Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sick dog, seems to be improving but won't eat

• 22-07-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Going through a tough time with my springer x atm. He's 13, hand reared by us from a day old so he I am more close to him than any other four legged animal I've ever owned!

Anyway, he has a bit of spondylosis (long term), but in the past couple of days he's developed some sort of lung infection - vets diagnosis on monday. Symptoms - lethargic, little appetite (though not nonexistent), little urination, generally sad - all out of character.

He's been put on a course of antibiotics for it....however he wouldnt really eat from about 6pm monday until yesterday at 5pm, when upon deciding we may bring him to the vet to say goodbye - he looked so grave, he hopped up and ate some white pudding (trying everything at the moment), and ran around.

He's improved a whole lot since yesterday, walking around, seems far happier though sill quite lethargic and insistent that he stays by my side (out of character, usually hes more obsessed with my brother). I dont really know what to do though because ive literally got one bite of chicken into him all day (with half a dose of the antibiotic).

I've tried soup, chicken, sausages, scrambled egg, pizza, dog food, digestive biscuits, whetabix....

anyone have any idea on what i should do to get his antibiotic into him... ive dissolved one in water but hes not even drinking very much

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can you not go for the good old slide-it-down-the-throat-with-your-finger technique?!

I'm in a not dissimilar situation right now with my barmy old, similarly aged Cocker x... Illness not the same but the meds are ruining her already-precarious appetite.
    She might devour one thing at one meal, and turn her nose up at it in preference to something else at her next mealtime... Very frustrating!
    So, here are a few things that she'll eat, some of the time:
    Natural yogurt
    Ham
    Naturediet complete wet food
    Tinned salmon
    Raw lamb's heart
    Today, it was Royal Canin Recovery (tinned slop)
    Raw carrot
    Her usual dry food (James Wellbeloved cereal-free)
    And the one thing she eats every day: dried tripe sticks, or dried cow's ears

She's turning her nose up at home-made chicken stew (I ask you :o!), and all of the above she's on and off with... Mealtimes are like a bloody buffet in this house now to see which will be eaten at any one mealtime :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dublinjen

The family are a bit against that, he gets very distressed when you try and we figure if this is his last few days lets not distress him....off to try tinned salmon! thanks for the advice!

Also +1 on the buffet style dog dining

I wonder could you powder the meds, dissolve in some water (sweetened? Or cooled stock?) and syringe it slowly onto his tongue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can the antibiotics be given as an injection?

DBB wrote: »
    I wonder could you powder the meds, dissolve in some water (sweetened? Or cooled stock?) and syringe it slowly onto his tongue?

dissolved one in water but he pretty much pulls his neck 360 turning his nose up at it...the stock might work tho ill try that
    Can the antibiotics be given as an injection?

yeah, if he doesnt take it by tomorrow ill bring him back, im just trying to avoid astronomical vet fees if possible (will obviously spend whatever he really needs, he sees the vet far more than i see a doctor!)

• Advertisement

dublinjen wrote: »
    dissolved one in water but he pretty much pulls his neck 360 turning his nose up at it...the stock might work tho ill try that

Try to use some sort of syringe so you can drip it onto his tongue, even a turkey baster would do the job. Keep the volume of fluid small so you don't ene up trying to syringe a liter into him!
    Another thing he might just lick at is honey or jam, if he will do that, you should be able to crumble the ABs into it.
    I feel your pain, I really do :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

nothing worse than trying to get meds into a sick dog - unless its a sick elderly weakened dog :mad:

I found crushing a pill into a tiny bit of honey, and sringe-ing it into the side of his mouth worked, as DBB suggested. It wasnt so runny that it ran out the other side of his mouth - very messy though getting it into the syringe etc - used a horse worming one

I ended us crushing his meds into that tub of "cheese" stuff - cheese spread type thing - god knows it was never cheese!! A tsp of the cheese spread, crushed tablet, well mixed and smeared the goop inside his mouth/gums - he quite liked the goop, and took ages to smack it all off his chops - but it worked (for a while!)

good luck, as DBB says, I feel your pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

That gloopy cheese idea is brilliant, they'd basically have to eat it before they'd manage to spit it out! I'll remember that one.

Major thanks for the advice aonb and DBB.

I think I foudn the secret ingredient, in the last hour he's eaten THREE superquinn sausages (Ive run out now and have to peg it to the shop for more first thing). Genuinely ordered dominos for the dog last night because he's notorious for robbing it but even that wouldnt work.

God bless superquinn sausages

Advertisement