Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC/Games Console Build (Alienware Alpha)

Options
  • 22-07-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to build a PC/Games console like the ALIENWARE Alpha(to play Total War games) I previously posted in pc gaming & advised to build my own as I'd get better bang for buck than buying Alienware.
    I've never built a PC (techophobe) can someone advise on parts I need. Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Can you fill this out please?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

1. What is your budget? [€xxx] 600/700€
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games) Gaming
    prison architect/ total war
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    No
    5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    connect to TV via HDMI
    5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]
    SAMSUNG HD READY. WILL CONSIDER UPGRADE
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Wireless card
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]14 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]
    south Dublin

Can you fill this out please?

Right.

R9 270X €170
    ASRock Pro4 H97 €80
    Seagate Barracuda 1tb €50
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport €50
    BeQuiet Pure Power L8 €60
    BitFenix Case €50
    i3 4160 €115
    That comes to €575, probably a little higher.

All prices are from hardwareversand after geizhals affiliate site. Should be a little higher from Amazon if you'd prefer them.

If that's really all you want to play, then this build should be fine, its more powerful than the PS4 or XOne so if you'd like to get into gaming properly then this'd do you.

Windows key is €20, I'll provide a link when I'm on my own PC again

Any questions, ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Thanks for help Digital Solitude. Is this comparable to the Alienware Alpha which has the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 card. I have a lad who'll put it together. If I spend a little more, where am I best putting the money? Graphics card maybe? Thanks in advance

Yeah, big changes for not very much money where low-mid GPUs are involved. Jumping the CPU would be no harm but an i3 is more than adequate anyways.

There's no concrete call on the Alphas GPU, but supposedly it'll be similar to a GTX 860M or a GTX 750Ti, both of which are weaker than the 270X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Yeah, big changes for not very much money where low-mid GPUs are involved. Jumping the CPU would be no harm but an i3 is more than adequate anyways.

There's no concrete call on the Alphas GPU, but supposedly it'll be similar to a GTX 860M or a GTX 750Ti, both of which are weaker than the 270X

The Alpha's GPU is actually an entirely new card, similar to the upcoming GTX 950 2Gb version (the base will come in 1Gb and 2Gb versions) which is poo to a 270X.

If budget allows, it might be worthwhile to add an SSD to the build, so load times of Window can be kept to a minimal. Any good €50 128Gb SSD will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would expect the GTX950 to be similar to a GTX760, so it would possibly be close enough to the 270X.

It has to run off a 130w PSU. Is nVidias power consumption that low, when paired with an i3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, the i3T is just 35w, and I'm sure they can get the TDP for the custom GPU low enough. The GTX750Ti has a TDP of 60w for example and the new card should be an improvement on that again performance wise with a similar power draw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought the rumour is that it'll be a 950m not a desktop 950. That would be way less than 130w. Probably won't compete with a desktop 270x though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement