Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for with Used Rifles

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I am considering a .223 remington 700 sps. I know it has a 50x scope but know little else as its through a friend I know about it.
    Going to ask: Scope Brand, Barrell Type, Stock Material, What was it used for, any upgraded parts, age etc.
    Is there anything else I should be asking or looking out for with these guns? I know shotguns, but wouldnt be an 'expert' on rifles. Advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is only so much you can find out by looking or asking about the rifle. It's why no matter whether i'm selling or buying (second hand) i always meet on the range and fire the gun.

The first thing, and most important, is have someone with you that knows their stuff. Someone that knows about rifles (doesn't have to be an expert) or at least more than you. If you don't have someone like that then go ask the stuff below and then come back here and ask opinions based on notes you took. Never buy if unsure or on the "spur of the moment".

If i'm buying i want to check the gun and if i'm selling i'll fire my rifle first to show the buyer what it can do so regardless of whether they can repeat that performance or not they don't come back to me complaining the gun is not shooting right when in fact it's the nut behind the butt.

When buying i always look for the following:
    • Overall condition.
    • Marks, dents, scratches.
    • Dirty action/chamber
    • Dirty barrel/bore
    • Rust on any metal parts
    • Greater wear marks on grips/foreend
    • Check rifle serial number against person's license (seems odd but you can never be too careful)

Any of the above show a high usage and lack of maintenance. Any lad that presents a dirty or poorly maintained firearm doesn't care for his firearm and as such i'd be less interested. Not to say i'd disregard the firearm, but it'd be a cause for concern as to how he looked after it while he owned it and also a bargaining chip to argue the price.

Next thing i do is ask questions. Such as:
    • Round count. (Important for some caliber, but not for others.)
    • When it was bought
    • Was it new or second, third, fourth, etc. hand bought
    • Cleaning regime
    • Type of shooting (rough shooting, open fields. in the rain, only in good weather, etc.)
    • Any upgrades
    • Any problems that were fixed or need fixing
    • For any work done, who carried it out (competent gunsmith or lad from "down the road")
    • If threaded for a suppressor was it factory or aftermarket and who done it

For the scope you ask:
    • Any dents, scratches, marks, etc
    • Any issues with loss of tracking
    • Can it hold zero
    • Is it caliber rated/suited
    • Are the rings appropriate for height, the scope on it, and for the caliber it's on.

Lastly, if you can you fire the rifle. Look for:
    • The bolt cycles well (on an empty chamber) and without any sticking or issues relating to stiffness
    • The magazine or blind magazine holds the amount of rounds it's meant to and the rounds feed freely form it
    • The safety works and will not allow the rifle to fire (in this case dry fire)
    • The suppressor (if one comes with it) screws on easily and functions well when the rifle is fired. Well being it is properly cut and sits perfectly on the rifle and does not cause clipping of bullets when fired.
    • Fire a group or three and make sure the gun can hold it's zero.
    • Do a box test and make sure the scope returns to zero
    • The scope turrets are precise and not tight to turn as well as go through the full range of clicks (if you know the scope brand in advance check the technical specs online so you know how many clicks it should have in elevation and windage)
    • That everything remain tight after firing (rings, suppressor, bipod, etc)
    • You don't get hard extractions when ejecting the empty cases (could be a sign of poor maintenance among other things)

Again there is only so much you can do and once you cover as many of the bases as possible, ask the right questions, and either seek advice from someone that knows or have someone with you that knows then you've done as much as you can.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass wrote: »
    There is only so much you can find out by looking or asking about the rifle. It's why no matter whether i'm selling or buying (second hand) i always meet on the range and fire the gun.

The first thing, and most important, is have someone with you that knows their stuff. Someone that knows about rifles (doesn't have to be an expert) or at least more than you. If you don't have someone like that then go ask the stuff below and then come back here and ask opinions based on notes you took. Never buy if unsure or on the "spur of the moment".

If i'm buying i want to check the gun and if i'm selling i'll fire my rifle first to show the buyer what it can do so regardless of whether they can repeat that performance or not they don't come back to me complaining the gun is not shooting right when in fact it's the nut behind the butt.

When buying i always look for the following:
    • Overall condition.
    • Marks, dents, scratches.
    • Dirty action/chamber
    • Dirty barrel/bore
    • Rust on any metal parts
    • Greater wear marks on grips/foreend
    • Check rifle serial number against person's license (seems odd but you can never be too careful)

Any of the above show a high usage and lack of maintenance. Any lad that presents a dirty or poorly maintained firearm doesn't care for his firearm and as such i'd be less interested. Not to say i'd disregard the firearm, but it'd be a cause for concern as to how he looked after it while he owned it and also a bargaining chip to argue the price.

Next thing i do is ask questions. Such as:
    • Round count. (Important for some caliber, but not for others.)
    • When it was bought
    • Was it new or second, third, fourth, etc. hand bought
    • Cleaning regime
    • Type of shooting (rough shooting, open fields. in the rain, only in good weather, etc.)
    • Any upgrades
    • Any problems that were fixed or need fixing
    • For any work done, who carried it out (competent gunsmith or lad from "down the road")
    • If threaded for a suppressor was it factory or aftermarket and who done it

For the scope you ask:
    • Any dents, scratches, marks, etc
    • Any issues with loss of tracking
    • Can it hold zero
    • Is it caliber rated/suited
    • Are the rings appropriate for height, the scope on it, and for the caliber it's on.

Lastly, if you can you fire the rifle. Look for:
    • The bolt cycles well (on an empty chamber) and without any sticking or issues relating to stiffness
    • The magazine or blind magazine holds the amount of rounds it's meant to and the rounds feed freely form it
    • The safety works and will not allow the rifle to fire (in this case dry fire)
    • The suppressor (if one comes with it) screws on easily and functions well when the rifle is fired. Well being it is properly cut and sits perfectly on the rifle and does not cause clipping of bullets when fired.
    • Fire a group or three and make sure the gun can hold it's zero.
    • Do a box test and make sure the scope returns to zero
    • The scope turrets are precise and not tight to turn as well as go through the full range of clicks (if you know the scope brand in advance check the technical specs online so you know how many clicks it should have in elevation and windage)
    • That everything remain tight after firing (rings, suppressor, bipod, etc)
    • You don't get hard extractions when ejecting the empty cases (could be a sign of poor maintenance among other things)

Again there is only so much you can do and once you cover as many of the bases as possible, ask the right questions, and either seek advice from someone that knows or have someone with you that knows then you've done as much as you can.

excellent post - very detailed, thorough, comprehensive and simply to follow in an easy to understand layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Thank you very much Cass. That answers everything and will be a great help for rifle shopping; the complete "buyers guide". Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Cass has covered everything really,
    However I would also add check that the crown is in good condition and i would have a look at the screws because if they are all chewed up you can probably be sure that someone not too qualified has taken it apart as they didnt have the correctly ground or fitting screwdriver, which is something you may then be concerned about depending on why they took it apart.
    I would check if the barrel is free floating.
    And i would do a safety check, ie checking the proper function of the safety etc.. as cass has said and i would work the bolt hard and be sure that the striker dosent fire. i have seen that alot in work where we have a lovely rifle in the shop functions perfectly, beautiful triggar etc.. looks great however work the bolt hard or a shake, bang etc.. and it will fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Thanks Juice1304, appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

As the lads said Cass has covered most things. One thing missing though, if it's a friend of a friend as you said before and so a fella you haven't met before ask him a few simple questions. I find I often find out more from talking to the owner than i do from looking at the rifle.

Throw a quick question out like "Is there a cleaning rod to go with it?"

If the answer is "Ah Jaysus no, I usually just run her under the tap bud." Then back slowly towards the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

There's nothing better than the opportunity to put a few shots through a firearm, before you purchase... easily done, if your buying something second hand from a firearms dealer, or club member. Try before you buy is my best advice (even if only to ensure the gun fits you nicely) :)

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you look at the rifle/scope yet?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement