Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from Community Employment to Back to Education Allowance

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been working the last year as part of the Community Employment scheme after being on Job-seekers Allowance and have been accepted to a degree programme in September.

I've been told that I should qualify for Back to Education Allowance but now that it's getting closer, I'm starting to panic a bit.

Does anyone know
    • Will I definitely qualify?
    • What do I have to do?

The information I find online isn't very clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can progress from CE onto BTEA but if your scheme hasn't ended you will have to have a good case for giving it up and may have to prove why the degree is a better 'activation' option than the scheme.

Below is the info from DSP on qualifying payments etc.
    3.4 Counting periods on other schemes towards the qualifying period

Periods spent on a range of other education, training, work placement and activation support schemes can be taken into account when determining the required number of days in receipt of a qualifying payment. The schemes include: full-time training courses operated by SOLAS/ETBs, Community Employment, Rural Social Scheme, Tús, JobBridge/WPP, Gateway, Part-time Job Incentive Scheme, Back to Work Enterprise Allowance or Short-term Enterprise Allowance and VTOS. Only in circumstances where a Case Officer is satisfied that a course of study represents a better activation option, should an applicant cease engagement on these programmes prior to completion. Eligibility to BTEA does not extend to Qualified Adults of participants of these schemes.

This provision applies only in cases where the applicant has established an entitlement to a qualifying social welfare payment immediately prior to commencement of their course (see 3.3 for linking arrangements).

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#4.1

Advertisement