Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish license to US license

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

My husband had taken the test just before me and, with all my nervous flustering, I did a terrible job at readjusting the mirrors. Plus, we have a Jeep, which is higher up than I was used to. In the end, I was lucky I didn't plough through every single cone.

(I swear I do know how to drive!).

Good luck el statutorio!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I did my driving test in CA and it was ridiculously easy. I drove around a residential area (which was across the street pretty much from the DMV) for about fifteen minutes. The examiner talked to me the entire way through the test - what brought me to the US, how did I meet my husband, was I pregnant with our first baby or did we have more, is Ireland really green etc.

Drove back to the DMV and she said, "You passed, perfect job!" and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

My tester here in PA was a dick. Test involved driving some ruralish roads and I failed twice! The first time I was doing 40 in a 35 that was fair enough I wasn't familiar with the area and i missed the sign, the second time he reckoned I didn't stop at any stop sign. I was told afterwards that unless you jerk the car to a stop they'll say you didn't stop, when I was first learning at home the instructor taught me never to jerk the car to a stop, always release the brake before the car actually stops (ever since he taught me the correct way to do it I could stop the car with a full pint of Guinness on the dash and wouldn't spill a drop!). Anyway third time round we had about 2 inches of snow, the tester asked if I wanted someone else since he had failed me twice, I said no it's grand. Almost failed again because I took my wife's mother's car instead because it had 4WD but the high beams were reversed (pull instead of push) took me 3 attempts before I copped to it but your man let me off. Did the whole thing at about 15 miles per hour since the roads weren't ploughed! Passed! Oddly enough the only thing I was nervous about was the parallel parking but I got that perfect 3 times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Passed in San Francisco...it was a laughable test

1. Reverse in a straight line in the DMV parking lot
    2. Controlled right and left turn
    3. Uncontrolled right and left turn
    4. 4 ways stops
    5. Lane changes incl. bike changes

that was it. over in 15 minutes and the tester was a bit of a stoner, nice guy and was easy going

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

The test in WA was pretty easy. Had to reverse around a corner, parallel park, and some general driving with lane changes etc. Over in about 20mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Passed in Arkansas- it may have something to do with the teenage driver before me taking out a mailbox with the state trooper in the car with him! Trooper had to drive the car back to the testing center where mummy was waiting.... So when the trooper and I went out to my car, he said: "Tell you what, you don't kill us, I'll pass you." He also talked to me about Ireland, and asked me safety questions about the car seats (we had three in the back at the time for 2 year old twins and a baby, all still rear facing, which he liked).
    15 minutes around residential roads and crossing a highway and I passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Novella wrote: »
    I did my driving test in CA and it was ridiculously easy. I drove around a residential area (which was across the street pretty much from the DMV) for about fifteen minutes. The examiner talked to me the entire way through the test - what brought me to the US, how did I meet my husband, was I pregnant with our first baby or did we have more, is Ireland really green etc.

Drove back to the DMV and she said, "You passed, perfect job!" and that was it.

Carbon copy of mine in Illinois, same chit-chat about Ireland then done and dusted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

silja wrote: »
    crossing a highway and I passed.

My test was supposed to go onto the highway, but the tester said, and I quote "F*** that, it's 9:30, I'll be seeing how well you deal with sitting in traffic on an onramp more than anything, let's just go back to the DMV"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm pretty sure just pulling up in a manual to the test gave me an automatic pass (excuse the pun :P).

My brother came over last summer and he wanted to get his license. I told him to spend the day before watching the testers and instructors pull out of the DMV and follow them to get an idea of the test. The first one turned right on a red light into oncoming traffic. I don't know if he was more excited about witnessing a crash (no injuries) or the fact that he realised the hardest part about the test was to NOT CRASH. Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Did the test on Monday, passed, yay!

It was a bit of a joke tbh, did a few laps around the block, made a few turns. Reversed in a straight line. Job done.

No freeway (test center is right beside it) no bike lanes nothing.

Very very easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement