Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers and where they end up

• 23-07-2015 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else find it fascinating going through foreign leagues and finding out where players are plying their trade?

I do, and I noticed tonight that Andre Pierre Gignac is lining out for Tigres of Mexico against Internacional of Brazil in the Libertadores. Fine striker that could have moved anywhere in Europe imo, but it's refreshing to see players move to developing leagues at the same time. Though why the Mexican league hasn't progressed further than it has by now is a mystery to many.

Comments

I find the developing and 'non-mainstream' leagues fascinating anyway. I'm not sure why. I'm in china at the moment with the wife and going to a super league match on Saturday featuring her 'local' team Liaoning Whowin. Local in China means a four hour drive btw. I'll keep an eye out for any 'famous' names!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sneijder and galatasaray is one that's always fascinated me, aside from the cash what's actually keeping him there? He could probably still get in the starting 11 of most big European and English clubs always wondered what he's at with Gala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Current joint second top scorers in the Japanese second division, Diego Forlan and Jay Bothroyd! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunei_DPMM_FC

Duli Pengiran Muda Mahkota Football Club (DPMM FC) is a football club based in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.

Manager : Steve Kean :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Sneijder and galatasaray is one that's always fascinated me, aside from the cash what's actually keeping him there? He could probably still get in the starting 11 of most big European and English clubs always wondered what he's at with Gala

You answer your own question, he is there for the cash.
    Most footballers base their career decisions on money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunei_DPMM_FC

Duli Pengiran Muda Mahkota Football Club (DPMM FC) is a football club based in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.

Manager : Steve Kean :D

Former Cork city and one time Irish international Joe Gamble also with them, another ex Cork city player Roy O'Donovan was with them until recently. When Kean brought Gamble over on trial apparently so was Francis Jeffers don't think he was kept though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Andy Keogh finished second top scorercin the A League last season now he's heading to the league in Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Darren O'Dea signed for Mumbai City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Cillian Sheridan (formerly of Celtic and Kilmarnock) just moved from Apoel Nicosia to Omonia in Cyprus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Eamonn Zayed becoming a legend to half of Tehran was pretty surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Most footballers base their career decisions on money

To be fair, Sneijder won the CL and a number of other medals before ending up in Turkey. Came very close to winning the WC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Most footballers people base their career decisions on money

FYP, it's just that some weird fans think players should be held to higher morals than they hold themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where is Franny Jeffers these days?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

In a box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Living in a box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A cardboard box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Another one I remember was Nobby Solano signing a keeper from the lower non leagues in England to play for a Peruvian team he was managing. Poor lad wasn't out a wet week til Nobby got sacked and he had to come home again. Can't remember his name now, he was a youth player at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Another one I remember was Nobby Solano signing a keeper from the lower non leagues in England to play for a Peruvian team he was managing. Poor lad wasn't out a wet week til Nobby got sacked and he had to come home again. Can't remember his name now, he was a youth player at Newcastle.

Mark Cook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cook_(footballer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gudjohnsson is in China I think.

So is Demba Ba, he went two seasons after Chelsea wouldn't sell him to Arsenal. Only 30 too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a footballer but a manager, Sean Connor going from LOI to Zimbabwe.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Damien Duff former player of Blackburn and Chelsea.
    Now with Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Damien Duff former player of Blackburn and Chelsea.
    Now with Shamrock Rovers.

Some would say even less civilised than Zimbabwe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where is Franny Jeffers these days?! :pac:

Think he was on Fantasy Football Club a few months ago saying he was coaching Everton Youths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Current joint second top scorers in the Japanese second division, Diego Forlan and Jay Bothroyd! :D

Forlan has just joined Penarol back in Uruguay. I think Bothroyd played a season at Perugia years ago as well as his journey to Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gosplan wrote: »
    So is Demba Ba, he went two seasons after Chelsea wouldn't sell him to Arsenal. Only 30 too.

Doubt he'll be there for long - still a quality player. Was great for Besiktas last season.

I'd say he's getting a ridiculous wage in China, but would be surprised if he's not bought by one of the bigger European clubs in January who need a striker fix.

Advertisement