Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options
  • 23-07-2015 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Decided to chronicle a return to fitness as a reminder for the next year of where I am coming from and where I get to in terms of my running.

Currently injured and am unable to do any sort of running for the next few weeks so I am making due with what I can. Using this time as a pre-base phase doing what I can to boost the aerobic endurance before I get into base phase.

I upped my calorie intake dramatically out of necessity for injury recovery so I am eating like a horse but at the same time trying to not eat to excess given the decrease in activity levels.

Week 1

Monday - 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)

Currently working off slightly outdated HR but I am unable to do any sort of testing in order to establish current values. Not ideal but only using as a reference for the time being till.

Tuesday - 20 minutes conditioning

Mostly body weight work with no upper limb movement. Again not ideal but good chance to focus on area's of interest before I return to ground impact stress of running.

Wednesday - 50 min aerobic cross training (alternating HR's between Z2-Z3, roughly 65-80% HRR for 25 min)

Despite the injury I am upbeat and have been taking my recovery even more serious than my training had been in the lead up. Hopefully the effort being put in to getting back on my feet will spill over into the training when I finally do get going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nothing like an injury to focus the mind on what you really want :) Best of everything with the road to recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Good to see a few good new logs starting up,best of luck with the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with the recovery & the log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Really sorry you're injured. Hope you're recovered soon. Obviously not good you're injured, but interesting to see how its dealt with.

So no upper limb exercises, does that exclude swimming? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Really sorry you're injured. Hope you're recovered soon. Obviously not good you're injured, but interesting to see how its dealt with.

So no upper limb exercises, does that exclude swimming? ;)

:D

Haha unfortunately yes, I would probably end up at the bottom of the Liffey if I attempted it ;)

It's a bit of a frustrating injury as it rules out runs, bike (bar spin bike), elliptical cross trainer and any sort of exercise that has any sort of vibration effect so fairly limited in what I can do for the next few weeks. Thankfully I should be able to start running in the next 3-4 weeks depending on how quick heals, but any sort of resistance work is out for 8-12 weeks.

In mean time training by HR, paying attention to the diet, plenty of physio and rehab work, pending clearance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck with the recovery. Any particular goals for the year once you're fully back on your feet?

ps - really enjoying your contributions to the forum:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the recovery. Any particular goals for the year once you're fully back on your feet?

ps - really enjoying your contributions to the forum:)

Thanks,

The aim is a good cross country campaign. Given that the new scheduling is still not fully decided I haven't chosen particular target races just yet until see how the shape of the season lines up.

Hoping to use this as a springboard, to what exactly is yet to be decided

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Intermediates probably Sunday the 18th, Leinster novices the week after?

RayCun wrote: »
    Intermediates probably Sunday the 18th, Leinster novices the week after?

November or December? Will draw up the race schedule over the coming weeks hopefully and by then I can make amendments to training to accommodate race plan.

November or December? Will draw up the race schedule over the coming weeks hopefully and by then I can make amendments to training to accommodate race plan.

October.
    Which is very early. Maybe Cecil got confused...

• Advertisement

Thursday - 20 minutes conditioning

Had to get creative with this one as I was limited for both time and space so ended up with a good bit of bodyweight work in a very confined space (i.e changing room cubicle) Not ideal but working with what I had. In end a decent conditioning session mind you.

Friday Treatment + Rehab

Conservative treatment in order to speed up the healing. Good news is that I can start working on a bit of mobility work in order to ensure full functional range of movement in the arm after injury so rehab program beginning in earnest with 15 minute mobility work twice a day.

Saturday 20 min aerobic cross training at Z1 (approx >50% HRR)

Sunday 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR) + 20 minutes conditioning

Travelling Saturday and Sunday so fit this in late when I got home. All in all this week coincided with what would have been my break so the volume was decreased dramatically but enough to help aid the recovery process. Will start base building from next week hopefully and transition back to running before too long.

It has given me a chance to start planning an Annual overview in depth and hopefully do things right from the beginning and continue good practices as the training increases back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Bad luck getting an injury that halts most forms of exercise - how long is the recovery expected to take ?

kit3 wrote: »
    Bad luck getting an injury that halts most forms of exercise - how long is the recovery expected to take ?

