Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeating in NUIG

• 23-07-2015 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I've done 2 years of Undenominated Science in NUIG, but I'm changing to Health and Safety in September and going straight into 2nd year. I was expecting to pay over €7500 to repeat the year, but after emailing the fee's office they said the fee is only €1824, including tuition, registration and student levy. I was receiving a grant but I'm obviously going to lose it, and I'm a bit confused as to what I've to pay, any help is appreciated, thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What are you confused about paying?
    You are paying the fee to repeat a year which is the 1824 figure which is to repeat the same year level and instance(mentioned at bottom of this page https://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/fees-and-funding/)
    You haven't dropped out of your course and starting from scratch a new course so you don't have to pay the €7500. If the fee's office told you that you only have to pay €1824 then why are you confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BarrysTeaBag

What are you confused about paying?
    You are paying the fee to repeat a year which is the 1824 figure which is to repeat the same year level and instance(mentioned at bottom of this page https://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/fees-and-funding/)
    You haven't dropped out of your course and starting from scratch a new course so you don't have to pay the €7500. If the fee's office told you that you only have to pay €1824 then why are you confused?

I was convinced I had to pay 7500 that's all! Does it matter even though I've changed course ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I was convinced I had to pay 7500 that's all! Does it matter even though I've changed course?
    If the University told you that all you have to pay is 1824 then why the confusion?
    You have changed course but you have been allowed go straight into second year and are not starting back as a fresher.... You are simply repeating a year albeit in a different course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Claire159

Can anyone shed some light on this:

"The first year exams must be passed within two academic years from entering the course".

Does this mean if I fail the repeats I can continue on to second year and do the exams the following year?

Any input greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Claire159 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on this:

"The first year exams must be passed within two academic years from entering the course".

Does this mean if I fail the repeats I can continue on to second year and do the exams the following year?

Any input greatly appreciated :)

Could be wrong but I think it is to limit the amount of times you can repeat the year.
    So if you had to repeat first year and then you failed your repeat year then you are out.
    I know other colleges do this.

Not sure how NUIG works but I would think that you can't do what you propose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Claire159

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think it is to limit the amount of times you can repeat the year.
    So if you had to repeat first year and then you failed your repeat year then you are out.
    I know other colleges do this.

Not sure how NUIG works but I would think that you can't do what you propose.

Thanks Eoghan! :)

Advertisement