Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Balancing Act

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Wednesday is deadlift day and we are into the 5 week of the cycle.

2*8 - 85kg - 5* 112.5kg - 5* 127.5kg - 6* 147.5kg
    Felt ok in these, not great but not bad either.

WOD 1:
    4 RFT
    15 ABMAT Sit ups
    15 Toes to bar.
    TIME: 9.05
    An abdominal beating that was. Im yet to figure out how to recycle the toes to bar yet but its coming.

WOD2:
    21-15-9
    Calorie Row
    Hand release Press Ups
    TIME: 4.05

Il train tonight and then see where I am for the weekend. Hands are beat up right now.

last night was gymnastics class. To be honest Im useless at all this stuff but I love it. A 6'7 dude trying handstands must be fairly hilarious for others aswel.

Nearly nailed my first handstand push up. Cant get past that sticking point yet. Think I might start an O/H press cycle to build strength in my shoulders.

Did a quick WOD after class.
    21-15-9
    Calories on Ski Erg (really cool machine)
    Wall Balls
    TIME: 4.23

Off home for the weekend. Im guessing there will be a mix of training, soccer game sunday and a few pints in between.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    last night was gymnastics class. To be honest Im useless at all this stuff but I love it. A 6'7 dude trying handstands must be fairly hilarious for others aswel.

Mostly the bit where you're mincing around with a ribbon on a stick :)

Mostly the bit where you're mincing around with a ribbon on a stick :)

Pure majestic with the ribbon on the stick I am :pac:

Trained twice at home on Saturday. The crossfit box allowed me to jump in with them for a session on Saturday morning which was cool.

Really tough and long workout.
    Teams of 3: 2 people working at a time.
    100 Burpees
    100 Thrusters 40kg
    100 Hand Release Push ups
    100 sits ups
    100 Shoulder to overhead 40kg
    100 box jumps
    1km run to finish.
    Time: 25.40

Then later on worked on max snatch.
    Worked up to a new PR of 52.5kg. Delighted with that :)

Then the WOD 'HELEN'
    3 RFT:
    400m run
    21 American KB swings
    12 Pull ups
    TIME 10.08. - Happy with this.

All this combined with having aguero captain in my fantasy league made Saturday a good day.

Played a soccer game Sunday. Landed really badly on my hand. Pretty worried about it tbh. Havent had a chance to go to A + E and don't really know much about how to go about this in Dublin. Will have to look into it today.

Would be devastating if it was a bad injury.:(

• Advertisement

Go to a doctor and they'll refer you. If you just show up at A&E, you'll be hit with a €100 charge.

Cheers Alf was just informed this aswel. Im not registered with a doctor up here so I will prob have to find a walk in. Might give it another day and hope it was just a bad bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

http://www.mater.ie/patients/emergency-services/smithfield/

Try these guys. Have used them a couple of times. Excellent service, not long of a waiting time. They are part of the Mater as well so can link in with them if further investigation/physio is needed. Initial cost is 100. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

ninamc wrote: »
    http://www.mater.ie/patients/emergency-services/smithfield/

Try these guys. Have used them a couple of times. Excellent service, not long of a waiting time. They are part of the Mater as well so can link in with them if further investigation/physio is needed. Initial cost is 100. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Thanks a million. Gonna leave it a day I think. Swelling has come down a lot. Gonna ice it again tonight and rest it.

Every day may just have to be leg day for a week or two :)

I do find that with Camogie I pick up an awful lot of injuries to the hands and fingers. I'd really want to feel like something was broken now before I get it looked at. Ice and a strapping usually do the trick alright :)

• Advertisement

I do find that with Camogie I pick up an awful lot of injuries to the hands and fingers. I'd really want to feel like something was broken now before I get it looked at. Ice and a strapping usually do the trick alright :)

Ya that's the way I am too. Ive broken way too many bones in my time already so ive become pretty good at knowing. Im pretty sure its not broken. Gonna go gym tonight. I still think it will be a week or two before I get the power back in my hand even if its not broken so ill have to come up with something to do.

I went to the gym last night. Didn't do a whole lot but Im happy I went.

Did some squats with the safety bar (pretty much no use of hands) and my god is that tough.
    8*50kg - 8*60kg - 5*75kg - 5*82.5kg - 5*87.5kg - 8*70kg

WOD
    21-15-9
    Assault bike calories (pushing with all legs)
    Alternating lunges
    ABMAT sit ups
    TIME: 6.37

Left it at that. Did a lot of mobility throughout. Hand is still quite sore. Will give it til the weekend.

I really am limited in the gym but trying to make the best of the situation.

Didn't wanna do squats wit the safety bar again so I went to work on power and explosiveness .
    5*10 Weighted Box Jumps (+20lbs) - These got extremely tough at the end.

WOD:
    10 Min AMRAP:
    400m Run
    10 Box Jumps
    20 Air Squats
    ROUNDS: 3

Also worked a good bit on progressing my pistol squats, which I cannot do what soever.

Happy enough with the work Im getting done considering. Feeling a bit more confident about the hand. :)

Hit the gym last night again.

Safety bar pause squats (3 second hold):
    8*50kg - 8*60kk - 5*72.5kg - 5*77.5kg - 5*82.5kg - 5*87.5kg
    Last set was as tough of a set as Ive ever done. Don't do a lot of pause squats but these felt good.

WOD:
    21-15-9
    ABMAT sit ups
    Goblet squats (holding 25lbs ball)
    Box jump step overs (using same ball)
    TIME: 7.37

Absolute leg burner of a session. Gonna take tonight off.

Hand is very bruised and yellow at the moment which I actually think is good sign. Means it was just a very bad bang I am sure. Grip is coming back slowly aswel.

Got to the gym Saturday before Saturday nights antics.

Obviously my sessions have been leg heavy but I don't think I am overdoing it. Did an early morning session and an afternoon session

Front Squats:
    8*50kg - 8*60kg - 5*75kg - 5*82.5kg - 5*85kg

WOD:
    21-15-9
    GHD Sit ups (first time doing these and just no)
    Goblets squats with 25lbs ball
    Box jumps
    TIME: 8.34

In the afternoon me and my mate did a 5k weighted run with the 20lbs vest. This didn't get me in the lungs at all. Breathing felt fine but the legs were dead after.

Came in at 26.42 which I am delighted with. Haven't tested my 5k but ive signed up for park run so will do that some Saturday mornings. Believe I can get in under 20 mins.

Came in at 26.42 which I am delighted with. Haven't tested my 5k but ive signed up for park run so will do that some Saturday mornings. Believe I can get in under 20 mins.

That's a really good time to run 5k with a 20lb vest!

That's a really good time to run 5k with a 20lb vest!

Cheers alf. I wasn't expecting that fast to be honest would have been happy with sub 30 mins. I can honestly say I don't think I could have went any faster.:)

Cheers alf. I wasn't expecting that fast to be honest would have been happy with sub 30 mins. I can honestly say I don't think I could have went any faster.:)

I wouldn't do weighted vest running too often though. The extra downward force just increases the likelihood of injury

I wouldn't do weighted vest running too often though. The extra downward force just increases the likelihood of injury

Ya I had a long talk with the coach about the whole thing before hand and he advised the same. I hadnt planned for it to become a regular thing anyways. Just wanted to see where I was at.

Was not in the frame of mind for the gym last night at all but I dragged myself there in the end.

Still no grip strength in my hand but I can let things rest on my palm which is good.

Back Squats (Wendler 5 3 1)
    2*8 * 60kg - 5*87.5kg - 3*97.5kg - 3*107.5kg
    Happy with how they felt.

WOD was such a slog and tbh I hated it.
    10 RFT:
    3 Front Squats 55kg
    10 Burpees
    TIME: 14.29

Might rest tonight. Will call it later.

• Advertisement

Got a decent session in last night - feeling sore today.

Minute on minute off push ups to keep the upper body ticking over. (5 Rounds)
    27 - 18 - 16 - 13 - 12
    My push ups are pathetic. Im gonna start doing this more often. Its one of the only upper body movements I can do at the moment.

Good mornings:
    2*8 * 40kg - 3*8 * 60kg - 1*8 * 70kg.
    Don't do these enough.

Some resisted sprint work.
    EMOM 7 mins
    10 seconds up and 10 seconds back - 40 seconds rest.
    Nearly got sick after this.

15 mins working on double unders
    New PR of unbroken DU's - 35 :)

Gonna train the next few days and work on my flaws. Pistols, DU's and Push ups.

Im kinda enjoying these sessions that Im doing. I love doing the classes and all but some days its good to just work on your flaws and weaknesses.

Minute on minute off push ups to keep the upper body ticking over. (5 Rounds)
    28 - 19 - 17 - 13 - 14
    My friend came over for the last set and encouraged me so I ended up beating my last minute score. Need to push myself harder.

Worked on pistols
    5*5 each leg with the band. These are tough.

15 mins on DU's
    New PR of 43 unbroken - Im chasing the triple digits before xmas now :)

WOD:
    30-20-10
    Goblet Squats with the 25lbs Ball
    ABMAT Sit Ups
    Burpees
    TIME: 12.00
    Nasty....

