Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict South Dublin

Options
  • 22-07-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Just looking at this site and wondering is their an equivalent (up-to-date) website covering derelict buildings in South County Dublin?

There's a big discussion about derelict buildings and vacant sites in Dublin generally here but I'm struggling to find one on derelict buildings and vacant sites in South Dublin.

I'll start.

Blackrock baths:

1024px-IMG_BlackrockBaths1495b.jpg

Tea rooms on Killiney beach:

PL2164786@Crack%20Den%20at%20site.jpg

Dún Laoghaire baths:

dun-laoghaire-baths-1.jpg

Any houses/sites/yards/old factories blotting your local landscape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Just looking at this site and wondering is their an equivalent (up-to-date) website covering derelict buildings in South County Dublin?

There's a big discussion about derelict buildings and vacant sites in Dublin generally here but I'm struggling to find one on derelict buildings and vacant sites in South Dublin.

I'll start.

Blackrock baths:

1024px-IMG_BlackrockBaths1495b.jpg

Tea rooms on Killiney beach:

PL2164786@Crack%20Den%20at%20site.jpg

Dún Laoghaire baths:

dun-laoghaire-baths-1.jpg

Any houses/sites/yards/old factories blotting your local landscape?

Black rocks baths, demolished .
    Killiney tea rooms, bricked up/ closed.
    DL Baths, due for demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Interesting website that 'Derelict Dublin'. He needs to take a spin out to Dun Laoghaire. We have so many empty buildings here, festering and rotting and waiting for WHAT? What exactly are we waiting for.

Why are the likes of the the old Christian Bros. school, the old senior college opposite on Eblana Avenue, the massive empty CoCo yard beside the old Dun Leary fire station, to name but a few, not rezoned and turned into apartments so that people can live in them. The same goes for all the empty shops that sit rotting. Most of these will never be let for retail again, shopping as we know it has died, so just rezone them.

There are tons of working people trying to find somewhere to live. Why force people to live and commute all the way from the likes of Gorey and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinasea wrote: »
    Interesting website that 'Derelict Dublin'. He needs to take a spin out to Dun Laoghaire. We have so many empty buildings here, festering and rotting and waiting for WHAT? What exactly are we waiting for.

Why are the likes of the the old Christian Bros. school, the old senior college opposite on Eblana Avenue, the massive empty CoCo yard beside the old Dun Leary fire station, to name but a few, not rezoned and turned into apartments so that people can live in them. The same goes for all the empty shops that sit rotting. Most of these will never be let for retail again, shopping as we know it has died, so just rezone them.

There are tons of working people trying to find somewhere to live. Why force people to live and commute all the way from the likes of Gorey and beyond.

Its not as simple as that unfortunately.

I do some work for investment interests who buy sites to develop or to add to portfolios. The large former public sites are not for sale, yet. The public sector are waiting to extract maximum value for them and they don't believe they are at that point yet. This is carefully watched in central government / NAMA etc

Empty shops are privately owned, often by pension funds or other large portfolios. A big issue in Dun Laoghaire, and nationwide, is the rent demanded by these owners far exceeds the ability of the type of business that would occupy the units, to pay for. Ive been saying for years that this is the root cause of Dun Laoghaire's issues, not rates particularly and certainly not parking charges.

As for derelict seafront sites, local lobby groups have stymied various initiatives over the years, but if they were all to end up like the LexIcon, I cant say I blame them. DL baths is due for a transformation next year, maybe the other sites can be dealt with in the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Have to agree with much of what Labre says.

One obvious solution is to implement a site value tax rather than a property tax. The only reason we haven't gone down this route is lobbying from land developers/speculators/investors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

This one has been sitting empty in Firhouse for a couple of years now and will begin to start looking derelict if no one takes it:

https://goo.gl/maps/gZGB1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not as simple as that unfortunately.

I do some work for investment interests who buy sites to develop or to add to portfolios. The large former public sites are not for sale, yet. The public sector are waiting to extract maximum value for them and they don't believe they are at that point yet. This is carefully watched in central government / NAMA etc

I just don't understand that.

The public sector sites if I am understanding correctly some of which have sat empty for 20 years at least can surely not be waiting for the value to increase - it doesn't take 20 years. That substantial ideally located rotting site down where the corporation had their depot, near the old Dun Leary fire station is a disgrace as are all the other ones that I mentioned, and there are tons more littered around Dun Laoghaire.

Sorry, personally I just don't buy this nonsense. We are constantly hearing that there is a shortage of both office space not to mention housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MrWalsh wrote: »
    This one has been sitting empty in Firhouse for a couple of years now and will begin to start looking derelict if no one takes it:

https://goo.gl/maps/gZGB1

Have you any pictures of how it's looking these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Synode wrote: »
    Have you any pictures of how it's looking these days?

I changed from running outside to a treadmill due to knee problems so I havent run past it in about a year Id say, and its set quite far back so not much of a look from the car but I can pull in sometime and get a recent pic of it.

I did notice when I was U turning at its entrance a few months ago that it had begun to look like it was falling into disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was talk of the tearooms being developed, I think into more cafes and maybe a boat or surf rental place or something. Think it was scrapped.

There was a list of derelict houses I found in the minutes of some DLR council meetings, not sure if any businesses were listed.

Advertisement