Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleeping bag & 2 man tent

Options
  • 22-07-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭

gents,

I need a sleeping bag for two reasons

• on the ferry i sleep in this so saves me £40 on a cabin.
    • want to start exploring uk whilst im still workig over here so going to have it in the back of the jeep im restoring (will throw up a thread when i get closer to completion).

Also want a 2 man tent for the jeep too. One which is easily stored away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Whatever you get its probably going to be cheaper and give you more choice if you buy in the UK. There are plenty of camping shops over there where they have massive choice in sleeping bags and have them all out on display (both rolled up and out).

High on my list of tents would be the vango force tens, very solid (been out in them when other tents have been blowing away) but a little heavy.

Some vango force ten reviews here search the site for reviews of any other tent that interests you.

It seems Blacks of Greenock are now the "makers" of "vango" force tens tents and the names have changed and they are now called "force ten classics". You can find them starting here. Prices seem high but some things to bear in mind, you can get spare parts (flysheets, main tents poles, apex etc) and they are repairable (if you can find someone capable of the work) and they last for years and years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Check out http://www.decathlon.ie/all-sports/camping-gear/camping-tents.html?gclid=COLZoq3j8MYCFSGg2wodUUgH7g

Their pop up tents are great.
    They are dearer but are proper tents: proper groundsheet, double skinned, ventilation, some even have lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/duke-of-edinburgh-recommended/221-pulsar-200.html

I have something similar to this (equinox 250) and it seems to be a great tent

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

I got my -10 degree C bag from Argos in Cork several years ago (On-line reservation and picked the local store and went and collected it.). It is a "Vango" brand with a square bottom (Where your feet go!) Although I haven't taken it out to minus 0 temps it has and is serving me well!
    As for a tent... IF you expect wet weather, then a sewn-in ground sheet, and double skinned is the way to go. I spent a MISERABLE weekend at a show soaked to the bone in a single skinned tent!

Hope this helps.

The Mad Englishman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

on the ferry i sleep in this so saves me £40 on a cabin.
    Spend the £40 or you'll be driving sleepy as most ferries make their money from the all night parties people have on them.
    want to start exploring uk whilst im still workig over here so going to have it in the back of the jeep im restoring (will throw up a thread when i get closer to completion).
    How much room is there in the back of the jeep? Would you be able to fit a bed of some sort into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

ShadowFox wrote: »

Seen these on the site they look good. Anyone used something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »
    How much room is there in the back of the jeep? Would you be able to fit a bed of some sort into it?
    On this; would a hammock fit into the jeep?

This would be doable, but this looks easier to do, although the latter would probably only hold your weight....

Even found one that has a sink as part of the setup!

The blow up bed that covers the back area of the jeep could also be an awesome idea.

This one also looks cool.

The super handy thing is that you don't have to set up the tent when you get to where you want to go, nor do you have to find somewhere to pitch the tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm about to book tickets for the ferry so was thinking about this question again.

tbh I wouldn't be taking a decent sleeping bag on the ferry. For €15 you can get a perfectly usable sleeping bag from Lidl or Aldi thats perfect for use on the ferry with no worry about it being stolen, damaged or puked on. The ones with a full length zip would be ideal for getting in and out of with cloths on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

my3cents wrote: »
    I'm about to book tickets for the ferry so was thinking about this question again.

tbh I wouldn't be taking a decent sleeping bag on the ferry. For €15 you can get a perfectly usable sleeping bag from Lidl or Aldi thats perfect for use on the ferry with no worry about it being stolen, damaged or puked on. The ones with a full length zip would be ideal for getting in and out of with cloths on.

i get a 20% discount with stena line

• Advertisement
Advertisement