Full recovery will take 8 -12 weeks but I should be able to get back on my feet much sooner than that just may have a few issues with arm carriage and no weight work in that period.

Optimistically aiming to be running in the next 2 weeks hopefully pending how the rehab goes in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Thursday - 20 minutes conditioning

Had to get creative with this one as I was limited for both time and space so ended up with a good bit of bodyweight work in a very confined space (i.e changing room cubicle) Not ideal but working with what I had. In end a decent conditioning session mind you

Changing room cubicle? you need to explain that one :)

Changing room cubicle? you need to explain that one :)

Had a bit of time after work but not enough to get home or gym given I am relying on public transport so the only place I was going to get any work done was work changing rooms (we have shower facilities)

Basically did all sorts of variations of body weight squats, deadlifts, calf raises hip hiking exercises and everything that I could think of that was running specific that could be done in the confines of a standing position with about slightly metre square.

In the final stages of selling the workout plan the US federal Bureau of Prisons after it's pilot program was a success :D

October.
    Which is very early. Maybe Cecil got confused...

juvenile even ages will be mid-October, and Dublin Intermediates might be the same day. Not decided yet.

Leinster novices are always marathon weekend

Week 2

Monday AM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)
    Monday PM 40 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)

Tuesday AM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)
    Tuesday PM 45 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)

Wednesday AM
    50 minute aerobic cross training - progression
    (10 minute increments from approx 50% HRR to 77% HRR)

Still on the hamster wheel of a spin bike but this week I have started to get back to consistent training and building the aerobic fitness.

These sessions have been coupled with rehab which is going very well and have seen a dramatic improvement in range of motion in the arm to the point where I can, as of today, lift the arm above eye level. Won't be attempting the hammer or any such event any time soon but hopefully before long I will be out of the sling and have enough arm swing to be able to start easy running again.

The rat race continues.....

Wednesday PM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z1 (approx 50% HRR)

Thursday AM 40 minutes aerobic cross training at Z2 (approx 55-60% HRR)
    Thursday PM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z1 (approx 50% HRR)

Friday AM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z3 (approx 65-70% HRR)
    Friday PM 30 minutes aerobic cross training at Z1 (approx 50% HRR)

Saturday 70 minutes aerobic cross training (approx 55-60% HRR)

Found the evenings a little harder to get HR up, not sure sure the issue but I would imagine that late night workouts are playing a role on this.

Rehab continuing and lots of mobility work (2x20 minutes rehab a day) have seen major improvements but a few aches the last day or two just reminding me that it won't be a quick process to be back to full activity.

juvenile even ages will be mid-October, and Dublin Intermediates might be the same day. Not decided yet.

Leinster novices are always marathon weekend

Managed to compile a bit of a list so can work from this to start planning atleast

Date| Race
    27/09/2015| Star of the Sea Cross Country
    04/10/2015 |Dublin Novice Cross Country
    17/10/2015 |Teachers BHAA XC
    25/10/2015 |Leinster Novice Cross Country
    08/11/2015 |Leinster Intermediate Cross Country
    14/11/2015 |Teachers BHAA XC
    22/11/2015 |AAI Inter County XC
    06/12/2015 |AAI National Novice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Managed to compile a bit of a list so can work from this to start planning atleast

Date| Race
    27/09/2015| Star of the Sea Cross Country
    04/10/2015 |Dublin Novice Cross Country
    17/10/2015 |Teachers BHAA XC
    25/10/2015 |Leinster Novice Cross Country
    08/11/2015 |Leinster Intermediate Cross Country
    14/11/2015 |Teachers BHAA XC
    22/11/2015 |AAI Inter County XC
    06/12/2015 |AAI National Novice

Good luck with the recovery and schedule...great to see a fellow rehabber planning for xc already! I'd say I'm 50/50 for Dublin novice but that's the target for the first race back.

Do you know when (or if) the Gerry Farnan is on this year? Should be the 18th, but haven't seen or heard any word of it anywhere, but I wouldn't have thought it'd just be dropped.

All the best with the rehab - you could well find yourself fitter/stronger at the end of the it.

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    Good luck with the recovery and schedule...great to see a fellow rehabber planning for xc already! I'd say I'm 50/50 for Dublin novice but that's the target for the first race back.

Do you know when (or if) the Gerry Farnan is on this year? Should be the 18th, but haven't seen or heard any word of it anywhere, but I wouldn't have thought it'd just be dropped.

All the best with the rehab - you could well find yourself fitter/stronger at the end of the it.

Couldn't find it listed anywhere even on AAI site under "Autumn Classic" again or on the MSB site so not too sure to be honest.

Thanks, yeah I am using the injury as a blessing in having a proper build up rather than chasing fitness for racing. Aim this year is to take a more long term and progressive approach to the year as a whole.

Novice will probably be the 1st target for me also with hopefully culminating in National Novice as the target race overall but will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Couldn't find it listed anywhere even on AAI site under "Autumn Classic" again or on the MSB site so not too sure to be honest.

Thanks, yeah I am using the injury as a blessing in having a proper build up rather than chasing fitness for racing. Aim this year is to take a more long term and progressive approach to the year as a whole.

Novice will probably be the 1st target for me also with hopefully culminating in National Novice as the target race overall but will see how it goes.

Was talking to someone in Msb last week and they said it wasn't going ahead. Ran into some problems but didn't get a chance to find out why.

Sunday OFF

Treatment and more importantly, the all clear to run a little bit earlier than I had thought so I was happy out

Week 3

Monday
    AM)4 miles easy (146 bpm/8.02 min pace)
    PM) General Core

Tuesday
    AM) 4 miles easy (150 bpm/8.17 min pace)
    PM) 5.5 miles easy (141 bpm/ 8.05 min pace) + Foam Rolling

Wednesday
    6.9 miles steady (155 bpm/7.51 min pace) + 20 min Drills

Thursday
    AM) 5.5 miles easy (145 bpm/8.26 min pace)
    PM) Foam Rolling

Friday
    AM) 5 miles easy (145 bpm/8.23 min pace)
    PM) 3 miles easy (140 bpm/8.42 min pace)

Saturday
    7 miles with last mile at LT (144/173 bpm - 8.35/6.23 min pace)

Sunday
    9 miles easy (146 bpm/8.58 min pace) + mobility work

*Daily Rehab of 20 min

This month I am slowly building back up. With the arm swing still limited I thought it would be a good chance to just focus on running by effort so running off HR for the next month while building up a base before going into general training.

Easy paces are slow for sure but I think it will serve me well in long run (no pun intended to build it up steady and methodically. It is also giving the base a focus without having the urge to rush back to full training as well as trying to adopt good habits with regards the supplementary stuff

The shoulder is also improving and have moved to eccentric stability loading exercises and though there is huge weakness there the range of un resisted movement is pretty good.

The weekend I had a bit of a polar outlook on. With my paces being so slow all week I was surprised to see the pace after of the LT mile. The other side of that coin was that my 9 miler saw steady regression of pace in the last three miles that obvious shows aerobically I am lacking.

Still it's a 50 mile week and a decent start

Week 3

Monday AM 4 miles easy (147 bpm/8.28 min pace)
    Monday PM 5 miles easy (146 bpm/8.58 min pace)

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (143 bpm/ 8.33 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 7 miles easy (140 bpm/ 8.40 min pace) + General Core

Wednesday AM
    70 min progression (+5bpm per 10 min) - 9.12 miles (153 bpm/7.40 min pace) + Hip Mobility and Strength

Interval 1 1.14 miles (137 bpm/8.46 min pace)
    Interval 2 1.17 miles (143 bpm/8.33 min pace)
    Interval 3 1.24 miles (148 bpm/8.04 min pace)
    Interval 4 1.30 miles (153 bpm/7.42 min pace)
    Interval 5 1.36 miles (158 bpm/7.21 min pace)
    Interval 6 1.42 miles (163 bpm/7.03 min pace)
    Interval 7 1.49 miles (167 bpm/6.42 min pace)

Happy enough with the start to this week. The body seems to be getting used to the HRM training and is has started to hit below the 145 that I was struggling to get low than last week. Monday's high PM heart rate was down to a short turnaround between the runs I imagine

Today's session went well felt in control at all times and the nature of the session meant that I was tuned in at all times to effort to the point where 9x1 mile loops didn't even get too monotonous.

Thursday 6 miles easy (144 bpm/ 9.04 min pace) + drills

Friday AM 5 miles easy (141 bpm/ 8.00 min pace)
    Friday PM 6 miles easy (143 bpm/ 7.44 min pace)

Saturday AM
    7 miles with last mile at LT (141/172 bpm - 8.13/5.54 min pace)

The long patient road continues. The second half of this week has seen a significant progression. Glad to see the easy runs starting to return to the sub 8 minute pace as well as sub 6 LT mile which was a huge surprise. The difference a week makes I suppose. A few more weeks till I start with proper sessions but if early indications are anything to go by I should be fairly strong by the tune that I get to that stage.

Sunday 15 miles easy (146 bpm/7.56 min pace)

Monday AM 4 miles easy (134 bpm/8.29 min pace)
    Monday PM 7 miles easy + 5*7 sec Hill Sprints (141 bpm/8.35 min pace)

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (143 bpm/8.05 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 2 mile warm up + 5*7 min steady w/ 3 min jog rec

Splits:

Rep 1: (152 bpm/ 6.59 min pace) , 3 min rec (140 bpm)
    Rep 2: (153 bpm/ 6.55 min pace) , 3 min rec (145 bpm)
    Rep 3: (154 bpm/ 6.54 min pace) , 3 min rec* (131 bpm)
    Rep 4: (166 bpm/ 6.40 min pace) , 3 min rec* (130 bpm)
    Rep 5: (165 bpm/ 6.43 min pace) , 3 min rec (130 bpm)

Total: (146 bpm/7.53 min pace)

The foundation continues to grow.....

Got to the stage now where I am actually getting to the point where the effort levels match the pace to be able to start running with people again so a bit of company on Sunday for the long hilly run with Dublinrunner. went better than expected although heat contributed to the HR drifting a bit higher than I would have liked in the last 3 miles. Happy none the less to get it done.

Introduced hill sprints and strides this week. Initially had decided to add the odd diagonals session to my plan but happy with how things are going to the point I decided to change my approach to turnover work and not confine it to a solitary session. Monday involved 7 second hill sprints pretty much all out with full recovery ala Magness.

Tuesday was another chance to catch up with people so had the company of TBL and quirky. This was the first time I was looking at pace rather than HR. Happy to say though that the HR's for this one tied in quite well for my quality day. HR a little high on the last two reps due to the progressive nature of the session and the fact it was damn warm. In the end myself and TBL both came out of it with exactly what was needed training wise.

Was also great to see so many familiar faces around the park with AuldManKing and Miss Overpronator kindly letting us guests share their home turf for the evening that was in it.

Mileage is tipping along very nicely with 72 last week so hoping to keep it going consistently till the end of the month at which stage I am hoping to get back in the gym as well as sessions.

The daily rehab continues (have now progressed to the use of light resistance bands) and I am down to a solitary movement eliciting pain so progress is there as well as keeping a good routine of general core strength routines, hip mobility routines and form drills almost daily (well 4-5 times a week).

Happy with how it is progressing and looking back on last years log I am in a better place than I was despite the shoulder setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus - pennys dropped. (157 posts later.....even the arm in a sling didn't click with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Jaysus - pennys dropped. (157 posts later.....even the arm in a sling didn't click with me)

sharp...very sharp

At first had my reasons for the anonymity but after a while and the injury I needed the log for focus and rather than make a big deal out of being back I would just quietly blend back into the scenery.

Was nice as well to be judged just on the words I typed rather than my history here. This place needs a new lease of life every once in a while so its nice for the old guard to take a step back and let others find there voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Was talking to someone in Msb last week and they said it wasn't going ahead. Ran into some problems but didn't get a chance to find out why.

Handed it back to Athletics Ireland - cant say why on here.

Advertisement