Rested Friday which was well needed.

Did a long days training on Saturday. Started with my first Park Run in Marlay Park. Beautiful morning for a run. Came in at 21.13 and since it was my first its technically a PB. I think I will aim to do one or two of these a month. Kinda wish I started earlier in the summer.

Got to the gym then.
    Lunges with barbell on back:
    3*8 * 40kg. Working on explosiveness.

Long chipper WOD:
    20 Reps of the following with a 200m in between each.
    Med Ball Cleans 30lbs
    Wall balls 20lbs
    Ring Dips
    ABMAT sit ups
    Ring rows
    Push ups
    20 cal row
    20 burpess.
    TIME: 19.45

Strictly core WOD:
    21-15-9
    ABMAT sit ups
    Plank up-downs.
    TIME: 3.33

Great days training. Rested Sunday. Hand is nearly back to full go. :)

Deload week again with the squats. Defo feeling stronger with these in the lower weight/higher rep range so hopefully I can get close to my PR in the next testing and maybe out pass it by Xmas.

Back Squats:
    2*8 * 72.5kg - 2*5 *72.5kg - 5*87.5kg

WOD:
    7 min AMRAP of Burpees (who even thought of this)
    Total Burpess - 90.
    Wanted to break 100 so disappointed with this. My height sets me at a disadvantage but I really want to get better at these. But I don't know how.

Minute on minute off push ups (5 rounds)
    30-21-19-17-16.
    These are getting better already.

Got to the gym last night but didn't do much tbh.

Worked on DU's for about 20 mins. Need to use my wrist more instead of my forearms to move the rope as I am fatiguing way too fast.

Back able to do pull ups now worked on these aswel. 5*2 for the moment.

WOD:
    12-9-6-3
    Med Ball C+J 30lbs
    Deadlift @60kg
    TIME: 5.20

Im able to do all pulling movement now again. Pressing movements with the barbell still cause quite a bit of pain in my hand so will give them another few days.

Been away for a few days so didn't get a chance to post in here.

Friday:
    Trained Friday lunch time as I was off work.
    Bench Press
    5*60kg - 5*70kg - 5*80kg - 5*85kg - 5*90kg - Happy with that.

8 min EMOM:
    1 Power clean + 2 Push Press - 60kg.
    Good session.

Took Saturday and Sunday off.

Monday
    Went to the local gym and did a chest session.
    Nothing crazy just keeping things ticking over.

Tuesday
    It is testing week :)
    Back squat - Matched my old PB of 130kg which I am very happy with. Felt good and prob could of went a few kg up if I had time.

Chipper WOD
    50 Air Squats
    20 ABMAT sit ups
    300m RUN
    20 Box Jumps
    10 Box Jumps overs
    TIME: 4.08

Sore today.

Was buzzing to get to the gym last night after work. Testing my deadlift is something I was looking forward to doing.

Hit a new PR or 190kg. It was a bit sloppy to be honest but aren't all PR's really? :) I honestly never imagined myself hitting these kinda numbers on the DL. During testing for GAA in April I couldn't pull 140kg. Im delighted that the hard work has paid off.

WOD:
    10 min AMRAP
    10 KB swings
    50 Double Unders
    ROUNDS: 5

Gonna rest tonight - legs are beat right now.

That's a HUGE difference in 6 months. Well done :)

How you getting on with the DU's? I bought a skipping rope to practise at home. Really want to get them nailed before the New Year.

That's a HUGE difference in 6 months. Well done :)

How you getting on with the DU's? I bought a skipping rope to practise at home. Really want to get them nailed before the New Year.

Thanks :) I really don't know how Ive got such a jump but im delighted.

Ya the DU's are pretty nailed on now. Ive got the technique its just building stamina is the problem. I do be wrecked after 20/25. Can string 40/50 together now on a really good day. Just practice every day. Work on keeping your jump consistent every time and work on your hand speed.

• Advertisement

Did a few good sessions over the weekend.

Friday was testing strict press. Managed to get a new PR of 70kg. Very happy with this. Last time out it was 62.5kg.

WOD:
    3 rft
    20 Wall balls 20lbs
    300m wall ball carry
    TIME: 8.10
    Wanted to break 8 mins but what can ya do.

Also tested my bench. Still at 100kg. Missed 105kg twice :(

Saturday morning we worked on hang power cleans. Still a bit wary of my hand which is sore sometimes when catching a clean or a snatch but worked up to 85kg.

WOD - Partner
    3rft
    300m run each
    30 KB swings each 24kg
    30 Box overs with KB
    TIME: 18.34
    This was a slog.

Back at it tonight with a new cycle. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement