Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to long to fix/replace an appliance?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question as above.
    I am moving out of apartment I am in (to a house I am purchasing on 1st August).
    However washing machine isn't working for almost a week...meaning washing for the place is piling up (2 other tenants).

Is there an acceptable timeframe for something like this to be resolved?
    Will the landlord cover washes at a launderette?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When did it stop working? When was the landlord contacted? What was their response?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Landlord goes through a property management company.
    They were contacted last Friday outlining issues.

Since then we have sent more details as requested (Monday) straight away (machine going through cycle but not spinning at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

someone should have been out to you within a couple of days to at least evaluate the problem. it should either be fixed there and then or next day if a part is required. Washing machines are not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The letting agents "usually" have an agreement in place with landlords to just deal with these issues without having to ask for the landlords go-ahead.
    If such an agreement is not in place and the landlord is away on holidays and uncontactable, then it gets awkward for the agent to act.
    However, in a situation like that, someone should have been sent out within a reasonable time frame (5 working days) to see what the problem is.
    Phone the agent and ask what the reason for the delay is and say you will need to use a laundry service by the weekend and you would be expecting the cost to be deducted from the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Just to say I had the same problem last week with my washing machine. My letting agent asked me to take off the panel at the bottom, on the front and unscrew the cap. (I didn;t even know tghis existed but I found it) She said a lot of the time it needs draining as is blocked by something. Anyway i did that and it did need draining although that didn;t fix the problem for me but it might work for you.

My machine was back up and running on Tuesday when I got home. She a guy come to look at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement