Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efiber cobh

Options
  • 23-07-2015 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

any news on exchange RBK1_091 (Rushbrook exchange) in cobh we seem to be the last to get fiber it seems to be an exchange on its own in the estae eircom promising efiber all the time but nothing yet? even though half the estate has fiber on a separate cabinet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

B wrote: »
    any news on exchange RBK1_091 (Rushbrook exchange) in cobh we seem to be the last to get fiber it seems to be an exchange on its own in the estae eircom promising efiber all the time but nothing yet? even though half the estate has fiber on a separate cabinet
    Hi BBS,

I can confirm that once this is eFibre ready RBK1_091 will be renamed RBK1_E01. Currently there is no agreed launch date assigned to this cabinet although our networks team have indicated that hopes are that it should be eFibre ready within the next 3 to 4 months.

I understand it's quiet a long time to wait in consideration of other cabinets already completed nearby but this is the most accurate information available surrounding RBK1_091

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

any update on this is it fiber enabled?

B wrote: »
    any update on this is it fiber enabled?
    Hi B

I'm sorry to say Rushbrooke has been delayed and now has a new forcasted launch date of early to mid 2016.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

There was eircom salespeople going door to door a few months ago saying that this exchange had been updated to provide faster speeds than what was available before. Can you confirm what speeds are available from this exchange now?
    The salesperson was claiming 20meg but that number is probably pointless if there's contention ratios on the exchange still.

ye 20 megs i have in oak drive eircom only can give it vodafone and the rest no but its crap from 6pm the usual 5 meg  conjestion.

• Advertisement

MackMack wrote: »
    There was eircom salespeople going door to door a few months ago saying that this exchange had been updated to provide faster speeds than what was available before. Can you confirm what speeds are available from this exchange now?
    The salesperson was claiming 20meg but that number is probably pointless if there's contention ratios on the exchange still.
    Hi MackMack

If you would like to PM me your existing land line number I will be happy to test your line and see what the max it can hold.

Thanks
    Al

I don't have a landline, got rid of it because the internet speed was so bad. When I had a line in it was connected to the RBK1_091 cabinet about 200m down the road from me.

If you can tell me if there's a contention ratio on the lines going to this cabinet It'll confirm the speed that B above is getting will be about the max anyone in the estate of 300-400 houses will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

I don't have a landline, got rid of it because the internet speed was so bad. When I had a line in it was connected to the RBK1_091 cabinet about 200m down the road from me.

If you can tell me if there's a contention ratio on the lines going to this cabinet It'll confirm the speed that B above is getting will be about the max anyone in the estate of 300-400 houses will get.
    HI MackMack

I will be unable to offer an indication of what speeds to expect without a working land line number to test. If you can PM me the specific address I'll see what I can do.

Follow here for a graph on advised speeds v distance : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for offering to check the speed for me Alan but I'll save you having to do it. As B says above he gets 5meg in the evenings indicating the lines are shared between everyone in the cabinet. 
    Even if I was in the house next to the cabinet ye wouldn't be able to match the 20meg constant reliable speed I get from Nova, which is also cheaper than ye're 20meg package ye offer.

Thanks for replying though, even if you didn't answer the question :p

Thanks for offering to check the speed for me Alan but I'll save you having to do it. As B says above he gets 5meg in the evenings indicating the lines are shared between everyone in the cabinet. 
    Even if I was in the house next to the cabinet ye wouldn't be able to match the 20meg constant reliable speed I get from Nova, which is also cheaper than ye're 20meg package ye offer.

No problem MackMack

Just to clarify, there's no contention ratio with efibre FTTH

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

eir: Alan wrote: »

No problem MackMack

Thanks
    Al
    Just to clarify, there's no FTTH in Cobh. I know 1 or 20000 people that would love contention free FTTH in Cobh

Thanks

eir: Alan wrote: »

No problem MackMack

Thanks
    Al
    Just to clarify, there's no FTTH in Cobh. I know 1 or 20000 people that would love contention free FTTH in Cobh

Thanks
    That's correct MackMack - there's no FTTH in Cobh yet, I did not intent to suggest there was.

Thanks
    Al

Any updates on this exchange? I noticed that there's work going on next to it at the moment. New foundations and a cable conduit as if they're putting in a cabinet there. Hopefully it's for the efibre cabinet?

Any updates on this exchange? I noticed that there's work going on next to it at the moment. New foundations and a cable conduit as if they're putting in a cabinet there. Hopefully it's for the efibre cabinet?
    Hi MackMack

There is no further update in regards to a time-frame for the launch of RBK1_E01. Works are ongoing but the best indication currently available is that it should be ready between early to mid 2016.

Al

Thanks Alan,
    Foundations going in now would suggest at least a few months of work ahead, at least there's a bit of progress with it. 
    Mind you, if the FTTH (from ye or Siro) gets in there first there's going to be no point in putting in the fibre cabinet :p

Thanks Alan,
    Foundations going in now would suggest at least a few months of work ahead, at least there's a bit of progress with it. 
    Mind you, if the FTTH (from ye or Siro) gets in there first there's going to be no point in putting in the fibre cabinet :p
    Yes it's a good sign MackMack :)

Al

Well, looks like a cabinet has finally landed on the foundations mentioned above. Looks a lot smaller than a normal efibre cabinet but it was dark when I was passing it.

Are we a bit closer to getting some decent broadband into the links or are ye just trolling us? :p
    if so, any idea how soon it might be enabled? Don't want to get in a phone line for broadband now if it's not going to be live for another year.

Hi RBK1_E01

There is still no advised launch date for RBK1_E01 - there is not even an indication right now. I can't offer you information that has not yet even been agreed I'm afraid - apologies for the inconvenience.

Al

Bit unusual for all this work to be done without anyone knowing when it's actually scheduled to be done. That's something you'd expect in the public sector, not a private business.

Any truth to the rumour that the reason this cabinet is being delayed is because of flooding in the cabinet on the Monkstown/Passage side that the rushbrooke cabinet is connected to?

Anyways, I'll check in again in a few months. Might have Siro in before this cabinet goes live.

Bit unusual for all this work to be done without anyone knowing when it's actually scheduled to be done. That's something you'd expect in the public sector, not a private business.

Any truth to the rumour that the reason this cabinet is being delayed is because of flooding in the cabinet on the Monkstown/Passage side that the rushbrooke cabinet is connected to?

Anyways, I'll check in again in a few months. Might have Siro in before this cabinet goes live.
    I'm sorry the news is not better MackMack - I can assure you it's the most accurate though

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

dont think that monkstown has nothing to do at all with this cabinet after all monkstown is the other side of the river but i hope this cab gets live soon.

Any engineer that's been asked about this cabinet has said the same thing, it's connected to the exchange in Passage, not to the one in cobh. Doesn't make sense running it across the river but they to know what they're talking about. It would explain why it hasn't been upgraded to efibre too, the passage exchange isn't upgraded for the direct fed connections yet whereas the cobh one is.
    But it's all just speculation seeing as no one on here will give an answer as to what's the real story with this cabinet.

Any engineer that's been asked about this cabinet has said the same thing, it's connected to the exchange in Passage, not to the one in cobh. Doesn't make sense running it across the river but they to know what they're talking about. It would explain why it hasn't been upgraded to efibre too, the passage exchange isn't upgraded for the direct fed connections yet whereas the cobh one is.
    But it's all just speculation seeing as no one on here will give an answer as to what's the real story with this cabinet.
    power is now gone to the cabinet today ther was an electrican at it today?

Any update on this Cab this week? Apparantly it's finished and just waiting on Eir to commission it which according to the engineers only takes a few weeks at most. But still on the openeir map as the work not even started.

I'm sorry MackMack

The RBK1_E01 cabinet is scheduled for launch within the next 12 months - I know this is not good news but this really is the best indication we can offer right now.

Thanks
    Al

12 months to commission a cabinet that's finished? Keep up the good work.

12 months to commission a cabinet that's finished? Keep up the good work.
    Sorry MackMack - that's the timeframe involved in this case.

Al

This cab has just changed to build commenced on the openeir map :)

Are we looking at finally getting efibre in the next few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I'll check this with our wholesale department and be back to you on this MackMack :)

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

I'll check this with our wholesale department and be back to you on this MackMack :)

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela,
    Lots of people on this exchange looking for a bit of good news for a change.

Advertisement