Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Is Tomas going to give it a miss after Rotterdam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

davedanon wrote: »
    Is Tomas going to give it a miss after Rotterdam?

Yeah not recovered (was always gonna be optimistic to be fair)

Guess my 2 mile PB survives for another year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

just catching up L, super run in GIR, well done & best of luck tomorrow!

Some last minute team selections through the week as ambitious as it was our 3 mile runner had not recovered from marathon a week previous (who would have thought) so after deliberations with el capitan we finally settled on pulling one of the lads up from the B team to run my 2 mile leg and I would do the 3 mile. Once this happened we knew the pressure was off. Last year we managed 6th in this but we were now missing our top 2 guys so it was always just gonna be about a respectable run and hopefully wouldn't be in no-mans land by the time my leg was finished

Our first 2 mile guy had his race of the year and this was followed up with a solid 1 mile leg. It helped the field was largest I can remember but we were sitting in around top 20 teams, not the worst considering.

Got the exchange just shortly after a Clonliffe runner I recognized from XC and set off to take chase. Managed to curb the usual enthusiastic starting 200 that usually happens in this race (mainly because I knew 3 mile leg was a different ball game and last thing I needed was to blow up. Managed to catch him at first turn which was ideal as we faced into the wind. Tucked in behind and took it quite conservative. He tried a few erratic maneuvers to try shake me but I was happy to let him do the work (plenty of other races to be selfless when you aren't running for a team ;)) Once turned down back towards start at about 800 I started pushing on and was joined by 2 SLOT runners who had the same idea and were tucked in behind us. Pace picked up significantly here (between downhill and wind on our backs) and came around the first lap to see a solid split 5.12 (perfect)

Second lap and I tucked in again behind the SLOT runners as the Clonliffe lad had fallen back a small bit. Was running well although pace wasn't as well salvaged in the second half this time as I came around to see a 5.25 on the watch. The SLOT lads had also broken away a bit and pushing on.

Start of the third lap and the Tom S from Clonliffe had managed to catch back up and 4 of us were still in touch with each other but the group had fragmeneted with one of the SLOT guys falling off and me not too far behind him while the other two kicked on. Came around the last bend and dug in for a strong sustained finish (5.25)

Finishing time: 16.09 (Though official results seem to have added 23 seconds to my time from our last 2 miler

Thoughts:

Overall ran to form and probably about on par with MSB. Considering the last min change in distance I will definitely take that. This was more about the club than individual performance as we managed to get 10 teams out in total which we were delighted to get (largest turnout for the club ever in this event which is normally a high priority for the club). In terms of the Senior team also a very optimistic result. With one lad from club moving abroad (1.48 800m guy) and missing our regular 3 mile guy (sub 14 5k) we were down 3 minutes in last year before we started but managed to finish closer to 2.30 behind our time from last year. Shows an improvement in overall club and not just at the pointy end.

Friday AM 3 miles easy (8.06 pace)
    Friday PM 4.5 miles easy (8.03 pace)

Saturday 2.3 mile shake out (9.24 min pace)

Sunday Road Relays (See report above)

Monday AM 4 miles easy (8.59 min pace)
    Monday PM 1.6 miles (8 min pace) - abandoned run

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (8.55 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 6 miles easy (7.57 min pace)

Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (7.34 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 7 miles easy (8.01 min pace)

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (8.14 min pace)
    Thursday PM 6x1km w 2 min rec

Splits: 3.24, 3.21, 3.20, 3.29, 3.34, 3.32

Friday AM 4 miles easy (8.36 min pace)
    Friday PM 4 miles easy (7.52 min pace)

Saturday AM 4 miles easy (8.20 min pace)
    Saturday PM 3x8 min @ LT with 3 min jog rec

Splits: 5.37, 5.37, 5.30

Sunday 7.4 miles easy (7.38 min pace)

Monday 4.5 miles easy (7.45 min pace)

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (8.20 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 8x300m (ish) with 1 min rec

Culmination of races I think caught up with me as I was pretty tired the early part of the week. Ended up completely bonking on one run on monday but after that was ok.

Decided to jump into club session on Thursday. Good group of about 15 of us running on the Tallaght AC 5k loop. Wasn't really too worried with paces and ended up just kinda going with how I felt on this one as I was taking this week as a bit of a down one to recharge the batteries.

Saturdays session still wasn't feeling great till I got going. Once I did I surprised myself with how I felt. Was delighted at the end of this one as felt controlled and big improvement on the last time I did this session on this course (about 6 weeks previously) which is a good indication.

