Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Balancing Act

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Just out of curiosity, do you notice gym work paying off on the pitch in terms of strength? As in is it obvious to you?

Absolutely. The way GAA has gone and especially football (blanket defences, full time S&C coaches with bigger clubs etc) you have to be well on top of your gym work. Some midfielders that Im coming up against are big strong lads and I finally feel like I can hold my own against any of them. This has boosted my confidence big time. Having neglected gym work in the past as a college student I can defo see the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Absolutely. The way GAA has gone and especially football (blanket defences, full time S&C coaches with bigger clubs etc) you have to be well on top of your gym work. Some midfielders that Im coming up against are big strong lads and I finally feel like I can hold my own against any of them. This has boosted my confidence big time. Having neglected gym work in the past as a college student I can defo see the benefits.

Nice one. I thought it had definitely helped me at sawwwker but then I wondered if I was just thinking that because I thought it should be a benefit...if that makes sense

Nice one. I thought it had definitely helped me at sawwwker but then I wondered if I was just thinking that because I thought it should be a benefit...if that makes sense

Ya it makes plenty of sense and the mental side is probably half the battle. Its like hey if I can bench 100kg and this guy only weighs 90/95kg then he has no chance. :pac: but seriously, my speed is up, I can jump higher and also the rowing intervals help with the conditioning.

Got a decent session in last night. Had planned on doing more but it took all my willpower to not skip the gym and go lie in a park somewhere.

A) Back Squat 5*75kg - 5*85kg - 10*87.5Kg - 10*87.5Kg - 87.5kg AMRAP (12)
    B) Plyo Squat Jumps 5*8 BW +10kg
    C) Leg extensions - 75kg - 5*8

Gym got super packed

D) Chins 6,6,5,5,4
    E) Russian Twists 3*20
    F) Sit ups 3*20

Feel like I need to add in a daily core routine. Even if it be 5-7 mins daily I feel like it will help. Will get bench done tonight before GAA training. Training will be light (I hope)

Got a quick session in last night before training. Gym was packed again even in the weather. People realising summer is coming :pac:

A) BB Bench - 5*55kg - 5*65kg - 70kg*2*10 - 70kg AMRAP (12)
    B) Cable Flies 12.5kg 5*8
    C) Dips - BW * 5*8
    D) OHP - 40kg *2*5 - 45kg *3*10

Was meant to do incline bench but ran out of time. GAA training was tough. Serious lack of energy this morning and really struggled getting out of bed so I am going to rest up tonight.

• Advertisement

Felt a lot better after the rest day. Got caught in work so missed GAA training. Was tempted to go to the pitch on my own for a bit but decided on going to the gym.

A) Deadlift - 5*105kg - 5*115kg - 3*10*125kg
    B) Face pulls - 5*8*23kg
    C) Tricep pull down - 5*8*23kg
    D) Seated row - 5*8*73kg
    E) Pull ups - 3*5 BW (lats were ****ed at this stage)

C2 Rower - 30 secs on 30 secs off for 10 mins - Total Meters - 2470

Rest today - Train tomorrow morning and enjoy my weekend after that. :)

Managed to get two sessions in over the weekend. Fairly happy with both. Didn't over indulge too much on Saturday so felt able to train on Sunday which is a plus.

Saturday
    A) Back Squat - 5*75kg - 5*85kg - 3*90kg - 100kg AMRAP (11)
    B) Front Squat - 5*3*90kg
    C) Leg extensions 5*8
    D) Plyo Squat Jumps 4*12

Sunday
    A) BB Bench - 5*55kg - 5*65kg - 3*70kg - 80kg AMRAP (11)
    B) Incline Bench (Smith machine) 5*6*55kg
    C) Curls 5*10*25kg
    D) Cable Flies 5*8*12.5kg
    E) OHP 5*5*45kg

Good weekend. Working today so will try get to the gym after. May just rest though. Will call it later.

Did a quick session on Monday. Nothing major at all just wanted to get the deadlifts done. GAA training last night and will hopefully get to the gym tonight.

A) Deadlifts - 5*105kg - 5*120kg - 10*135kg
    B) Snatch Grip Deadlifts 5*8*75kg
    C) Bent over rows 5*6*75kg

Left it at that. Feeling good overall.

Got to the gym last night after a good day and a half of rest after the game Friday. Nothing major at all just something to keep me going.

A) Bench 4*8*75kg - 70kg AMRAP (10)
    B) OHP 5*6*45kg - Feeling pretty weak here. A lot to work on.
    C) Paused Incline Smith Machine - 5*6* 55kg
    D) Cable flies 5*10

Tweaked something in my chest and its kinda sore today. Not sure what happened to be honest. Have a cup semi final Friday so will monitor it the next few days. Tempted to go to the gym at lunch for leg day. Defo not missing the Ireland game. :D

Gym sessions have been pretty short these days. Motivation is low for some unknown reason tbh and my body is just not at 100% at the moment so not doing a whole lot.

A) Back Squat - 4*8*90kg - 87.5kg AMRAP (10)
    B) Light RDL's 5*8
    C,D,E) Bunch of Arm stuff as legs felt wobbly.

Slept really well last night and diet is good so feeling refreshed today so hopefully tonight will get me back on track. 3 big games in 7 days starting on Saturday so balance is key this week.

• Advertisement

Finally got a solid session in last night. The sleep the night before really had me feeling fresh.

A) DL 5*8*125kg
    B) Snatch grip DL 5*3*85kg
    C) Pull ups 5*5
    D) T BAR 5*8*40kg (need to increase weight here)
    E) Face pulls superset with tricep pull down - 5*8*25kg

Conditioning 5*500m intervals with 90 sec rest
    1:40.9
    1:42.4
    1:42.9
    1:44.1
    1:44.2

Gonna get bench done before GAA training tonight. Training will be light. Will rest tomorrow.

So had a good weekend of training.

We won our Semi on Saturday.

Sunday:

A) Bench 4*8*75kg - 70kg AMRAP (10)
    B) OHP 5*6*40kg
    C) Paused Incline Smith Machine - 5*6* 60kg
    D) Dips 5*8 *BW+10kg
    E) DB Bench Press 4*12*17.5kg

Good session. Bench is feeling strong. Still have a little niggle in my chest but its not causing much problems.

Monday:

A) Back Squat - 3*75kg - 3*85kg - 2*8*100kg - 100kg AMRAP (8)
    B) Front Squat - 5*2*90kg
    C) Leg extensions 5*8
    D) Plyo Squat Jumps 4*8 +10kg Plate

Conditioning: 7*500m with 90 secs rest
    All under 1:45
    Rowing is feeling good. Might drop the time down to below 1:40.

Rest tonight. Another big game tomorrow. Yes tomorrow...during the Ireland game... (love the GAA)

Had a tough week last week with two games in 4 days so decided not to train in-between. We won both games :) but I do tend to get a few little knocks here and there which are annoying. Finally felt ok to get back in the gym last night.

A) Bench 5*5*85kg
    B) Paused Incline Smith Machine - 5*6* 60kg
    C) Cable Flies 4*12
    D) Pull Ups 5*5
    E) Ez Bar Curls 5*10*25kg

Conditioning:
    5*500m with 90 secs rest.

Felt good. GAA training tonight. Might go gym before hand.

So I ended up taking most of the weekend off. Just felt like I needed a break and I feel great after it. Another big game on Saturday so all roads lead to that.

Sunday:

A) DL 2*3*115kg - 3*8*135kg
    B) Snatch grip DL 5*5*85kg
    C) Pull ups 5*5
    D) Seated row 5*8*66kg

Monday:

Did a bit of a mixed session.

A) Bench 5*5*85kg
    B) Back Squat - Built up to 3*8*100kg
    C) Cable Flies 4*12
    D) Leg press 5*8*100kg
    E) Dips - 5*6* BW + 15kg

Will get a session in before GAA training tonight. Oh and I hit the 17 stone mark. Haven't been trying to gain weight but I have been eating a lot due to the amount of training I am doing. Still feel and look as lean as ever so pretty happy about that.

Got a quick session in last night. Decided not to train before GAA training on Tuesday. So went up early to practice shooting.

A) T-Bar - worked up to 5*5 * 55kg
    B) Face pulls - 5*8*32kg
    C) Tricep pull down - 5*8*32kg
    D) Bent over row DB - 5*8*22.5kg
    E) Upright row - 5*8*30kg

Feeling a lot better these days. Rest is so key. I always feel a bit guilty on rest days as I feel like I should be doing something but I'm finally coming around. :pac:

Tonights GAA session will be light so I will get to the gym before hand.

Was off work yesterday so got a good session in. Completely forgot about the lunchtime crowd but got it done anyways. Racks are always free at Flyefit baggot street for some reason.

A) Back Squat - 5*75kg - 3*85kg - 2*95kg - 107.5kg AMRAP (8)
    B) KB lunges - 14kg each arm - 6 each leg
    C) Leg extensions 5*8*70kg
    D) Plyo Squat Jumps 4*8 +15kg Plate
    E) RDL's with KB - 14kg each arm - 5*8

Conditioning
    5*500
    All under 1:39 was the aim
    1:36.7
    1:37.2
    1:38.1
    1:38.1
    1:37.7
    :)

Feeling good here. Will maybe reduce it to 1:38 or add another round next time. Adding another round will prob be more beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Feeling good here. Will maybe reduce it to 1:38 or add another round next time. Adding another round will prob be more beneficial.

Reducing the rests as well.

Bring a sick bag for that though :)

Reducing the rests as well.

Bring a sick bag for that though :)

I actually came close on my last round yesterday. :pac:

Forgot to post my Wednesday session, which was a good one. Gym was outrageously packed. Everyone chasing them summer gains before holidays. Got it done regardless. Baggot street is great for doing compound lifts as no one touches the racks. :) well compared to other gyms ive been at.

Anyways..

A) Bench 5*65kg - 3*75kg - 3*85kg - 87.5kg AMRAP (6) :mad: Didn't take enough rest. Wanted 8.
    B) OHP 5*3*45kg - Felt ok here.
    C) Incline Smith Machine - 5*5* 60kg
    D) Cable flies 3*10
    E) Dips 5*6 +20kg - Feeling really strong here.
    F) Tricep pulldowns - 5*8

Gonna train tonight and in the morning and take the rest of the weekend off.

Forgot to post my last session so here it goes. Not the greatest sessions ive done to be honest. Big week for us in the GAA if we could get two wins we would be well on our way. Staying fresh for these games is vital.

Friday:

A) DL 2*3*115kg - 6 singles*155kg (Really poor here and I don't know why. Struggled with the singles.) :mad:
    B) Bent Over rows - 5*8*65kg
    C) Pull ups 5*5
    D) Seated row 5*8*66kg

Monday:
    A) Back Squat - 5*75kg - 5*85kg - 5*95kg - 2*5*110kg
    B) DB lunges - 14kg each arm - 8 each leg
    C) Light RDL's - 5*8

Nearly combusted in the gym last night. I planned on doing more but I literally could not stop sweating. The gym was a sauna. :pac:

GAA training and match tomorrow so really don't know where my gym sessions will come from this week but not to worry.

• Advertisement

Ok so ive had a bad few weeks. Not for training, in fact ive had a good few weeks for training. Just for posting.

I was off work and I usually post first thing in the morning when I come into work so just forgot really.

Only two things to note
    1) I now have a 140kg squat. Felt really good putting on those three plates :)
    2) Gaa team is now top of the league with three games to go.

Last night went as follows.

A) Bench 5*5*87.5kg
    B) OHP 5*8*45kg
    C) Dips 5*8 BW - Probably should have added weight.
    D) Cable flies 3*10
    E) Tricep pulldowns - 5*8
    F) Single arm OHP with the T Bar (if that makes any sense whatsoever :pac:) 5*8

Get in tonight for some back. Legs are crocked at the moment from GAA training. Fats and Fitness test on Sunday.

Got a decent session in Friday. Legs weren't feeling great after two tough GAA session so I left the deadlifts out.

A) T Bar - 5*8 *45kg
    B) Upright Rows 5*8*35kg
    C) Pull ups 5*5
    D) Seated row 5*8*66kg

Had a fitness test and my fats taken on Sunday. Pretty disappointed with the fats results but hoping to rectify it over the next few weeks. I know I indulged a good bit over the last two weeks as we had a break in games but wasn't expecting as bad.

Anyways I wont dwell on it my fitness was up so that's all that matters really. Back in the gym tonight.

Decided to start the week with pull/deadlift day as I knew Tuesdays GAA session would be tough on the legs. I have gone back again on my deadlifts as Ive never been happy with my technique but I finally feel like im happy with my set up and lift.

Monday:

A) Deadlift 3*5*125kg
    B) Snatch Grip DL - 4*6*85kg
    C) Pull ups 5 Sets to failure with 90 secs rest - 8,5,4,3,3 :mad:
    D) Upright rows - 5*8*35kg
    E) Face pulls 5*8*25kg
    F) EZ Bar Curls 5*8*25kg

Might go for a full body workout as I have a game tomorrow and don't wanna overdo tonight.

Advertisement