Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish license to US license

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the Irish license transfers to a US one? I'll be heading out there long term so I'll need a US one.

I have bike, car, rigid lorry. Will all of these transfer, or will I need to start them all over again?

If it makes a difference, and I think it might, it'll be Tx I'm heading to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

kiddums wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Irish license transfers to a US one? I'll be heading out there long term so I'll need a US one.

I have bike, car, rigid lorry. Will all of these transfer, or will I need to start them all over again?

If it makes a difference, and I think it might, it'll be Tx I'm heading to.

There is no licence swap with any state in the US that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I don't even mean a straight transfer.
    I though some states would let you go straight to the test with the Irish License? Or am I mistaken?

Just trying to sort out as much as I can before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Each state is different, there is no Us license.

In California I had to do a written test then a fifteen minute practical. There are no license swaps, so you'll be treated as a new applicant. Fortunate there aren't as many restrictions with new drivers. You'll be able to drive on your Irish one while waiting on the written test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Applicants who have a driver license from any country other than the U.S., Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan must take and pass both the knowledge and driving skills tests.
    How to apply for a Texas driver license

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Driving tests in US are very easy to pass.....its not like in Ireland. I passed first time in IL without even taking a lesson

Remember, you'll be driving an automatic on wide well marked streets. No pesky hill starts or reversing around a corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If you give up your Irish license you'd have to go through the hassle of getting it back again.

Americans cant drive for sh*t, and they dont care much about driving tests. Ive taken tests in two US states and it takes a few hours and little preperation. If you can maneuver your vehicle around the block without hitting any other vehicles you'll pass the practical, and the written is a basic multiple choice thats more about testing your knowledge of english.

Seriously.

And texas is well know for being lax about most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thanks Folks. I was getting confused looking this up myself.

So I can use my Irish License for 90 days, and do the US tests in that time frame and I'm sweet?

Does that apply to the trucks and bikes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

kiddums wrote: »
    Thanks Folks. I was getting confused looking this up myself.

So I can use my Irish License for 90 days, and do the US tests in that time frame and I'm sweet?

Does that apply to the trucks and bikes too?

I've been using my Irish license in CA since last September.

Getting a CA license is on my to-do list but I've been putting it on the long finger as it'll mean a half day sitting in the DMV.

My insurance (Geico) has no issue with my Irish license though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

What state are you moving too? Check the state DMV website for what paperwork you’ll need to bring with you, sometimes there is an application you can download and fill out before you get there.

As difficult as it is to obtain an Irish license I certainly wouldn’t surrender it to the State DMV office.

You will have to take a motorcycle rider safety class to obtain your motorcycle license, and the same with a Commercial “Lori” license.

As far as driving a motorcycle with an Irish equivalent license you would probably be OK, but exercising the use of your commercial license could be problematic depending on the cop that pulls you over

My insurance (Geico) has no issue with my Irish license though.

Thats dangerous thinking. Its legal for 90 days i believe?

Its not Geico's responsibility to make sure your license is legal or not. they'll simply deny your claim if it isnt.

If you're in an accident they will tell you that because you're driving on a foreign license beyond the 90 day limit that you're insurance policy isnt valid. You will cry about how you paid the premiums and they'll point at the fine print. They will win the argument, you wont.

Also there will be a police report and you will be in serious trouble for driving without a valid licence and without insurance.

You'll also be liable to be sued by the other party in the crash. Assuming there is one.

So best go take care of it. It only takes a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Texas law is 90 days if you are a transferring one US licence to another but they give you a year on a foreign licence. Insurance will probably be cheaper with a US licence. You can just rock up to the DMV and do the multiple choice rules of the road test and a brief eye test and then make an appointment for the road test. You basically drive around the block and parallel park (into a space you could put a bus!).

There is always a huge queue as 'regular' licence holders can renew online so the office has first timers, foreigners, people whose licence has been revoked etc. It's an interesting place! What visa will you have? You will only get a licence with validity until the end of your visa.

This info is for cars only - I'm not sure about the lorry situation.

Texas law is 90 days if you are a transferring one US licence to another but they give you a year on a foreign licence.

I may have missed it but i didnt see anything about allowing it for a year on the webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

InTheTrees wrote: »

Its not Geico's responsibility to make sure your license is legal or not. they'll simply deny your claim if it isnt.

If you're in an accident they will tell you that because you're driving on a foreign license beyond the 90 day limit that you're insurance policy isnt valid. You will cry about how you paid the premiums and they'll point at the fine print. They will win the argument, you wont.

Also there will be a police report and you will be in serious trouble for driving without a valid licence and without insurance.

You'll also be liable to be sued by the other party in the crash. Assuming there is one.

I was just about to post this - what you are doing is crazy.

Geico will take ur premium but will deny any claim and a cop in a bad move could impound your car. When I got insured with geico (I had a ca permit at that point) - they game me a full license insurance rate because I had a international license but said it was upto me to comply with local ca requirements for licensing.

I believe in CA you are supposed to act within 10 days - so at the very least I'd apply for an appointment. I think you will be Fine if you show the intent) You are going to have to do the written test - which with an appointment all in takes about 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OP you still haven't answered what state you are going to. Every state has different driving laws.

FatherTed wrote: »
    OP you still haven't answered what state you are going to. Every state has different driving laws.

Tx

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The OP said in the first post that he is going to be in Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The OP said in the first post that he is going to be in Texas

Got it. Can't read. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

InTheTrees wrote: »

Geico actually instructed me as I was getting my insurance that I would need to get an Arizona license within 90 days or else I would be under-insured with them. They may be willing to take your money and give you insurance but there's no way you're fully covered. Get your license ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Geico actually instructed me as I was getting my insurance that I would need to get an Arizona license within 90 days or else I would be under-insured with them. They may be willing to take your money and give you insurance but there's no way you're fully covered. Get your license ASAP.

Same happened to us in Michigan, though I think we only had 30 days from the start of our policy. Geico also called us a couple of times in that period to check if we had our state licenses.

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Same happened to us in Michigan, though I think we only had 30 days from the start of our policy. Geico also called us a couple of times in that period to check if we had our state licenses.

They followed up with me too and kept asking about when I would get my license. I was in a tricky situation. I attempted to do my driving test in a rental car but was told I couldn't use a rental. It was a clusterf*ck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

They followed up with me too and kept asking about when I would get my license. I was in a tricky situation. I attempted to do my driving test in a rental car but was told I couldn't use a rental. It was a clusterf*ck

In CA you can't do it in a rental either - I used my driving instructors car.

In CA you can't do it in a rental either - I used my driving instructors car.

I started work 2 days after I arrived. I didn't leave myself much wiggle room. It then turned out that only 1 testing center was open on a Saturday. It was a major stress.

I didn't take any lessons. I used some free online sample tests...that would let you answer 10 questions and then ask you to pay for the rest. When I look back at that...the fact I moved over here, not knowing another soul, got a whole new life setup within a few weeks with all kinds of obstacles e.g. the problems getting my license, BOI locking my credit card every couple of days, getting leveled due to no credit history...I'm surprised I lasted. At one point due to the unexpected added expense of keeping my rental much longer than expected...paying much more for setup and moving...I spent months in an apartment with a no lights.

I discovered when I moved over that most apartments also don't have fixed light fittings in living areas. :)

Got confirmation on this.

I am covered. The cars are both in my wifes name. She's a CA license holder. The policy covers me (and anyone else) with a license (Irish included) to drive the cars. There's no time limit on it.

They did however offer to discount the policy if I had a CA license also. So I'm getting a license on Friday.

Got confirmation on this.

I am covered. The cars are both in my wifes name. She's a CA license holder. The policy covers me (and anyone else) with a license (Irish included) to drive the cars. There's no time limit on it.

They did however offer to discount the policy if I had a CA license also. So I'm getting a license on Friday.

Ahhhhh ok. That makes sense. My sister moved over last year and got insured on my policy with her Irish license. That makes things a lot easier. You're still better to get your state license for sure. Less hassle when you get pulled over

Ahhhhh ok. That makes sense. My sister moved over last year and got insured on my policy with her Irish license. That makes things a lot easier. You're still better to get your state license for sure. Less hassle when you get pulled over

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have omitted that bit of info at the start. :P

I have been pulled over once here and I played up the 'top of the mornings' and 'to be sure to be sures' and managed to talk my way out of a ticket.

I had already booked the test before I got clarification though so it was the motivation I needed!

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have omitted that bit of info at the start. :P

I have been pulled over once here and I played up the 'top of the mornings' and 'to be sure to be sures' and managed to talk my way out of a ticket.

I had already booked the test before I got clarification though so it was the motivation I needed!

So I did the test last Friday, got the eyes done, answered the questions etc. I have to wait a month (backlog) to do the actual driving part.

The guy in the DMV said they'll just have me drive round the block as there's a lot of construction going on down there and they want to keep it simple.

So I did the test last Friday, got the eyes done, answered the questions etc. I have to wait a month (backlog) to do the actual driving part.

The guy in the DMV said they'll just have me drive round the block as there's a lot of construction going on down there and they want to keep it simple.

HaHa!! You lucked out. My US driving test was pretty easy. I did a quick drive on a freeway. Drove around some surface streets and then back to the driving center to do some parallel parking. In fairness, in California the test should probably be to see how you handle road rage while stuck in traffic.

It was incredible for me though...I did the written test, eye test and driving test one the same day and even went and picked up my license on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

You are lucky!

In Michigan, I had to reverse into a parking space (marked with small cones), parallel park (also into a cone space) and drive and stop at a line (of cones). Then a drive around the neighborhood (lots of sneaky 25 mph residential zones and no-turn-on-red junctions) and then onto and off the freeway. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

Even though I'd had a full Irish licence for 12 years, I was so nervous. And I knocked over a fair few cones - not enough to warrant a fail though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

biddywiddy wrote: »
    You are lucky!

In Michigan, I had to reverse into a parking space (marked with small cones), parallel park (also into a cone space) and drive and stop at a line (of cones). Then a drive around the neighborhood (lots of sneaky 25 mph residential zones and no-turn-on-red junctions) and then onto and off the freeway. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

Even though I'd had a full Irish licence for 12 years, I was so nervous. And I knocked over a fair few cones - not enough to warrant a fail though :)

I actually failed at my first attempt in PA!

The course was laid out in a lot behind the testing center. At one point I was asked to turn right into a square that was marked off. As an experienced driver, I used the room available to me to take this turn a bit wide in case there was anything behind this imaginary wall that I was supposed to be turning around. "But if there was a car coming the other way you would have hit it" I was told, and "If there was a car coming the other way I would have seen it and not turned as wide" wasn't accepted as a response.

It only meant that had to wait a week and re-do the test the following weekend. Maybe I was a really bad driver by that testers standards, but failing me didn't do anything to keep me off the streets :)

• Advertisement

I still do have the driving bit to do yet (scheduled for the 25th).

Given that there may be parallel parking involved I'm going to take the wife's car (Toyota highlander)as opposed to my car (lifted GMC Sierra pickup).

I can actually parallel park the pick up but it's tricky at the best of times, would rather not deal with the stress of that.

Advertisement