Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricity meter

Options
  • 23-07-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭

Hows things?

Just want to ask a couple of quick questions - hope this is the right forum for it but the mods can move it if not.

In the last year or so our electricity bills have been steadily increasing even though our usage has pretty much remained the same. Is it possible that theres a problem with the meter itself? Does he meter never have to be maintained or calibrated?

Also the actual box is wrecked and needs to be replaced. I want to get someone to do it for me but is it a job for an electrician?

Any advice appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭shamdrog63

as far as I know you have to contact ESB operations for that as the box is sealed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, you do not touch the meter. No legally registered (or even competent) electrician would do it for you.

If you're concerned about the state of the meter, then contact ESB networks to come out and take a look.

It's more likely that something within your property is using more electricity than you think. This could be pure oversight (leaving it on/plugged in) or it could be a fault with the item.

What kind of property do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭sonic85

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, you do not touch the meter. No legally registered (or even competent) electrician would do it for you.

If you're concerned about the state of the meter, then contact ESB networks to come out and take a look.

It's more likely that something within your property is using more electricity than you think. This could be pure oversight (leaving it on/plugged in) or it could be a fault with the item.

What kind of property do you have?

Thanks for the replies.

Its a bungalow in a rural area. The reason I ask about maintenance and calibration is because the house is 30 years old now and I wouldve thought that something as important as the meter should be checked every few years at least to make sure its working correctly.

Ill check any electrical equipment we have to see if theres anything amiss but I think the bills have risen by roughly €50 every two months which is a fair jump and I dont know if any appliance would cause that.

When I say the box is in poor condition I dont mean the meter itself its the white box that contains the meter - sorry I shouldve made that a bit clearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah well I wouldn't worry about the meter box too much. I think anyone could sort that out for you.

It would be very rare for a meter to be off, and off by that much. I've never heard of anyone getting someone out to calibrate a meter. They're old technology and pretty simple, so very reliable.

Are the bills you're getting estimated or actual? That is, perhaps your supplier is overestimating your usage?

You still have nothing to lose though by ringing ESB networks and asking them to send someone out to take a look at the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ah well I wouldn't worry about the meter box too much. I think anyone could sort that out for you.

It would be very rare for a meter to be off, and off by that much. I've never heard of anyone getting someone out to calibrate a meter. They're old technology and pretty simple, so very reliable.

Are the bills you're getting estimated or actual? That is, perhaps your supplier is overestimating your usage?

You still have nothing to lose though by ringing ESB networks and asking them to send someone out to take a look at the meter.

As far as I know its a mixture of both. The meter is read every so often which would tally up with electric irelands website - it states meters are usually read 4 times a year and estimated twice.

Ill make a phone call later and see will they send someone out to have a look.

Thanks very much for the replies - appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

sonic85 wrote: »
    As far as I know its a mixture of both. The meter is read every so often which would tally up with electric irelands website - it states meters are usually read 4 times a year and estimated twice.

Ill make a phone call later and see will they send someone out to have a look.

Thanks very much for the replies - appreciate it

Do you have copies of all of your bills? If so then work out how many units you have been using for each billing period and compare them.
    Has the cost per unit increase in the past year?
    Have you been using appliances such as heaters that use high amounts of electricity more in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you have alot to lose, they charge massive fees for call outs where not error is found

Advertisement