Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my house

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I will be moving out of my house soon to relocate for work and I have decided to rent it out. I'll be working and living about 2 hours away and think that a letting agent / property manager may be the way to go - especially as I have little to no experience in these matters.
    Any advice for me on things I should be aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

You will be liable for tax at the highest rate on the income from your house. You will still have to pay full rent on your new accommodation. Very unfair imo but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

rougegal wrote: »
    I will be moving out of my house soon to relocate for work and I have decided to rent it out. I'll be working and living about 2 hours away and think that a letting agent / property manager may be the way to go - especially as I have little to no experience in these matters.
    Any advice for me on things I should be aware of?

I'd buy an economical car and commute.

The overburdening in taxation/registration with Prtb/ property tax/ Prsi/ Usc of Landlords who make "profits" from lettings is criminal and makes it undesirable to be in that position. Couple that with the risk of dodgy tenants and the nightmare is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Thanks @Riverireland i agree that it's unfair that it's going to cost me more to rent it out than if I stay there myself. I'd rather not leave it empty.

If it's two hours or less id be inclined to be giving commuting a go also, it would be less hassle and if the car is economical it shouldn't be too much different in costs.

If you stayed in a B&B one night and could work from home one day that would ease the commute a lot too, say stay down the Monday night and work from home the Friday would mean 3 return trips over the week.

Edit: If you were to rent it out I would personally look after it myself though especially with living so close relatively speaking. I'd much prefer to be picking the tenants and carrying out regular inspections myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

If you hire an EA to let/manage your property you can write the full cost of this off against tax on rental income as it is seen as an expenditure.

What part of the country is the property in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So you're recommending driving 20 hours a week to work instead of being a landlord? Being a landlord must be horrible because there's no way I'd even consider spending that amount of time commuting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So you're recommending driving 20 hours a week to work instead of being a landlord? Being a landlord must be horrible because there's no way I'd even consider spending that amount of time commuting.

Most people who work in Dublin- and live on the outskirts- habitually spend 20 hours a week commuting (sometimes more). The tax treatment of landlords and the regulatory requirements are such that you really do not want to go into the property letting business- unless you really need to.

I wasn't really suggesting it because I think being a LL itself is necessarily an awful lot of hassle but moving and more so moving out of the place you bought and also having to be paying rent when you already own a house is hassle and of course paying tax on the rental income is another big issue. Also you may know people in the area and like the area, hence why the house was bought in the first place.

20 hours a week is a lot, bit not totally outlandish either and as I outlined you could get that down to 12 hours a week quite easily (depending on the flexibility of your job).

The deciding factor for me would be how attached I was to the area where I owned the house. If it was just a place I bought and had no real attachment then I'd be willing to put up with less of a commute, however if I was living near family and friends and in an area I really wanted to live I'd be to put up with the guts of 20 hours commuting a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Most people who work in Dublin- and live on the outskirts- habitually spend 20 hours a week commuting (sometimes more). The tax treatment of landlords and the regulatory requirements are such that you really do not want to go into the property letting business- unless you really need to.

There is no way this is true. I live on the outskirts of Dublin, and over the last few years have worked in various parts of Dublin city and my commute has never taken more than an hour each way. The side I come in from was once known as the worst side of Dublin to come in from at rush hour, it's much better since the Newlands cross flyover went up, but even before that an hour was the max commute.

Unless you are really pushing the definition of the word outskirt where could possibly take 2 hours to reach the city centre? Even if it exists it is certainly not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Why not let out a room or two first to a lodger(s)? Mates rate and mates of mates only & see how that goes first to cover the costs of commuting (and your side of the bills) if you're worried about damage or extra costs to letting the house out? Then if it gets too much (time wasted commuting and stress) then relocate?
    I'm in a similar position having to move to another city to go back to college for a year and doing that to offset my expenses I'm not earning.
    Otherwise clear your stuff & prepare for the nightmare to ensue..