Tuesdays session was stuck for time and knew I wouldn't get up to the track so decided to use a temporary grass track I found on my runs last week. Despite looking like a proper 400m it became quickly apparent after the first one though that it was a couple of seconds short. I looked at their 100m sprints lining and it looks as though it was slightly extended off the track so I imagine it was a case of the bends being long causing the issue. I stuck with it though and the effort was there and splits were relatively consistent, Was hanging on for dear life in last one. First proper anaerobic work I have done in a long while and left me on my hands and knees nearly after.

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (8.11 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 5.8 miles easy (7.43 min pace)

Thursday 8 miles easy ( 7.36 min pace)

Friday 1k-2k-3k-2k-1k w/2-3-4-3 min rec

Splits: 3.15, 6.45, 10.18, 6.50, 3.13

Met up with Dublin Runner for this one Was glad of the company as I was at the end of a 10 day stretch in work (all 7am starts) so I was running on fumes tiredness wise however once got started I was cruising. Overcooked the 1k reps but I was nice and controlled on the others and delighted to put the boot down the final 1k rep as I was feeling pretty good. Overall a very solid session.

Saturday OFF

Sunday Tallaght 5k - 17.10 (3.20, 3.17, 3.22, 3.41, 3.27) - 5.31 mile pace

With my racing schedule pretty hectic the last while and a good few races coming up I decided just to get a few weeks training done as such this one was just about showing my face for the club. This was helped by the fact that I was not eligible for the novice competition either so I just said I would tempo it. Offered to pace a few of the lads for around 17 minutes as well. Took off and the two lads tucked in behind me.

Knowing the course I knew that the first 3k are lightning fast but a decent climb into the wind was gonna slow things so true enough hit the 1st 3k bang on however at this stage one lad had kicked on and DrQ had fell back so I decided just to tuck in and keep the effort, Was surprised the pace dropped as much as it did but the same happens every year as I underestimate this stretch. Was in with thewolf.ie at this stage and aside from me making a few little surges the effort was still nice and controlled. Happy enough with it given no brekkie and not busting my gut.

Monday OFF

51 days running streak and as soon as it is broken I miss 2 days from 3 typical :rolleyes: Didn't mind too much though as body was fighting a bit of a headcold so no harm to just shake it once and for all.

Tuesday AM 4.1 miles easy (8.16 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 3k, 2k, 6x400 (4,3,1 min recoveries)

Splits 10.20, 6.41, 75, 74, 73, 74, 74, 75

Felt sluggish from the off on this one though was to be expected as I tend to be the day after a day off (hence why rarely take them and opt for active recovery runs instead) Running this solo, wind didn't feel too bad because of the warmth but I knew it was strong enough. Though I didn't feel great on this session it felt quite controlled (if that makes sense) stride felt good and I never felt like I was redlining even though was getting a small stitch in the last few 400s. It's one thing to hit sessions well but to hit the splits on a day you feel crap is definitely a good sign for the next few races.

Wednesday AM 7 miles easy (8.22 min pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

"the fact that I was not eligible for the novice competition"

Humblebrag!

davedanon wrote: »
    "the fact that I was not eligible for the novice competition"

Humblebrag!

IIRC I had a stinker that day but the 1st two lads were in top 5 in the race so dragged me to a gold team. Standing on the shoulder of giants ;)

Wednesday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.01 min mile pace)

Thursday AM 4.5 miles easy (8.24 min mile pace)
    Thursday PM 3*(600,400,300,200 w/2 min rec) 4 min b/w sets

Splits:
    1.45, 68, 47, 30
    1.44, 71, 49, 31
    1.45, 71, 50, 31

Legs were still heavy from Tuesday's session but none the less gave this a rattle. Body so not used to the quicker stuff and this showed as the first set really put lactic into the legs and that jelly like feeling was coming around. Managed to get through the 600s controlled enough because of the decent break prior but the 400s were cruel. Last set I was hanging on.

Friday AM 2.8 miles very easy (8.33 min pace)
    Friday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.23 min pace)

Saturday OFF

Sunday AM 3.1 miles easy (8.01 min pace)
    Sunday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.21 min pace)

Monday AM 5 miles easy (8.05 min pace)
    Monday PM 4.1 miles easy (7.57 min pace)

Tuesday 4 miles easy (8.29 min pace)

Disaster of a weekend. Work late Friday night, Darkness into light with the OH after that, work early Saturday morning and Fathers 60th celebrations meant that I didn't have a chance to sleep let alone run Friday night so was like a zombie all weekend and spent the next few days trying to catch up and get myself in some sort of humanly shape for the week ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thursday PM 3*(600,400,300,200 w/2 min rec) 4 min b/w sets

Splits:
    1.45, 68, 47, 30
    1.44, 71, 49, 31
    1.45, 71, 50, 31

Nice splits on the session. :) Might borrow that one sometime. Good session for promoting a strong finishing kick?

• Advertisement

Had been playing catch up the last few days. Muscles were sore and just generally exhausted from the weekend so not ideal however I thought I should be able to get away with things as I hadn't done a session since Thursday of the previous week and all the running had just been handy.

Prior to this during the week I was waiting on a shift swap in work and was kinda relieved to be not getting one, until a good samaritan I work with stepped in :rolleyes:. Even the weather seemed to be playing ball as the horrible rain and wind died down to leave a relative still and (though slightly humid) decent night for running. Despite still feeling a little tired I felt the conditions were too good to waste so I was gonna go for it and be aggressive in the race.

Full field in the race so would have plenty to chase. 1st lap hit 75 which was 3k PB pace which was exactly what I set out for (had nailed my sails to the 15.50 mast and was gonna see where the winds took me) was tucked into a nice group now and was solely focused on the back of a clonliffe singlet and not much else. Next lap and consistent enough coming through in 2.30. Pace settled a little here as I came through 1st KM in 3.12. I was on for 16 flat pace now a signal that the 15.50 was not in me.

At this stage the group of 4 I was with had started to splinter with two pushing on and two going backwards. I said feck it and put in a surge to sling shot around and go with the two lads kicking on. The 1600 mark and I heard a 5.04 split called out so I was in new territory as this was still closer to 3k than 5k pace for me but just kept thinking of those stories you hear of US collegiate athletes who bust out 30-40 second PB's out of no where and thought that for every 9 times you fall off there is that 1/10 times that things will click into place. 2nd KM and I was still on pace with another 3.12.

This however was where the fairytale ended and harsh reality came back to bite me in the a$$. I started to fall back off the guys and I was starting to hurt. Came to the 3km mark in 9.44 which was better than some of the 3km's I had ran last year but was still outside 16 min pace and all coming in the 3rd KM (3.20)

The crucial point of any 5k came now and I was in worst possible place every fibre of me was telling me to call it a day and save myself for upcoming races especially when I went through the 4KM mark in 3.31 which is closer to HM pace than 5k. At this stage a 16.40+ was looking a distinct possibility. I knew I needed to dig in as if I faded that badly I would have been completely demoralised. Thankfully I seemed to have a bit left after the last slow km so dig in and pushed hard. 600m to go and I had managed to reel things back in and I knew If I could dig in I would get under the 16.40. Kicked hard and crossed the line with nothing left. The last KM was 3.17 a big improvement on where I had been a testament to my strength and also what I could have done with better pacing.

Official Time: 16.31

All in all the time is actually really good being only 6 seconds off the PB which all things considered is a good performance. I know had I been more conservative I would have been in under 16.20 with a new PB but I do not regret things. I swung for the fence and missed but rather do that once in a while to test the limits than play it safe the whole time. I learned more from that than I would have from an even paced race and that is what matters for this one

Have to dust myself off and go again come Sunday.

Nice splits on the session. :) Might borrow that one sometime. Good session for promoting a strong finishing kick?

I have done this session once every year for the last three (much like last Tuesday's one) find it great for generating speed on tired legs. For me not so much to promote a kick but rather just to get my legs used to running 1500m paces while tired because I don't do enough of that training early season

Thursday AM 9 miles easy (8.09 min pace)
    Thursday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.32 min pace)

Friday AM 5.1 miles easy (7.56 min pace)
    Friday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.02 min pace)

Saturday 3.1 miles shakeout (9.20 min pace)

Sunday Sportsworld 5m

Playing the recovery game in between races for the rest of the week with one handy run with Dublin running and the rest nice and easy. Spikes for first time this season in the 5000m wasn't making this easy as the calves were tight as a result.

Not a whole lot else to report (Race Report to follow)

The Second part of the Trilogy :D

Originally not on the radar this year but since I moved to within a mile of the start and follows routes that I have trained on over the past 3 years it would be rude not to :P

1st mile got underway and I was running wide behind Feidhlim K and Catriona McKiernan however this was short lived as I spotted a familiar Raheny singlet of a guy who had been ahead of me all XC and road season by narrow bit and thought he would provide a perfect marker for where I wanted to be. Turned down by Bushy Park and a group was forming around him including Paul F who coaches one of the younger lads in the club so I thought ideal.

Hit the 1st mile in 5.20 a fraction quicker than I was targetting (5.25) but perfect as I knew fast start would be perfect place to get a bit of a cushion for small climbs later in the race. Second mile was a little slower but we were into the wind so I wasn't worried too much, feeling controlled though the body was still feeling a little sluggish so tucked in where I could as we came up to the one drag on the course. Coming up to the 2nd mile mark I slowed up a little being conservative on the hill. Felt I was running within myself and wasn't worried as the lads pulled ahead as I would make it back on the downhill. Second mile was 5.33 but didn't panic as I knew it was the slowest part of the course.

Continued to climb on the third mile to the roundabout and saw 5.50 pace on the watch, way too slow but convinced myself that was just because had only clocked off a mile so pace hadn't settled. Turned down towards templeogue and had broke the back of the worst of the course so now was time to kick on. Only one problem....... the watch didn't seem to be responding despite upping things couldn't seem to get the pace going. Slowly came down by Bushy again to hear shouts for an old boardsie from the home club. Just after Terenure college he passed me and I immediately tucked in, despite no wind on this part of the course it was habit. Mile 3 - 5.42

Mental arithmetic was to the fore and immediately I knew PB was gone, the questions was by how much. Coming around by the Garda station and no one seemed to want to take on the wind. Heard a female voice talking about us kicking on to realise it was 1st female (S Doherty) I was still not really hurting so I kicked on a bit with her in toe Mile 4 - 5.45. My mind was made up to kick like my life depending on it as I felt I wasn't hurting as much as I should at this stage of a race especially with the efforts I had to put in for the likes of GIR and even the 5k this week. Came around by KCR and the stomach starting playing up, a small bit of dry wretching, my body seemed to be building these up however as each wave seemed to become more intense. Took last turn with 800 to go and I just shut off completely and started running easy.

I was plodding along at this stage and suddenly things improved again and I pushed on. Was making ground on the few who had passed me during my little recovery jog though still was not really working too hard. Saw the line up ahead with the clock running into the high 27s. Upped pace a small bit but by no means a kick and crossed the line (Mile 5 - 5.44) in

Official Time: 28.08

I could make excuses like the race during week, heat getting to me, or other on the morning factors but I was never really there today and was just a going through the motions type of race. A PB that I should have been able to give a good rattle stays for another year atleast. Not gonna beat myself up about it as there plenty more races (including my next one Tuesday night). I was overdue a bad performance so glad to get it out of the way and still manage to do my bit to get a solid placing for the team (4th Senior team I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

A super 5 mile coming uup in dunboyne with plenty of competition for you if you want another go at that pb... G'wan, ill hide the good cake for ye :p

Firedance wrote: »
    A super 5 mile coming uup in dunboyne with plenty of competition for you if you want another go at that pb... G'wan, ill hide the good cake for ye :p

As tempting as it may be it would be Sandwiched in between 2 big ones (Dublin 10,000m Champs which is the target and Leinster Seniors Outdoor if I get day release for it) Will be dependant on how body reacts as would mean 6 races in May (7 if you include my tempo effort in our club race)

Monday 3 miles easy (8.18 min pace)

Tuesday OFF
    Wednesday OFF

Thursday Dublin Staff Relays (Part 1) (Part 2)

Splits:

17.32 (5.44, 5.59, 5.48)
    17.32 (5.28, 6.06, 5.56)

Friday AM 3 miles easy (8.27 min pace)
    Friday PM 3.1 miles easy (8.29 min pace)

Saturday AM 3 miles easy (8.20 min pace)
    Saturday PM 4 miles easy (8.10 min pace)

Sunday 13.7 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

Poor week to say the least. Had been planning to do Enfield but had to cancel at the 11th hour (house duties trumped race despite much protestation). As a result I didn't get out and weirdly began to get more tired throughout the day. This continued on into Wednesday and couldn't motivate myself to get out as just wasn't feeling right (though couldn't put my finger on exact what was up)

Thursday and still feeling a little sluggish but I was roped into running the Staff Relays. Unfortunately one of the lads in the company is an old childhood friend and knew I have been running the last 20 years so they weren't taking no for an answer. Ended up getting there and one of the guys was no where to be seen (had agreed to follow us out) as time went on slowly but surely we knew we were a man down on both our teams (half way through the first leg) Ended up saying I would run leg 3 instead of 5 to give them extra time to arrive (or find us in case they were already there but couldn't find us) One lad did show but unfortunately the other had no so one team was a man down so I agreed to run the 5th leg also. Tough conditions but I was cruising around in sub tempo paces so not exactly killing myself. All in all not the worst session and we even picked up a sneaky top 10.

The week then continued with my little slump till Sunday when Dublinrunner joined me for a run. Still not feeling right but legs well rest, RHR has been at normal levels and pace was easy so what ever the issue just getting past it and not worrying too much.

All in all sets me up nicely with a proper taper for 10k on Wednesday (I hope anyway) hopefully these feeling will pass but not too worried either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tonight, I should be down for it I think

Had this one lined upas a back up to Highgate just in case something cropped up at the start of the year. Good thing though as entries filled up for Highgate before they started accepting anyone slower than 33 min (although there are a few suspect times looking at the results that I imagine threw in some questionable unverifiable PBs :rolleyes:)

Was coming off a bad performance from Sportsworld and generally feeling tired an sluggish ( sleeping 2-3 hours more in the mornings than usual, a little unmotivated training wise a few days and just general sluggishness). Had been keeping an eye on the Resting Heart rate in mornings but there seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary there so didn't read too much more into it and figured with the scaled back training I would be well rested and raring to go.

Got out early enough and well warmed up. Wind was playing up a bit didn't bother me too much. Legs still a little heavy after warm up but to be honest it was usually a good sign so felt I was ready to go. Thankfully there seemed to be double the entries of last year (a whopping 10 people haha) and the cash for top 3 seemed to attract a few of the top lads with a few 31 min 10k range guys.

Gun went and immediately I got out well. Immediately the race started to funnel into a distinct hierarchy; top 3 lads going for a win then Krusty and then a group of me 2 lads (Donore and Clonliffe) happy enough with this as I knew one of the lads from a few 5k's this year who had just been slightly ahead of me and delighted to have a bit of a group around to work off. Clonliffe however wasn't waiting around long and kicked on to chase Krusty (a fools move in my mind as I knew he was gonna find himself in a world of hurt later in the race)

Hit the 1st 1 km mark in 3.24 This was perfect ass with the wind I felt a conservative start was the best approach (especially after the 5k two weeks ago it became apparent that winding things up was a better approach for me personally) 2nd Km rolled around quick enough to in 3.27, again a little slow but I figured its a long race and that could help where I normally fade a little in the 3/4 of the race.

I had gotten into a pattern of sharing the laps with the Donore lad by this stage in order to keep us together for as long as possible in race because running solo in that wind was gonna be a nightmare so every 600/700m we rotated. The next 2 km rolled along fairly uneventful (3.25, 3.26) and I remained consistent but a little on the slow side. wasn't too worried till I got to the 5km marked and it really hit home how slow I was (came through in 17.08/3.26 km) this was about 15 seconds slower than had planned and was going to be tough to pick up by that much to stay on for the sub 34.

At this point I was finding it difficult to take the laps on for the Donore lad also and he continued to lead and pull away. With this I started falling off both position wise and pace wise (Next 3 km splits: 3.31, 3.36, 3.35) The last split completely destroyed me mentally as it was a hard Km and the pace was abysmal At this point I knew I was going to be talking of a time outside 34.30.

I came very close to dropping out as I questioned the value of continuing.
    I was completely dejected and just wanted to skulk off the track and disappear. I had to remind myself that you will always learn more about your character by gutting it out when things are going bad than you will from giving up and I have seen how once you have a DNF in a race (thankfully have never to this day) it can become a very easy habit to get into. So came through the next km worst of the night with a 3.39 but thankfully at this point I had a small saving grace. As bad as I was going I could see someone in the not too far distance who was going backwards even more than me, the Clonliffe lad who had kicked on to go with Krusty had ,as initially thought, blown up big time. I dug in and though I had very little left to give I was slowly gaining on him with each 100m. I was digging in to try and salvage something but there was not enough ground to catch him as I crossed the line in a poor....

35.02 unofficial

Thoughts
    No excuse. I had people to chase, I was well rested and had a good warm up I just had nothing today for the second race in a row. Thoughts of how my training is set up vs something underlying over the last 10 days in the system have been bouncing through my mind. I feel I should be strong plus the 16.31 from 2 weeks ago is an indication that I am in shape so I do believe that it might by something not right. It is what it is though and I suppose can't win them all. Hopefully I can bounce back relatively quick although this was a target race so for the next few weeks will just be having a bit of fun with racing before a week off for the Euro's and then back to get ready for the longer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tough going and an unfortunate way for a goal race to go, given what looked like a fantastic training period.

If you were developing your training plan again - would you do anything different?
    Will this lead you to do anything different for Marathon training plan?

Kudos for not dropping out.

• Advertisement

This was supposed to be the bonus round following a PB but ended up using it just to blow off steam. With most of the gradeds the sprints are always before the distance races but tonight the 10,000m was the first race of the night so was a rare opportunity to give this a belt as there was no way I was sacrificing a distance race night just for a box ticking for the round numbers thread.

This was always gonna be touch and go. I knew I could go sub 60 when fresh but 30 min after a 10k where I had already shown I was having a bad night it was gonna be a struggle.

A few fault starts in the womens races and fact there were 3 C races and I was up last race worked to give me a little extra recovery before getting into it. warm up consisted of not staying still for too long between races.

Lined up the blocks and proceeded to try and remember how I used to set them up as a kid (not that I knew what I was doing back then either mind you) went to test them for a stride but got twinge of cramp setting in as I got into position so had to adjust them further back to keep the hamstrings at bay - there was gonna be no powerful start anyway :P)

Gun went and in Sprinter terms was probably a slow reaction but from memory seemed to be one of my better starts and kicked around the bend. Hit 70m and a voice popped into my head "well done dumbass this was a great idea:rolleyes:" coming down the home stretch and was by no means all out as I couldn't because I knew that cramp was just a half stride away. Considered giving up at this stage because I couldn't go all out so was about to be swallowed up (I was in lane 5).

Came around the second bend and I was waiting for the guys on the inside to pass me, only they weren't (DNF's???) at this point I was on the home stretch and said feck it the lads on the outside might come back to me. Lactic starting to build but the conservative nature of the race I wasn't actually terrible and held things pretty well. Saw the winner cross in about 54/55 and second was 56, it was gonna be close for the sub 60.

Checked the results after to be sure but

Official results: 3rd in 59.59

Job done, ticked it off the round numbers and got it out of the way. Might actually give me a chance of doing it this year as I always find the 400m and Marathon are the hardest, not in terms of ability just in terms of actually sacrificing training to do the events.

Tough going and an unfortunate way for a goal race to go, given what looked like a fantastic training period.

If you were developing your training plan again - would you do anything different?
    Will this lead you to do anything different for Marathon training plan?

Kudos for not dropping out.

Good question. I will probably need to get bloods done to rule that out but if they come back clear then would probably have to look at the training.

There were a good few races that weren't originally part of the plan this year but with a big focus on getting numbers into target races this year with the club myself and TRR have been trying to lead by example which probably meant raced a few more early on than would have.

Other thing was maybe longer tempo's until later in the spring but overall I felt it's been a very good training block and I know I have kicked it up a notch. I PB'ed over 5k and 10 mile and given that there was alot of 10k paced stuff I do think there was a PB for the taking but sadly wasn't to be if I am feeling myself perhaps Dunshaughlin could be redemption but again will depend on how I am feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The lad in second in your race is a training partner of mine. He went 57.7, so you were a lot closer to him than you thought.

You seemed to run the race pretty well from what I could see. Good start, nice and relaxed down the backstraight, and paced it well throughout. Hung on in there well.

You're probably the first person ever to run a 10000m/400m double at a Dublin Graded Meet. As George Hamilton would say, "History is made".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I always feel sluggish and tired this time of year. I usually struggle through and pick up again in the autum but sometimes it's a real battle and all my best races are from spring or autum. I'm beginning to think it's pollen allergy even tho I have no outward signs like itchy eyes or runny nose. Typically on any run in summer I have a feeling that I'm not getting in enough oxegyn even though my breathing is fine. Someone told me that this is a particularly bad year for pollen because of late growth. Just something to consider. I know how a sub par 10k track race can destroy you so well done on not DNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I always feel sluggish and tired this time of year. I usually struggle through and pick up again in the autum but sometimes it's a real battle and all my best races are from spring or autum. I'm beginning to think it's pollen allergy even tho I have no outward signs like itchy eyes or runny nose. Typically on any run in summer I have a feeling that I'm not getting in enough oxegyn even though my breathing is fine. Someone told me that this is a particularly bad year for pollen because of late growth. Just something to consider. I know how a sub par 10k track race can destroy you so well done on not DNF.

That's an excellent point.

The pollen count has been quite high and I found myself struggling to get up and generally tired throughout the day. It really does effect people in different way and not always in the usual runny nose and tear filled eyes sense. I can suffer very badly, even going on a very strong case of (legal :)) steroids a few years back to help me live some sort of life. This year has been different but still very noticeable. Definitely something all athletes should be aware of.

Simple steps like properly (!) cleaning your house and car can really help. All that dust doesn't help! Close all the windows when home or in the office etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Good run , id take 35.02 any day these days. 10k on the track is murder have done about 4 and never well. getting it done when not feeling right is an achievement
    Similarly I always find May a slog. Reckon its because of a long training and racing block,eg Cross country Oct- Feb and National 10k for me and am in a slump at this time of year.

Definitely interesting points worth considering alright. Have never had any sort of pollen issue previously (although funny enough did get noticeable smell of freshly cut grass on my shake out yesterday morning)

Definitely something to consider if still not feeling great in the next few days. Had half thought I just overcooked the 1st half of the year but have been pretty careful with recovery and sessions the last while so probably best to rule out other underlying factors first.

youngrun wrote: »
    Good run , id take 35.02 any day these days. 10k on the track is murder have done about 4 and never well. getting it done when not feeling right is an achievement
    Similarly I always find May a slog. Reckon its because of a long training and racing block,eg Cross country Oct- Feb and National 10k for me and am in a slump at this time of year.

I took 5 weeks in December with just easy aerobic running and the odd MP paced park run to break up the season before getting back into it to try and combat that long season but I did consider that maybe was just the build up of races in March and April coming to a head but the more I think about it the less I think that as I had a good base to work off but sure hey these things happen and just gotta try and learn from things and kick on. There is a 10,000m race in Stretford in August but its same day as Frank Duffy so dunno how feasible it will be especially as it will be in full marathon training at that stage.

Losing the love for this place a little again but decided best to keep the log up to date atleast.

Thursday 3.4 miles easy (8.42 min pace)
    Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday 3 miles recovery (9.05 min pace)

Monday 2.8 miles recovery (9.06 min pace)
    Tuesday 2.8 miles recovery (9.24 min pace
    Wednesday 3 miles recovery
    Thursday AM 3.6 miles recovery - (9.01 min pace)
    Thursday PM 3.7 miles easy (7.34 min pace)
    Friday 10 miles easy (7.57 min pace)
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF

Monday OFF
    Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (7.54 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 4 miles steady (6.42 min pace)
    Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (7.41 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 7 miles easy (7.55 min pace)
    Thursday 4 miles easy
    Friday 4 miles easy
    Saturday 3.1 miles easy
    Sunday National Leagues (Report to follow)

Since the Gradeds I was still wiped so decided to just rest up a bit and see how I felt. After a few days symptoms of a head cold popped up so could have been just run down or could have been head cold causing the lack of energy but took it very handy with a few recovery runs (the 10 miler was necessity due to errands being ran) with a few extra off days. Big focus on the nutrition coupled iron tablets and course of pharmaton and began to come back to myself.

Last week got back into the swing of things to an extent but nothing too strenuous. Keeping it handy for the rest of the month with no sessions to speak of before kicking into Marathon training in July (post a trip to the last Ireland Group game)

• Advertisement

As vice captain in the club this year I had agreed to assume control of the men's team for this one. Between leaving Cert, injuries and International competition team was fairly decimated so after running around for 10 days trying to assemble a team (including the odd crash course in field events) managed to assemble a team. This event is my usual steeple pilgrimage each year so I knew that was in order and the walk simply because I knew from last year I had enough technique to hey around without getting DQ'ed which would be enough to earn a decent amount of points (managed 4th last year in Premier Division with arm in a sling simply by not getting DQ'ed)

From the time I got out there I knew it was gonna be a hectic day. Last minute niggles, injuries, no shows etc meant the team was constantly shuffling and trying to chase people around the stadium trying to ensure we had enough events covered as well as trying to do on field injury management for some to try and see could they get through their events.

3000m Walk

1st up for me was the walk. Didn't really warm up too much for this given that I was chasing around the team but figured it would act as a warm up for the steeple. Gun went and we took off. It became quickly apparent that their were a couple of walk specialists of a decent standard so left them off. Never seem to be able to open out my stride enough for this to cover ground as well as I would like but foot fall is okay. Hit 400m in around 2.20 and immediately I knew I was going to be a damn big improvement on last year.

As the top three whizzed by me lapping once,twice, possibly even 3 times (lost count) I was actually going well and working hard. Technique seemed to be improving each lap also, first relaxing the body, then correcting cross body arm swing then getting a bit more out of stride length. Last year I came last by a good 7 minutes. This year I was actually pulling away from a guy behind me, so much so that he was being closed down with the possibility of lapping him looking like it was on the card (Saw 200m between use which increased to 300m over the second half of the race).

By the time last 600 came along the legs were burning. Distance runners don't use their shin muscles this much in a marathon block never mind one 3k race :D. Looked at the watch and saw that our club record could be in jeopardy (not sure of the exact time). This record was something that had significant meaning as my old house mate actually held this record so taking it would be all too sweet (not to mention the fact that I will never get withing touching distance of clubs distance records :P ) I dug in and put it what could only be described as a kick (not to offend the chain of command around here as I know its a contentious point atm) I bust my gut working soo hard to go as fast as I could without breaking stride and running.

Crossed the line in 21.23 for 4th (14 seconds under club record ;)) and about 5 minutes quicker than last year.

High Jump

This was not on the cards initially but unable to get our 2 of our 3 resident HJ'ers in the club had no choice. The plan was simple. Clear a height, get some points and be done in time to warm up for the Steeplechase.

Got over to the officials and we were running 15 min behind (despite track events being 20 min ahead) typical. In my hayday I had a 1.60m PB so when the lads were just having a few practice jumps of 1.90/2.00 I knew my chances of a underdog Miracle on the Ice style scenario were not gonna happen. Skulked over to the officials on the sly "Right lads, realistically what starting height you gonna allow here?" Thankfully they saw the panic on my face and said they would start at what ever height we wanted. Music to my ears :D. As I waited for the looks while they ran through check in and starting heights ; 1.70, 1.80, 1.70...... 1.30, looked around, was someone answering for me? Thankfully not and another lad looking like he was in the same position as myself.

Plan quickly changed. If I could beat him would be a successful day. Didn't expect too many jumps so as such didn't measure my run up properly and had a rough idea. Slí Cualann guy went and missed 1st height. I followed up with a 1st time clearance. It was coming back to me a bit. 2nd height cleared easy enough again but so to as Sli Cualann seemed to be coming into his own.

3rd height - 1.40 and completely misjuded and never looked like clearing the height and nearly came down on the bar but luckily avoided that to save my back the pain. Came back and cleared without too much difficulty on the second time round but thought this had ruined my chances of winning on countback if Sli Cualann managed the height.

Next height and things went to muck, 1st attempt jumped too early, second one caught with shoulder after take off on the way up, third time and a bit of an improvement but not enough and I was out. Figured that was it and headed off only later to find out I had managed to beat your man on countback.

7th in 1.40m

3000m Steeplechase

With the unexpected competition in the high jump the warm up for this was non existant. Few drills and one or two practice jumps and was ready to go. With all the running around all day and the other events I was loose atleast :o

My usual partner in crime for this event Timmaay rocked up and figured he would be the main contender for this dependent on how much he was gonna save for the 5000m he had later. Gun went and took a conservative start. 2 of the lads in our division took off with the premier guys though I figured they had never done the event and would come back and Timmaay on my shoulder (no doubt with the same idea)

Hit 1st lap in 79, steady given only 3 barriers in 1st lap. Timmaay began to pull ahead and a Wexford lad was up on my shoulder. Focus was lacking and a few of the barriers I came to pretty close to the lads and my strides were all over the place, a few stutters to the barrier, some reaching strides and even having to step on one due to misjudging stride pattern (normally one of my strong points). Hit 800 in 2.52 which was relatively ok but lads were pulling ahead. Legs weren't feeling good though and the day was taking its toll. Hit 1500m in 5.12 still in line for a PB but I was fairly flat now and new I wouldn't be able to sustain it. 1st mile was 5.36.

Second half and pace dropped, fatigue set in and I was having to stand on majority of barriers (which normally only do it possibly once in whole race due to fatigue. I was in a world of hurt but just kept trying to tick on and not give in. Slowed big time at about 2200 but with 800 to go I knew I was nearly there (Mentally felt like a short race given I had already done a 3k in the day which took double the time of this one :P) Last 400 and dug in just to finish strong but it was a hollow victory.

Crossed the line in 5th - 10.51

Was kinda surprised that the time wasn't worse given how I felt. In previous years I have finished in around this time fully fresh and well warmed up so all things considered not a bad performance.

4x400m Relay

This last one was another last minute as a last minute withdrawal due to injury after previous even on the day meant we had to have someone fill in. The options were me or a lad who ran the Race Series 5 mile in the morning and the 5000m here for us. As team captain I bit the bullet here.

Thankfully unlike 2 weeks ago I didn't have to worry about blocks as I was on the second leg. Our 1st lad had won the 400m earlier so I knew it would put us well up at start so pressure was on for Simon Slow twitch to not F$&k it up :p

Got the baton in 3rd (despite a poor changeover on my behalf) and went out hard. We were in lane 3 so as came around the bend I just wanted to make sure that I did everything I could to hold that till the break atleast. Half expecting lads to come by on the inside, no one so far....... maybe they pulled up??? as we broke Finn Valley lad had a commanding lead then Louth with me holding my own in 3rd.

No signs of cramp coming on so I was pushing as hard as I could half expecting the sledge hammer to hit coming off the second bend, No sign so far now was the time to drive it home. Started emptying the tank as much as I could and tying up a bit before remembering the golden rule of trying to stay relaxed (very hard when you hear a lad coming up on your shoulder). After busting my balls for so long I was not gonna give it up in final 30m and handed off still in 3rd less than a second ahead of an Antrim athlete. Job done and definitely the run of my life in terms of sprints anyway

We ended up 4th in the end and Chivito came over with a hand time split of 58.5 (very rough) for myself)

Body didn't thank me for a day like today but definitely one of the most enjoyable days of athletics I have had in a long while and definitely a grass routes competition which shows just how great the sport is as a whole.

Advertisement