Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened at the PennyHill

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be alot of flowers on the railings outside it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

I noticed that as well, they've been there for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sid77ie

Been refurbished inside,and a new restaurant being launched.Now called "Penny Hill Gastro Pub".Could be the reason for the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Are they refurbishing the clientele as well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Nothing to do with the pub and nothing sinister...... Happened a while ago, a young lady collapsed and died on the pavement......may she RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is it just me or is that whole commercial area, lidl penny hill and euro spar etc full of trouble making young lads hanging around looking menacing?

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is that whole commercial area, lidl penny hill and euro spar etc full of trouble making young lads hanging around looking menacing?

There is always a crowd of them, but to be fair I've never seen any trouble or had any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

No, that's a gross exaggeration.
    I've never noticed, or should I say, paid any heed of the odd group of kids there. Any I've seen are innocent enough.
    I've been living around there for 11 years, never a problem with them.

Maybe you've an sense of anxiety against teens that is out of proportion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No offence but where do you expect them to hangout, did you not hang out in areas as a kid as group?

No offence but where do you expect them to hangout, did you not hang out in areas as a kid as group?

I get what they are saying. There has been an increase in them over the last year. Just hanging around the entrance to Spar and you could understand people feeling intimidated by them.

And in answer to your question about where do you expect them to hangout? What about all the green areas around the place? Or Hermitage Park, Griffen Park, etc. It's not like the shops are a place where there are things to do. It is a business area where people should be able to come and go without wading through large groups of kids.

foreign wrote: »
    I get what they are saying. There has been an increase in them over the last year. Just hanging around the entrance to Spar and you could understand people feeling intimidated by them.

I think that's just the summer holidays, although I still haven't noticed an increase personally.
    It certainly doesn't imply criminality, which the posters heightened sense of anxiety would seem to suggest

• Advertisement

And in answer to your question about where do you expect them to hangout? What about all the green areas around the place? Or Hermitage Park, Griffen Park, etc. It's not like the shops are a place where there are things to do. It is a business area where people should be able to come and go without wading through large groups of kids.

Reasons for not using parks is lack shelter etc. There is kids hanging out at the parks and there is also gardai in plain clothes patrolling these parks, along with a gardai car every so often.

Now I have heard the gangs at Pennyhill have caused trouble or the last few months, loud music etc, gardai confiscated a big speaker on wheels etc.

Don't get me wrong, not all crowds are good or bad

I'd rather a gang of kids were hanging around somewhere like the Pennyhill where there are security cameras, floodlights etc instead of in a park late in the evening!

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd rather a gang of kids were hanging around somewhere like the Pennyhill where there are security cameras, floodlights etc instead of in a park late in the evening!

Why? They won't be annoying people trying to go about their business or people trying to run a business if they were in the park, or their own estates.

Why? They won't be annoying people trying to go about their business or people trying to run a business if they were in the park, or their own estates.

You do know people use the parks for walks, running etc?

gardai confiscated a big speaker on wheels

Some 1990's Peugeot hatchback ?

You do know people use the parks for walks, running etc?

Yep. And they are used for people meeting for a social gathering and football. All of which happen at the shops.

Yep. And they are used for people meeting for a social gathering and football. All of which happen at the shops.

Because there is shelter there. Groups will always do that, where did u meeting up as a teenager?

Obviously they should not be causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Same in any shopping centre its called growing up folks..We all did it....
    If there is a notable problem the shopping centre management should be dealing with it...

Because there is shelter there. Groups will always do that, where did u meeting up as a teenager?

Obviously they should not be causing trouble.

I've never seen the regular groups there causing trouble and I don't want to make that accusation, they are just a nuisance at times. The only hassle I ever saw there was from strangers.

As for meeting up, we had a square in our estate. The only time we were around shops is when we were buying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Kind of going off topic here, but whats the pennyhill like since its been done up

Anyone been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Kind of going off topic here, but whats the pennyhill like since its been done up

Anyone been?

I was there for dinner last week, got a €10 for steak on the stone voucher in the door so just had to use it :)

The food was very nice and it was busier than its been for ages - hope it works out for them

Anyone been?

Was there yesterday for lunch, food was nice enough but the price of all the mains has gone up about 4 euro from before it was done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another crowd thinking that adding the term "Gastro" to their pub means they can increase prices by 30%?

unkel wrote: »
    Another crowd thinking that adding the term "Gastro" to their pub means they can increase prices by 30%?

Or worse, another crowd thinking that serving a steak on a stone or a wooden board makes them a gastro pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's the same group that owns Carrolls in the Village. That place is always jammers. Food is good though.

Same principle, but the premises being done up helps. How is it looking now... the Pennyhill I mean.

They own the PH (Palmerstown House) down the N4 too, old style pub, really local crowd, doing OK, but they need to change their tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I was over there recently and two gangs of lads were kicking two ****es out of each other. Another time I was in lidl and the lads were in robbing booze, big kerfuffle with them chasing off security guards and that. Just saying there seems to a threatening element at times, I was hearing reports about the girl with the boombox as well and the guards getting involved.

Advertisement