• Advertisement

hytrogen wrote: »
    Why not let out a room or two first to a lodger(s)?.

Actually this raises a question I was wondering in the past, if the op was to rent a room in a houseshare say in his new city and stay there a couple of evenings a week but return at the weekend and also some nights during the week to his own home would it legally fall under the rent a room scheme as the property would still be his principal residence and the place he was renting would be no more than a B&B really.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Actually this raises a question I was wondering in the past, if the op was to rent a room in a houseshare say in his new city and stay there a couple of evenings a week but return at the weekend and also some nights during the week to his own home would it legally fall under the rent a room scheme as the property would still be his principal residence and the place he was renting would be no more than a B&B really.

Depends on what you mean by a couple of nights. If it was just Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then it is highly unlikely Revenue would entertain that argument.
    The place he is renting even if it was just a room in a B&B can still be classified as a Principal Residence.

What Adrian is saying is the case- you're not going to get away with playing mind games with Revenue- they are well aware of these kinds of tricks.

What Adrian is saying is the case- you're not going to get away with playing mind games with Revenue- they are well aware of these kinds of tricks.

Oh I'm not suggesting games or anything like that I was just genuinely wondering how it would work.
    adrianw wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by a couple of nights. If it was just Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then it is highly unlikely Revenue would entertain that argument.
    The place he is renting even if it was just a room in a B&B can still be classified as a Principal Residence.

If he spent more days in his own house than the rented place say 4 nights at home 3 in the rented place and literally just used it as a place to sleep, that's the type of scenario I was thinking off. Basically his life was still based around his own house. Just wondering as people working away from home is happening quite a bit now, and these types of scenarios where someone waits away some days of the week but still base their life at their own house are happening quite often.

I was actually thinking of it from the point of view of someone who as been doing rent a room all along and is faced with spending some time away every week due to change in job rather than someone doing it when they move away in order to rent out the place tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

I used to live an hour away from work, so commuted two hours a day. I have since rented out my house and now rent closer to work. It takes me 15 mins to get to work now. My quality of life has increased enormously. I can't stress enough how happy I am to have moved and not commute anymore. Being a new landlord is stressful and you need to know your stuff. But as someone who took the plunge recently, I would recommend it. I have yet to see how much tax I will need to pay though! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It really isn't, sorry. Redefining a PPR to a B&B based on staying away for work during the week? Nonsense.

Obviously artificial arrangements? - yes they are suspect and rightly so.

It really isn't, sorry. Redefining a PPR to a B&B based on staying away for work during the week? Nonsense.

Obviously artificial arrangements? - yes they are suspect and rightly so.

And why is what I said nonsense?
    Are you basing this assertion on any particular piece of legislation or personal opinion?

Are you basing this assertion on any particular piece of legislation or personal opinion?

You are the one making the assertion that Revenue will define staying in a B & B during the week for work purposes as a PPR rather than the property that mortgage, property tax, utilities etc. etc. are paid on. It is down to you, therefore, to provide evidence that this would be the case. Over to you.

You are the one making the assertion that Revenue will define staying in a B & B during the week for work purposes as a PPR rather than the property that mortgage, property tax, utilities etc. etc. are paid on. It is down to you, therefore, to provide evidence that this would be the case. Over to you.

Section 604 of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997.

I await your legislative reference or an apology.

Section 604 of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997.

I await your legislative reference or an apology.

Have a look at (5) (b) (ii)

Good night.

• Advertisement

Have a look at (5) (b) (ii)

Good night.

And where in that section does it say if an individual rents and room in a house / b&b while owning another property elsewhere, that the b&b cannot be deemed his or her PPR?

All that says is a property may be deemed to be your residence during a time of absence.

It says nothing about a second property NOT being eligible to be a PPR.

And where in that section does it say if an individual rents and room in a house / b&b while owning another property elsewhere, that the b&b cannot be deemed his or her PPR?

All that says is a property may be deemed to be your residence during a time of absence.

It says nothing about a second property NOT being eligible to be a PPR.

Well where does it say that a temporary B&B can be deemed to be a PPR? Bear in mind the section of the ISB you sent through was referring to disposal of assets and consequent liability to capital gains tax.

It was you who made the statement originally so you cannot expect me to prove a negative. If you can provide judgements, case law, any verifiable source that supports your contention I will happily accept that I am wrong and make a charity donation this weekend as a penance.

As I said originally, where the situation is artificial - e.g. Person A doesn't really live in the house, owns/rents the other property, etc. then there could well be an issue. Where Person A simply stays elsewhere during the week for work purposes but returns at the weekend I cannot see how this can be an issue regarding their property being considered their PPR. For one thing, how would Revenue even know?

Moderator note

Guys- less aggression and a little more civility towards one another please.

Point noted The_Conductor, however I feel I have been civil. I did not make any disparaging remarks against Sunnysoutheast. I am merely defending my original post which he said was nonsense.

I have asked him to provide legislative backup to this comment or to provide an apology, neither of which have been supplied.

Sunnysoutheast, the legislative reference states an individual can only have one Principal Residence - it does not say the accommodation has to be a property owned by the individual - as per a Revenue note.

www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax...tax.../19-07-03.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Without knowing your financial status or that of your mortgage, my first opinion would be consideration to the rent a room scheme.

If you rent our your house you will lose your mortgage interest relief and be liable for the full rate of tax on the rental income regardless of whether it covers your mortgage or not. You will also have to pay the PTRB and your home insurance may increase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

faceman wrote: »
    Without knowing your financial status or that of your mortgage, my first opinion would be consideration to the rent a room scheme.

If you rent our your house you will lose your mortgage interest relief and be liable for the full rate of tax on the rental income regardless of whether it covers your mortgage or not. You will also have to pay the PTRB and your home insurance may increase too.

Also for consideration the OP says relocating for work. Is this permanent? if so, why hold onto property - sell it and buy in new location. After all aren't we told that prices are BOOmier!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If becoming a reluctant landlord, I found this website a great help

www.irishlandlord.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op you are new to being a LL so I suggest you get to terms with this idea that it will be a business you are running and try and part yourself from the property as to not be emotionaly attached.

You would be best with an estate agent and also make well sure of who will be renting are genuine and have good genuine references.

You would be best also removing all personal items and if you have really good furniture take it with you or put in storage.
    Buy second hand furniture for parts and if you need to buy say cheaper beds keep all receipts as can be offset as costs on tax.

Make sure to register tenancy and take all bills out of your name and put into new tenants names.

Good luck with the job and move op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Rent a Room is not about where you spend the most nights. If you are not maintaining a second residence then the requirement to keep your house as your PPR is pretty tenuous; people maintain PPRs in ireland with only a few days a month at home.

• Advertisement

Reading the below you would really struggle to make a case for a B&B or room in a houseshare for crashing in a few night a week being your PPR, in fact I don't see how you could reach that conclusion.

4.1 Sole or main residence
    The room or rooms must be in a residential premises that is situated in the State and that is occupied by an individual as his/her sole or main residence during the particular tax year.

An individual may live in more than one residence but can only avail of rent-a-room relief in respect of his/her sole or main residence.

In general, an individual’s sole or main residence is that individual’s home for the greater part of the time and where friends and correspondents would expect to find him/her.

There is very blatant abuse of the rent a room scheme going on but I really think where a person is staying away from home during the week/some of the week that its a very fair use of the scheme.

Its no different to someone who travels a lot for work, if you were abroad a few days every week going to different places nobody would say that the persons home isn't their PPR, why should it be different if the person just travels within the country and to the same location rather than different ones. Their whole life still revolves around their home, they are simply sleeping somewhere else during the working week.

Advertisement