Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Electricals where to buy?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am due to get keys to house next Friday.

Which means a bit of a dash around shops to get electrical items.
    I need somewhere that will do same day/next day delivery (Have only small car).

Anyone any recommendations?

I was considering DID and Power City in Blanch?
    Will they likely give me a discount if I buy everything there?
    I am going to need
    - Oven
    - Fridge Freezer
    - Washing machine/dryer
    - Microwave

Based in Dublin 8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Only way to find out really is to try all of them.

Sometimes the smaller independents / Expert retailers can be surprisingly good value too.

They all do delivery fairly fast, but it's rarely same day.

Also depending on what you order it may come from stock or from the manufacturers' warehouse directly. A lot of them don't keep everything in inventory anymore and will just send an order to the supplier.

Harvey Norman in my experience is fastest with delivery as they've actual local warehouses.

In general if you want something there and then it will be a limited choice and only certain retailers. Normally you'd need to allow 2 or 3 days for most major appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you not go and order the stuff this weekend and ask for it to be delivered next Friday? They are used to people being in this situation so should be able to accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lux23 wrote: »
    Would you not go and order the stuff this weekend and ask for it to be delivered next Friday? They are used to people being in this situation so should be able to accommodate you.
    I would be tempted to do that but might have a few problems if I don't get keys on the Friday?
    Plus thinking about it....I need to get in and measure the space to see if things fit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

From experience power city are the best and they do offer discounts, just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

When I fitted out my apartment I bought everything from did and the gave a bulk discount. Even thought I have a voucher that I needed to use with them so had no option. I found their prices were the same as other for the items I was buying.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Powercity are good and actually hold stock, unlike many of the others. Went to did in blanch to buy cooker for my mother, told it would be 2 weeks, charge for delivery and no discount, despite dropping almost €1k

Up to powercity in blanch, have the cooker in stock, in white, can take on the spot or delivery the next day. It was about €100 cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I'd go with Power City, though do your research online first as DID are presently advertising their ''biggest summer sale EVER'' !! Power City are advertising ''summer savings'' so make of it what you will.

If & when you visit Power City make sure that you get the online price for the items as sometimes the instore prices are higher, so bear that in mind.

If you're buying all three bigger items on your list you may be able to get a discount - no harm in pushing for one anyway.

You could get printed quotes from Power City & then go to DID & see if they'll price match or go lower. No harm in trying as when buying a new house every penny counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The DID sale is a joke, same old rip off prices on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Power city all the way...............I fitted my kitchen with all appliances from Power city 3 yrs ago and got a 10% discount. Just ask :) I used Power city in Fonthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Power city and HN will normally knock something off though HN can be dearer in a lot of cases.
    Shop around. Use the internet and then go in and haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gmisk wrote: »
    Will they likely give me a discount if I buy everything there?

Its worth asking. Powercity have knocked amounts - not huge, but they were cheapest anyway - off my last two dearer purchases (one two items approaching 700, one 1 item over 300). The first one I was given without asking actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

When we upgraded our kitchen a few years ago we did the rounds of suppliers. Found Powercity the best to deal with and they gave us about 10% discount on the lot. We found Hardley Normal to be more expensive than both Powercity and DID even with their "Biggest / Best / Limited Time / This weekend only" sales that seem to never end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Obelisk29 wrote: »
    When we upgraded our kitchen a few years ago we did the rounds of suppliers. Found Powercity the best to deal with and they gave us about 10% discount on the lot. We found Hardley Normal to be more expensive than both Powercity and DID even with their "Biggest / Best / Limited Time / This weekend only" sales that seem to never end!

Harvey Norman gives discounts if you push them even on single items

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

MAJJ wrote: »
    Harvey Norman gives discounts if you push them even on single items

That's good to know. Boomy Von Boom Boom's adverts mean I've never bought anything in Hardly Normal but the frigging refrigerator purchased 2 years ago from Curry's and installed by their people complete with all the polystyrene packaging in back has put me off them for ever. It bellows half the time and burps almost constantly. It also vomits ice and water from the base of the frost free freezer on occasion causing a lovely skating rink in the kitchen.

DID (Stillorgan) is expensive and their salespeople are more interested in their phones and appliances than paying customers. That's particularly annoying when products aren't priced. I'll need a new washer, dishwasher and fridge-freezer soon so keep the info flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Dubl07 wrote: »
    That's good to know. Boomy Von Boom Boom's adverts mean I've never bought anything in Hardly Normal but the frigging refrigerator purchased 2 years ago from Curry's and installed by their people complete with all the polystyrene packaging in back has put me off them for ever. It bellows half the time and burps almost constantly. It also vomits ice and water from the base of the frost free freezer on occasion causing a lovely skating rink in the kitchen.

DID (Stillorgan) is expensive and their salespeople are more interested in their phones and appliances than paying customers. That's particularly annoying when products aren't priced. I'll need a new washer, dishwasher and fridge-freezer soon so keep the info flowing.

Yes i bought from harvey Norman a few years back I was real reluctant and very sceptical but much to my surprise they were really good on price and service. Have gone back for few things since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Be sure to check online, I had a very good experience with Dalzells when I needed a specific item, was paid for on delivery as well:
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com/

Got a lot of stuff via www.appliancesdirect.co.uk as well, http://www.in-house.ie/ have a place down near Sallynoggin that could be good to check.

Also be aware of your price range, Beko/Hoover are usually bottom of the pile quality wise, and will work it's way up to Neff/Miele etc, lots of no-name brands about as well. The high end stuff is usually fairly set in price with little variation unless it's an end of line item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Can't re commend DID in lucan highly enough. Amazing after care service if you need it in my experience. We only buy Bosch now as although a bit more expensive sometimes the quality it really high in white goods. Have a frequently uses washing machine 11 years now, never broke down in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

We got almost everything in HN, no powercity in Cork.

Watch them like a hawk tho. Pick your models in advance and note the internet price. When you ask about an item have your phone out and they'll correct the price there and then muttering that 'the lads forgot to update the in store price'

Same day you can forget with them for fridges in most cases. Either be prepared to have a van or get in now and order one.

Nothing will go perfectly tho generally speaking. So just move in, enjoy the excuse for takeaways for a few nights. We've all camped in a new house for a few days at one point or another :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Another vote for Powercity. I have bought practically everything electrical there for more than 20 years. I always compare prices and they come up trumps and give discounts, particularly for multiple purchases.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I rang them both told them what I wanted and asked for a best price,I saved about 300 euro on their list prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find out what makes, models, colours and sizes you want. Type up a list. Phone each of the retailers and say you are fitting out a property and want to buy a list of white goods. Say that you want to deal with one supplier, you want delivery, removal of old appliances and packaging. State delivery dates / time options (I'm not sure if they deliver at the weekend / evening). Indicate how you want to pay (cash / debit card may get you a better deal than credit card). Ask for an email address and email them the list.

Finally, do you need the cooker wired properly?

I had a look this weekend in blanchardstown in DID and Power City.
    Found the prices and the staff a lot better in Power City, so will likely go with them.
    Need to go to house to get measurements to see what space I have before ordering though!

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

check out http://pricespy.ie/ too by the way. Very handy site.
    While you might get a discount if you bulk order a few things from the same shop its still worth checking all of them. Sometimes you might get a surprising deal from somewhere you wouldn't expect. Just don't forget to factor in delivery cost if its a large item as its unlikely to be free.

I had a look this weekend in blanchardstown in DID and Power City.
    Found the prices and the staff a lot better in Power City, so will likely go with them.
    Need to go to house to get measurements to see what space I have before ordering though!

Thanks again for all the advice.
    Just another quick question, what would people expect as a discount percentage?
    e.g. total spend 1000 euro would you be expecting 5%? or 10%? or more if all purchased in same place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

e.g. total spend 1000 euro would you be expecting 5%? or 10%? or more if all purchased in same place?

I wouldn't expect much on a grand, I normally count myself lucky if I get it at the online price. The margin on electrical isn't bad but it's not huge. It really depends if you're buying something with good margin (luxury end) or not.

Do loads of research and look at reviews online. You'll live for a week or so without stuff and the time spent pays dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭InvisibleWoman

Try Blaze House in Glasnevin (near the cemetery, after Woodies) - they have a lot of a 'seconds' and ends of line - we got a few things from there as we were on a tight budget. We also played PowerCity and Harvey Norman off against each other, and finally ended up with Harvey Norman. You will need to ride them on the delivery date - they missed one of mine, and left a friend sleeping on the floor for the weekend after her bedroom furniture wasn't delivered on time.

PS Congrats on the house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I found with HN its easier to get a discount when you are chatting to an older/more senior member of staff. The younger staff, in my experience, don't seem too bothered. I got about 15% off (20 on some things) when I kitted out my house 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Victor's given really good practical advice - the only thing I'd add is that it is worth having a little flexibility on makes and models for the best deal. But do the research before you take a shop's suggestions and don't get panicked into a split second decision.

2 other places you could add:
    https://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/
    I've dealt with them in the past and am happy to recommend.

and GasElectric on Camden street who can have really good deals on shop-soiled / ex-display models at significant discounts. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have a useful website so you'd have to call in to see what's on hand. They often do next day delivery.

Everyone should take away any old appliances for free since you'll be paying the WEEE levy, but if anything needs to be disconnected you should check if they'll include that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Power City, the best in terms of price and service! I have fitted out numerous properties over the years. A pleasure to do business with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement