to the main restaurant.

For this reason I always ask not to be seated there when making a booking. The last time I ate there, they went to give me a table in this space. I reminded them of my request and while they did change my table, I had to wait and it seemed to me I was being treated as fussy and awkward. In my opinion, given their prices, diners have a right to be fussy.

Don't get me wrong - you won't get a bad meal in An Port Mór. But is it really "top notch" or "exceptional"? I don't think so - there are several restaurants in Westport I'd rate higher, such as Sage, The Idle Wall, The Pantry & Corkscrew, or the Knockranny House Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was in the Pantry and Corkscrew over the weekend, food was lovely and the menu varied, staff were very pleasant and accommodating as well.

Xenji wrote: »
    Was in the Pantry and Corkscrew over the weekend, food was lovely and the menu varied, staff were very pleasant and accommodating as well.

Always found P and CS to be good

Is mangos still going?

If so, mangos.

Is mangos still going?

If so, mangos.

Yes, Mangos still there.

Haven't been in it recently myself, but if has a very good reputation

gizmo555 wrote: »
    For example, I like hake, but it's a very delicately flavoured white fish. The last time I was there, the hake I was served was badly over cooked and served with, of all things, red cabbage.

On the service, the restaurant has a kind of an alcove beside the main entrance and separate from the main dining space with two or three tables in it. I dislike it, because its drafty and noisy with people coming and going, and lacks atmosphere compared to the main restaurant.

For this reason I always ask not to be seated there when making a booking. The last time I ate there, they went to give me a table in this space. I reminded them of my request and while they did change my table, I had to wait and it seemed to me I was being treated as fussy and awkward. In my opinion, given their prices, diners have a right to be fussy.

Don't get me wrong - you won't get a bad meal in An Port Mór. But is it really "top notch" or "exceptional"? I don't think so - there are several restaurants in Westport I'd rate higher, such as Sage, The Idle Wall, The Pantry & Corkscrew, or the Knockranny House Hotel.

I understand where you're coming from. Obviously I need to make another visit to Westport and try all your recommendations! In the meantime, did you mention your concerns to Frankie or the waiting staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabyGM146

The Hotel Westport itself I found very nice, but if you want to eat out I would recommend the Helm on Westport Quay.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from. Obviously I need to make another visit to Westport and try all your recommendations! In the meantime, did you mention your concerns to Frankie or the waiting staff?

So far as the table location was concerned, yes, and got what I perceived as a fair bit of "attitude" in response.

So far as the food went, no - I vote with my feet and eat elsewhere now, in places where my experience is that the food and overall dining experience is more consistently reliable and pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Advice needed please!

I need to book a restaurant in Westport for some important clients soon.
    Can anyone recommend a top restaurant in Westport which caters for corporate dining........top notch food but with the ability to have a conversation etc during dinner?

Many thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably La Fougère at Knockranny House Hotel. The food is superb - chef Seamus Commons is a bit of a legend - and it's a quiet, spacious (albeit pretty formal) dining setting.

Advertisement